BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-01-2009, 06:45 PM   #67
AlBel1214
Major
Rep
Drives: past 135i, now c6, future M3??

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOCKBA View Post
1. Small fuel tank (it was pointed by many people)
2. No display in dash duplicating navigation turn instructions (my Benz has it)
3. No good trip computer (my Benz has it)
4. No reverse tilt down position settings (my Benz has it)
5. No auto up/down rear window
6. No extendable sun shield (my Benz had it, even two, if I rotate one on side, I can shift it horizontally, and I have still another one I can use on front)
7. CA should use real buttons as my Benz. If I wash 1ser, I have to remove my keys from CA proximity, otherwise a car continuously relocking itself
8. Very annoying seat belt chime reminder (my Benz does just few beeps and goes silent)
9. Car should have floor mats as a standard option
10. Charcoal filter is better than recirculation (my Benz has it)
11. Voice entered destination address (my Benz has it)
12. Point of interest by name, I have to enter category before use name and it isn’t obvious which category to choose (my Benz has option POI by name)
^^^ Does your benz have any of the things wrong with the 1? I can't really tell....:wink:

-----LS3 C6-----
z51 suspension, NPP dual mode exhaust(wild2mild),20% tint, zr1 replica wheels, gloss black fender stripes
R.I.P SGM 135i w/ some mods
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2009, 11:11 PM   #68
MOCKBA
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135 convertible

Not only. Benz has more backseat space, less harsh ride quality, less noise, better iPod interface and many other things which also better. For example auto wiper on feature which got many complains in the thread for 1ser. However Benz is more expensive, so there is no surprise. 1ser is amazing car for the low price we pay for it.
      01-01-2009, 11:33 PM   #69
former
Practical Idealist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i Coupe

Quote:
2. No display in dash duplicating navigation turn instructions (my Benz has it)
3. No good trip computer (my Benz has it)
4. No reverse tilt down position settings (my Benz has it)
7. CA should use real buttons as my Benz. If I wash 1ser, I have to remove my keys from CA proximity, otherwise a car continuously relocking itself
9. Car should have floor mats as a standard option
11. Voice entered destination address (my Benz has it)
If you use the side by side display option in the nav, it lists the upcoming turn directions. That will also stay on even if you are on the radio so you don't have to scramble to get back to the Nav if you are coming up to the next turn.

Not sure what you are looking for in the trip computer but the Bimmer has quite a few options.

You can turn off reverse tilt down by flipping the switch for side mirror adjustments to the passenger side. Then it won't tilt down.

You can turn off the "auto re-lock if it doesn't detect movement" feature in iDrive.

I've never had to pay for floor mats on any of the many BMWs I've bought or leased.

I believe you can voice enter an address on the 2009. I'd try but they have yet to return it to me with US maps.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2009, 12:42 AM   #70
MOCKBA
Captain
United_States
Rep

Having some info directly in dash is less distracting than looking on navigation screen. Yes, I am happy with my 08 navigation, so this requirement is only nice to have.

Under reverse tilt down position I mean a possibility of its adjustment. Somebody complained that can’t see curb clearly. I also agree that it tilts down insufficiently.

Trip computer of Benz is something unique, it always does trip calculation, so you do not need to remember to reset it to get your current trip parameters as mileage, time, MPG, and average speed. I also do not like that I have only distance until fuel tank empty display. I’d prefer to get info about remaining fuel in tank, because distance is based on current MPG and computer doesn’t know how it can be changed during a specific of your trip.

Relocking it is something different, when water spray over door handlers, CA starts lock and unlock car. The option you mention relock car if after unlocking nobody entered in the car. Actually I like this feature. Lexus had it. Benz didn’t. 1ser has it configurable.

I was surprised about floor mats, so I should blame the dealer who didn’t warn me that 1ser coming without mats. I could negotiate free mats if I knew about them absence.

Please check if voice entering address is possible. It is really nice to know if 09 model has the feature.
      01-02-2009, 01:25 AM   #71
m7ammed
Captain
Saudi Arabia
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Quote:
Under reverse tilt down position I mean a possibility of its adjustment. Somebody complained that can’t see curb clearly. I also agree that it tilts down insufficiently.
if I'm not mistaken there is a way of adjusting that , I could be wrong though
      01-07-2009, 10:36 PM   #72
former
Practical Idealist
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Please check if voice entering address is possible. It is really nice to know if 09 model has the feature.
Finally got my '09 back after the map re-loading and yes, you can enter your destination via voice command including all the way down to street and house number.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2009, 11:25 PM   #73
MOCKBA
Captain
United_States
Rep

Wow, it's cool. Can you also tell name of POI and get it found?
      01-08-2009, 02:52 PM   #74
ad78
Yr1OfD1
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F34 M Sport

this thread is applicable if you have like 2 or 3 dislike on the car.
but my god! 12 dislikes... man why did you buy the car???
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2009, 03:07 PM   #75
MOCKBA
Captain
United_States
Rep

Unfortunately dealers do not give a car for a test drive for a month when you can find all dislikes. So it is why people use net forums to get some feedback from real owners. If I have seen this thread a bit earlier, then I could go with other car. Another problem that owners are usually too much biased. They put money in a car and became blind. So getting honest unbiased feedback about a car is highly difficult. I like BMW owner since they guys/gals not so stupid and capable to see good and bad in their cars.
      01-08-2009, 03:11 PM   #76
Dave
formerly izzo/comeback
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 RC 350 F Sport

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.80]
recently very annoyed with the cold weather behavior of the 1.

