BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-22-2016, 04:34 PM   #45
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangplank View Post
Dredging up an old thread...

I am considering a suspension upgrade for daily driving and occasional trackdays (beginner/HPDE) and looking to get better handling with minimal drop. I'm considering with the BMWPS + Dinan Camber Plates.

Is there an advantage or reason to add the M3 front control arms as well?

Other than cost savings of doing it at the same time. Any other recommendations?
If it's your first track day you're better off just going stock with fresh brake fluid. Get familiar with the limit of the car and then add mods. And my first mod would be brake pads before touching suspension, followed by tires. But you may find that the PS or Dinan combo isn't enough or maybe too much for your liking. Going with stock will give you a better idea of what you want down the road as a suspension upgrade.

To answer your question the BMW PS springs will have the most conservative drop. If you're not stuffing wide rubbers up front, just go with M3 arms for the additional camber. M3 arms and plates will wear your tires really fast if you daily the car.
      03-22-2016, 05:44 PM   #46
Gangplank
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e82 135i n55 Sport w/ DCT

Garage List
2011 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3002 tii View Post
If it's your first track day you're better off just going stock with fresh brake fluid. Get familiar with the limit of the car and then add mods. And my first mod would be brake pads before touching suspension, followed by tires. But you may find that the PS or Dinan combo isn't enough or maybe too much for your liking. Going with stock will give you a better idea of what you want down the road as a suspension upgrade.

To answer your question the BMW PS springs will have the most conservative drop. If you're not stuffing wide rubbers up front, just go with M3 arms for the additional camber. M3 arms and plates will wear your tires really fast if you daily the car.
I probably should have mentioned that my 135i has 43k miles, so the suspension will be coming due for some maintenance bits at some point. Also, I should have put that I'm a beginner for car trackdays, but I've done quite a few trackdays on motorcycles (riding in A group & club racing).

So between the camber plates vs. M3 control arms is there an advantage to one vs. the other?
      03-22-2016, 10:33 PM   #47
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangplank View Post
I probably should have mentioned that my 135i has 43k miles, so the suspension will be coming due for some maintenance bits at some point. Also, I should have put that I'm a beginner for car trackdays, but I've done quite a few trackdays on motorcycles (riding in A group & club racing).

So between the camber plates vs. M3 control arms is there an advantage to one vs. the other?
Both add camber. Plates will help with wider wheel fitments but will add a little stack height and may add NVH depending on type. M3 will not help with wheel fitment but won't add to NVH neither.