BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-19-2015, 07:03 PM   #23
mr.fabulous
Captain
Rep
Drives: Women Crazy

I very recently (two weeks?) have *very* jittery take-up when gently accelerating from a stop. It gets worse each time out. It could be in the drivers' head, but I kind of doubt it (been driving stick since 1976; put 170K on the factory clutch in my departed E36, still good-as-new when I gave the car away). Never felt something like this, it's quite unnerving. I just took my 92yo dad out for dinner, and even he feels it. I tell him I'm just going to wait for it to explode... we'll see.
      12-19-2015, 07:06 PM   #24
feeshta
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i 6MT, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.fabulous View Post
I very recently (two weeks?) have *very* jittery take-up when gently accelerating from a stop. It gets worse each time out. It could be in the drivers' head, but I kind of doubt it (been driving stick since 1976; put 170K on the factory clutch in my departed E36, still good-as-new when I gave the car away). Never felt something like this, it's quite unnerving. I just took my 92yo dad out for dinner, and even he feels it. I tell him I'm just going to wait for it to explode... we'll see.
I don't think it's us. I've been driving manual transmissions since I started driving in 92, and never had to replace a clutch despite putting over 150K on multiple vehicles. The only other car that ever did this was my 540i once it had about 175K on the clock. I think it had the same issue this car has, only at that mileage, it had earned it.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2015, 08:01 PM   #25
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by feeshta View Post
Yeah, I didn't buy it either, although I must admit your comment has me slightly confused because this is not something you hear, but rather feel. Juddery clutch take-up in first gear is what I was talking about, if that wasn't clear. In my car, it's a quite violent vibration at times.

The service manager claimed that it is due to carbon buildup causing fluctuating sensor readings that lead to inconsistent throttle application (as it is a drive by wire throttle) and cause the juddering in a sort of reciprocating feedback reaction.

Personally I think that sounds like a load of horse manure, but if it gets them to do a free carbon cleaning on my car I'm not going to complain, as they will still be on the hook for whatever is actually causing the issue.
ok so i think there is some confusion regarding 'shudder' and 'chatter'

what i'm referring to is 'chatter' where i hear an audible mechanical chattering sound coming from underneath when the clutch is partially depressed. I do NOT get a large vibration or any kind of major shuddering.

you could have fuel injectors causing that problem as well....
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2015, 08:40 PM   #26
feeshta
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post
ok so i think there is some confusion regarding 'shudder' and 'chatter'

what i'm referring to is 'chatter' where i hear an audible mechanical chattering sound coming from underneath when the clutch is partially depressed. I do NOT get a large vibration or any kind of major shuddering.

you could have fuel injectors causing that problem as well....
Yeah, I thought there might be a little confusion there. In my case, it feels like the clutch is skipping off the flywheel and refusing to smoothly engage. There isn't any real noise in the situation you described.

I'm curious how fuel injectors could cause this type of problem. That could explain one of the other issues I have had, namely the rough idle followed by a cloud of white smoke. Not sure how it would cause the judder issue, unless there were a situation where fueling was fluctuating so much that it caused this issue.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2015, 08:54 PM   #27
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Yeah, I thought there might be a little confusion there. In my case, it feels like the clutch is skipping off the flywheel and refusing to smoothly engage. There isn't any real noise in the situation you described.

I'm curious how fuel injectors could cause this type of problem. That could explain one of the other issues I have had, namely the rough idle followed by a cloud of white smoke. Not sure how it would cause the judder issue, unless there were a situation where fueling was fluctuating so much that it caused this issue.

ahhhhh that puff of white smoke with rough idle!!! that is the fuel injectors! i had that issue and had the injectors changed under warranty and it went away completely.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2015, 09:12 PM   #28
mr.fabulous
Captain
Rep

One mans' chatter is another mans' jitter is another mans' clatter. What?

I feel like I don't know how to drive stick anymore (learned on a '70-ish beetle a *very* long time ago). I can't get a smooth take-off, no matter how much I let it spin. Only within the last few weeks. Once she's a-goin', everything is fine, car runs great, no hesitation, no smoke, fast as hell (I love this little thing). I just get get her going without the whole car shaking.

I/We've kind of hijacked this thread, sorry about that.

I'm thinking my issue is DMFW. Time will tell, I'll post here when it explodes.
      12-19-2015, 09:26 PM   #29
feeshta
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.fabulous View Post
One mans' chatter is another mans' jitter is another mans' clatter. What?

I feel like I don't know how to drive stick anymore (learned on a '70-ish beetle a *very* long time ago). I can't get a smooth take-off, no matter how much I let it spin. Only within the last few weeks. Once she's a-goin', everything is fine, car runs great, no hesitation, no smoke, fast as hell (I love this little thing). I just get get her going without the whole car shaking.

I/We've kind of hijacked this thread, sorry about that.

I'm thinking my issue is DMFW. Time will tell, I'll post here when it explodes.
No worries about a thread hijack man. It's called a forum for a reason. By the way I learned to drive on a 1980 Rabbit Diesel.

Seriously though, if your car is doing it all the time, it is in much worse shape than mine. Mine only does it when it's hot at this point. You definitely have an issue with the clutch or DMFW that needs addressed. Wish it was a little easier to just take a look and see what is wrong before attempting repairs, but such is life.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2015, 08:43 PM   #30
mr.fabulous
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Seriously though, if your car is doing it all the time, it is in much worse shape than mine. Mine only does it when it's hot at this point. You definitely have an issue with the clutch or DMFW that needs addressed.
Two short drives today (six miles out, park four hours, six back), no shaking. At least I still know how to drive. Engine oil hits 250deg after five-ish miles and so it's up to temp, but apparently I need more heat for the shake to shake. I'll pay more attention to at what point this starts next longer drive.
      12-20-2015, 10:53 PM   #31
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

May want to consider flushing the brake fluid. Lots of potential issues that could be causing poor clutch/fw engagement in odd difficult to reproduce scenarios.