Handles great in snow with DTC and blizzaks
but the windshield washer fluid does not work and the car in general does not perform the same in the cold ( anything below 40 degrees)

Glad i am in nyc where its pretty warm most of the yr
      01-08-2009, 03:11 PM   #77
zivilyn861
*void
Rep
Drives: 135i

I echo most of the larger complaints on here... my biggest ones are:
  • Can't see auto wipers LED behind steering wheel
  • Dual climate control not 'locking' to left knob
But, the two biggest ones that drive me INSANE are...
  • The passenger weight sensor... multiple times, I've put my backpack in the passenger seat, and when I start moving up hill, the seat belt alarm goes off... and proceeds to never stop until I get fed up and throw the bag on the ground.
  • We've all heard about the Comfort Access issue with water triggering the lock/unlock feature... well, mine tends to unlock the car when it's raining in between the time I get out of the car, lock it, and walk away. I've had to come back to my car multiple times to re-lock it after a perfectly-placed rain drop hits the handle while I'm still in range.
But I still LOVE this car. Any car you get will have its quirks, and the pros of the 1er far outweigh the little annoyances.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2009, 09:49 PM   #78
pghollysprings
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 135 SGM, 6sp, perfor pkg,

Hi all, I won't list what things I agree and disagree with , overall very happy. One thing I haven't seen anyone comment on is (at least on my US 135 SGM) the clear turn signal indicators on the fenders. I think they are really ugly and interrupt the car's lines.
As they blink amber, I guess I can't just pull them off.....
They look like bicycle wheel reflectors . Perhaps their's some way to tint them....
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2009, 10:16 PM   #79
former
Practical Idealist
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Wow, it's cool. Can you also tell name of POI and get it found?
Nope. When you go to the POI it makes you use the knob to select your category and then shows all the destinations on a small map with the distance from current location or destination (whichever you chose for your POI search.)

You can change the route preference though (Fastest, Efficient, Shortest) via voice as well.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2009, 12:32 AM   #80
b2nvs2001
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

If you really want to talk about the Benz: lets be clear - its a piece of crap.

Compared to both of its rivals (the 5 series or the Audi A6 or other japanese brands), it has a cheap quality interior (worse than Japanese mass market crap), poor noise levels during ride, a drive that is as sporting as an old skoda and reliability that is shite of late.

Lets compare this E class to its rivals and not the 1 series which is a good 10000 dollars cheaper (with all options) than the E class base price.

Awful, awful car. Would not recommend that car to my worst enemy.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2009, 01:51 AM   #81
MOCKBA
Captain
United_States
Rep

b2nvs2001, sure, let's talk about Benz. Please PM me, I do not want to involve normal people in the discussion.
      01-12-2009, 11:47 AM   #82
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
[quote=zivilyn861;316151]But, the two biggest ones that drive me INSANE are...
  • The passenger weight sensor... multiple times, I've put my backpack in the passenger seat, and when I start moving up hill, the seat belt alarm goes off... and proceeds to never stop until I get fed up and throw the bag on the ground.

Ha - I have that problem and so my groceries always get to travel safely with the seatbelt on.
      01-12-2009, 11:53 AM   #83
Notion-Za
Second Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: '16 M4 ZCP

the whole benz and bmw thing is EVERYWHERE!

Guys seriously, Have any of you seen the online advert audi bought out about a month ago? iits about a family and which family member drivers which car

Outgoing brother has an m3 convertible with hardcore dance music and materialistic Girlfriend.

The dad drives an S500 and doesnt know WTF is going on with the car, starts revving the crap out of it in neutral in a parking lot and turns on the windscreen wipers instead of the indicators :biggrin:

The "normal" other son drivers an audi. <-- BORING! :P

From being in a family where we do have a few cars i have learnt one thing!

Mercs offer a more comfortable ride and are user friendly with options such as a speed limiter, you set it to 140km/h and the car wont allow you to go over it. Its like a limiter that can be set. Dont get this confused with cruise control or active cruise control, its different!

Bmw's normally offer a more sporty and fun drive. My father has been driving bmw's for years and iDrive still confuses the crap out of him!!

In conclusion its not which one is better, its the drivers preferences. People who have half a brain will know how to use iDrive and set their car to how they like it, thus eliminating small irritations. Merc drivers just expect the car to pre-set to their likings.

Right now i love Bmw's and would not even think of a merc but when i do turn 50-something I will probably own a merc as they are easier to use with old people. When i step into a merc i always have this sense that the car has been designed to get your from A to B and thats it! with a few exceptions such as the C63 or CLK DTM. But thats quite pricey.

