BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-25-2017, 09:05 AM   #1
PA135i
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i 08 CR-V

New Paint .. can I use a quick detailer

I had two bad scratches on my trunk. last year we had a big winter storm and hit it with a shovel. Auto body place said the best repair would be to paint the whole trunk. Got the car back yesterday and it looks perfect but they told me no polish or wax for 3 months. No issues washing. They told me the solvents in the paint come out over 2 -3 months...so no waxing..

Would a quick detailer be considered a polish? Want to keep the car looking good for the next 3 months until I'm allowed to wax...
Sparkling Graphite Metallic / 6MT / Terracotta Boston Leather / Sport Package / Comfort Access system / Gray Poplar wood trim / Heated front seats / iPod and USB adapter / HD radio / Premium hi-fi system / OE Tuning / VRSF Intercooler & charge pipe / BMW Performance short shift kit / BMW M Performance Handbrake Handle / BMW Stainless steel pedals / V1 hardwired / rear sun shades Pennsylvania 20 electoral votes
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2017, 10:17 AM   #2
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
No a quick detailer isn't a polish. I would just use a high quality microfiber with the detailer. Most detailer sprays have some wax in them though.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2017, 12:07 PM   #3
Greg@DetailedImage
United_States
Rep
Drives: clean and protected

You can certainly use some, but not all detailing products on fresh paint.

There are many products that are labeled as "body shop safe" which means they do not contain any ingredients that will interfere with the painting process. Products which contain silicones, waxes, etc. should be avoided.

If your body shop did the job properly, they should have sanded and polished the panel after painting, so telling you that you cannot use a polish on it is misleading. What they should have told you is to be sure you are using body shop safe products on it.

You're correct to avoid waxing, sealing, or coating the paint for 30-90 days (if they told you 90, then wait 90).

CLICK HERE to view a great thread on the Meguiar's Detailing forum where they have listed all of their products (at the time) and whether or not they are body shop safe. You will notice there are many quick detailers that are not listed as body shop safe.

-Zach
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2017, 03:43 PM   #4
PA135i
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Thanks Zach....

I will check the link when I get home. was wondering if your place sells a detailing product that fits the category as body shop safe.
Sparkling Graphite Metallic / 6MT / Terracotta Boston Leather / Sport Package / Comfort Access system / Gray Poplar wood trim / Heated front seats / iPod and USB adapter / HD radio / Premium hi-fi system / OE Tuning / VRSF Intercooler & charge pipe / BMW Performance short shift kit / BMW M Performance Handbrake Handle / BMW Stainless steel pedals / V1 hardwired / rear sun shades Pennsylvania 20 electoral votes
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2017, 06:16 PM   #5
PA135i
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

I just called Griots garage and asked them about what I could use on a newly painted body panel. They said Speed shine would be ok. I kind of thought speed shine might be ok but asking them put this issue to bed for me.
Appreciate 0