BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

View Poll Results: My voice control:
Completely sucks. 1 50.00%
Works OK now but took some practice. 0 0%
Has always worked fine for me. 1 50.00%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

10-18-2008, 11:32 AM   #1
sethchan
Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

How good is German voice control? Other languages?

I think my UK English voice control sucks. I always have a huge argument with it when I want it to dial a name in my address book. So I'm thinking about switching to German when I get the software updated (which BMW has agreed to do).

Basically, I figure that BMW would never be able to get away with charging German consumers thousands of euro for a system that doesn't work because German consumers would give them hell. And I'm willing to learn the German commands. Plus, I think it would be cool if my car spoke German.

So, can anyone who has German-language voice control comment on how well it works, how good the voice souns and whether the voice is male or female?

I'd also be interested in knowing whether the UK English voice control works reasonably well for anyone else. Or any other language.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2008, 05:21 AM   #2
sethchan
Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep

Bump.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethchan View Post
I think my UK English voice control sucks. I always have a huge argument with it when I want it to dial a name in my address book. So I'm thinking about switching to German when I get the software updated (which BMW has agreed to do).

Basically, I figure that BMW would never be able to get away with charging German consumers thousands of euro for a system that doesn't work because German consumers would give them hell. And I'm willing to learn the German commands. Plus, I think it would be cool if my car spoke German.

So, can anyone who has German-language voice control comment on how well it works, how good the voice souns and whether the voice is male or female?

I'd also be interested in knowing whether the UK English voice control works reasonably well for anyone else. Or any other language.
Bump.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2008, 06:21 PM   #3
lwongveros
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

I don't know if voice commands have changed at all from the previous iDrive system, but I've used a 2007 330d's voice control in Spanish and it's equally as bad - one should not have to repeat 5-7 times a command for it to finally understand...
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2008, 08:51 PM   #4
sethchan
Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep

That's not a good sign.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwvlwv View Post
I don't know if voice commands have changed at all from the previous iDrive system, but I've used a 2007 330d's voice control in Spanish and it's equally as bad - one should not have to repeat 5-7 times a command for it to finally understand...
Thanks. I can't understand why BMW's voice control is so atrocious.
Appreciate 0