When I step into a 3-series with a sports pack or a 1-series with S/P I get a feeling that the car has been designed to be driven spiritedly and take breakfast runs on the weekend with it!

To each is his own! All cars will have problems that will bug you! But if you really like the car this will not be enough to turn you off the car.

a quick note to MOCK: seriously bud, you dont seem to be enjoying your 135. I think maybe a 335 would suit you better. Much more options and more comfortable. The navigation thing is a problem that would bug older people! The navigation on the 1/335 is perfect for me! I dont care how far the turn off is or showing the next turn on the Dial configuration. "turn left in 100M" is more than enough for me.
      02-16-2009, 05:54 PM   #84
Alpine135
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i Alpine/Terracotta

Uuumm lets see

1. I don't like the seat belt anchor i wish we had the clever auto arm in the 3 series coupe that brings you the belt. I just tore my favorite shirt turning around trying to reach the seatbelt

2. I agree the auto flashing turn signal should flash 4 times instead of three by the time i click the lever and begin to change it stops.

3. I agree with the comment made about the wipers. My Mercedes you can leave the rain sensor feature activated and anytime water falls they will automatically wipe, here i have to turn them on

4. I hate the fact that when you go into the 31 miles to empty range you can't see the time and constantly have to push the stalk in to temporarily see the time.

5. Whats up with this mysterious gas tank size. First off i can never get anywhere near 14 gallons or even 13 gallons without it spilling over. Then i get horrible gas mileage in the city even driving like a granny i can't average over 16.0. The mpg on this car is waaaay off. And to get the claimed 25mpg on the highway you have to drive at 50 mph who does that on the turnpike where everyone is going over 70 mph?

6. If you have the iDrive like i do you lose a cupholder in the center console and the one you're left with in order to hold a drink means you have to tilt upward your armrest. I never use the plug in extra one as its far off on the right side of the console and looks tacky. Poor thought there.

7. Where some of the vehicles functions are stored in the iDrive make NO SENSE, im sure this has been corrected with the new FIXED iDrive in the '09's. Example why is my vehicle data check system in the navigation section, shouldn't it be in the Information Section under Vehicle Info??

8. No tool kit, i remember and loved all the older BMW's with their swing down type tool kit mounted on the inside of the trunk lid. I know we don't have spares but still a nice flashlight screwdriver and wrench would help.

9. Whats this shit about NO ALARM standard??. Here i go and spend $47,000 on a BMW with no alarm. Oh wait its an option too at an extra $450, PLEASE BMW get your options task force fired they suck.

10. The auto open of the windows with the key is nice feature, what happened to auto close with the key of the windows and sunroof ??????

11. The Comfort Access has lots of glitches. First off if i open the door too fast while it's unlocking, the door will open however followed by this LOUD CLACK CLACK CLACK sound. Also, if i have the key in my hand and use the arrow to unlock the car and then pull on the door handle, it'll lock back up and then i have to try again and it gets frustrating. Also the ridges atop the door handle are intermittent in their function to properly lock the car. If i would have known about this hassle, i would have done without this option. It's really not necessary.

12. Also when the car is cold (after start-up) my brakes seem to stick at stop lights. I'll have my foot on the brake at a light and when the light turns green, i'll release the brake and the car is like stuck and then blamm it suddenly lurges fwd with a jolt. I figured that this is the start assist however isn't that suppose to only function on "hills" and not on "flat-roads" ?

Okay other than this i think everything else is just perfect, these are just the little things that bother me but i love cars and BMW's so i will learn to live with these issues and get used to them.
2004 Chrysler Crossfire Limited, SSB/Gray Leather, 5spd. Auto
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2009, 05:58 PM   #85
syenisch
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine135 View Post
5. Whats up with this mysterious gas tank size. First off i can never get anywhere near 14 gallons or even 13 gallons without it spilling over. Then i get horrible gas mileage in the city even driving like a granny i can't average over 16.0. The mpg on this car is waaaay off. And to get the claimed 25mpg on the highway you have to drive at 50 mph who does that on the turnpike where everyone is going over 70 mph.
Try driving somewhere between a granny and spirited. In my dad's Cayman S, that's the secret. The car is going to guzzle gas if you're accelerating at all, so get up to cruising speed quickly and then hold the foot steady.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2009, 05:59 PM   #86
syenisch
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i Gran Coupe

Oh, and if you're as unhappy as you sound, sell your car.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2009, 06:06 PM   #87
Alpine135
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i Alpine/Terracotta

Im not unhappy with my car, just unhappy with a few things on it. Also i owned a Cayman S prior to this car and it was a Tip and it too was bad on gas. Its just the nature of the driving in city stop and go it doesn't do well.
2004 Chrysler Crossfire Limited, SSB/Gray Leather, 5spd. Auto
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2009, 09:08 PM   #88
stovesax08
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i, X5 45e

That's weird about the gas mileage-I can easily get 27 to 28 on a flat highway at 75 mph