BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-27-2008, 06:05 PM   #1
twelveup
Private
Rep
Drives: 135i and 328i Sport Wagon

Exactly how do the adaptive headlights work?

So far I can tell that both the inner and outer headlights move. I can also figure out that the outer lamps are both low and high beams. So are the inner lamps only for turning? Exactly when do they come on and for how long? Does anyone have a really good handle on this? Thanks!
      10-27-2008, 07:10 PM   #2
Yearofthe1
An ex-addict :-(
Rep
Drives: VFR1200F

Have someone sit in the car and turn the steering wheel left and right. You'll get all the answers you need.

But if you don't want to do that, only the outer lamps move. The inner ones light up on the side of the turn only, i.e. left inner lamp for left turn, right inner lamp right turn.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

We search for certainty and call what we find destiny. Everything is possible, yet only one thing happens.
-Michael and Ellen Kaplan
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2008, 07:11 PM   #3
Bavarian MW
lurker
Rep
Drives: 16 s1000r 17 M240i 18 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by twelveup View Post
So far I can tell that both the inner and outer headlights move. I can also figure out that the outer lamps are both low and high beams. So are the inner lamps only for turning? Exactly when do they come on and for how long? Does anyone have a really good handle on this? Thanks!
Hmm, I am really just a lurker over here with a low post count (+1), BUT I know people will really slam you for asking questions
without searching first. I happen to know the adaptive headlights, angel eyes, cornering lights, etc. have been discussed many times before.

I am not the type of person to bash you for not searching, but wanted to warn you before someone else did. :wink:
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2008, 07:35 PM   #4
ichiban
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

^ lol, well also when u reverse, both inner lights come on.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2008, 11:12 PM   #5
1ToBeOn2Wheels
Freude am Fahren
United_States
Rep
Drives: B9 Audi S5 Coupe

:reposthorse:
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2008, 11:38 PM   #6
BMWTT135i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i MT

repost!

BTW here is a video of them at work:
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2008, 11:43 PM   #7
MatthewDFW
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '02 X5

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
They also move up and down (e.g., when cresting a hill or leveling out at the bottom of a down-grade). Engineers at BMW worked hard to emulate the natural movements of human eyes, tracking slightly ahead of curves and elevations. The most commonly-cited example is how you would look a little ahead of the next curve or climb on a roller-coaster, instead of straight ahead.
===============
Our wee twin turbos may be smallish, but they doth mashie yon backside deeply seatwise.
===============

Appreciate 0
      10-28-2008, 07:39 AM   #8
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWTT135i View Post
repost!

BTW here is a video of them at work:

Here's a better version of the same video. Youtube squashes stuff that was shot in 16:9 and it makes it look strange.

Appreciate 0
      10-28-2008, 08:56 AM   #9
Yearofthe1
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewDFW View Post
They also move up and down (e.g., when cresting a hill or leveling out at the bottom of a down-grade). Engineers at BMW worked hard to emulate the natural movements of human eyes, tracking slightly ahead of curves and elevations. The most commonly-cited example is how you would look a little ahead of the next curve or climb on a roller-coaster, instead of straight ahead.
Are you sure about this one? I'm not saying I don't believe you, but I've yet to notice this in action. Where have you read this and what do I need to do to see it working.

Wouldn't the car need nome sort of forward-looking radar in order to make this work? How does it know you're coming to a crest or a dip? I can imagine some kind of accelerometer could do the trick, although you'd be deep into the dip or crest before the headlights responded, and this wouldn't offer much advantage.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

We search for certainty and call what we find destiny. Everything is possible, yet only one thing happens.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2008, 10:21 AM   #10
MikeCCrutchfield
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Vert

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yearofthe1 View Post
Are you sure about this one? I'm not saying I don't believe you, but I've yet to notice this in action. Where have you read this and what do I need to do to see it working.

Wouldn't the car need nome sort of forward-looking radar in order to make this work? How does it know you're coming to a crest or a dip? I can imagine some kind of accelerometer could do the trick, although you'd be deep into the dip or crest before the headlights responded, and this wouldn't offer much advantage.
Actually, as the front suspension extends at the crest of the hill (but the back stays firm) until it crests, the headlights will dip a little bit because it will act like the car has a heavy load in back. There are two sensors, on on the front suspension, one one the back, and that is how it levels the headlights.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2008, 10:37 AM   #11
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:

It's more for keeping the car level under braking than for cresting hills.
You can see this in action by going out on a dark road, putting the headlights on high (it works on low but it's not as obvious), and hitting the brakes hard then let off. You'll see that the headlights correct for the angle of the car under braking instead of just dipping like normal lights.

You can nail the throttle at low speeds and get the same response as the nose raises up. It's pretty cool.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2008, 11:22 AM   #12
Yearofthe1
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeCCrutchfield View Post
Actually, as the front suspension extends at the crest of the hill (but the back stays firm) until it crests, the headlights will dip a little bit because it will act like the car has a heavy load in back. There are two sensors, on on the front suspension, one one the back, and that is how it levels the headlights.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyc74 View Post
It's more for keeping the car level under braking than for cresting hills.
You can see this in action by going out on a dark road, putting the headlights on high (it works on low but it's not as obvious), and hitting the brakes hard then let off. You'll see that the headlights correct for the angle of the car under braking instead of just dipping like normal lights.

You can nail the throttle at low speeds and get the same response as the nose raises up. It's pretty cool.
Thanks guys. I was wondering how this worked and a set of suspension sensors does make perfect sense. I'll try this the next dark lonely night I'm on the road. I read somewhere else that you can compare the effect of this vertical leveling by switching from the adaptive setting to the manual setting and seeing the difference.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Appreciate 0
      10-28-2008, 12:49 PM   #13
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks guys. I was wondering how this worked and a set of suspension sensors does make perfect sense. I'll try this the next dark lonely night I'm on the road. I read somewhere else that you can compare the effect of this vertical leveling by switching from the adaptive setting to the manual setting and seeing the difference.

You can also see them go up and down when you first start the car up if the switch is in the Auto setting.

I discovered the suspension sensors while I was under the car doing some work, and it wasn't until later that night that I figured out what they were for. Up until then I thought they were just using a level sensor to make it work, but the suspension travel sensors make much more sense.

I've always wondered if putting lowering springs on the car changes the headlight angle. It seems like it would if the front is dropped more than the rear.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2008, 08:40 PM   #14
twelveup
Private
Rep
Drives: 135i and 328i Sport Wagon

To all you forum Nazis, if you don't want to read the post, then don't read the post. I DID search for a clear answer to this question under several different search terms and found nothing that was clear and cogent about exactly what was going on up in the front of the car as I drive.
To those who provided an actual answer, thanks a lot. Much appreciated! It is a really amazing system. If they were going for an approximation of what the human eye does, they're pretty close to the mark. Those lights are always where you want them.
      01-18-2009, 06:21 AM   #15
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Fast ones

Does anyone know if the adaptive headlight stop being adaptive at a certain speed, or does it work no matter what speed you are travelling? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2009, 08:59 AM   #16
ZIPNBYE
Let's save military ranks for those who earn it!
Canada
Rep
Drives: ...on the Ragged Edge

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAY View Post
Does anyone know if the adaptive headlight stop being adaptive at a certain speed, or does it work no matter what speed you are travelling? Thanks.
If they're on, they're on, regardless of speed. If you've got the headlight switch set to ON, but not the A-ON, then they won't work, again, regardless of speed.

Recognize that at higher speeds, you're likely making smaller steering inputs (or the road's a lot straigher, hence your higher speed) and their movements may not be so evident.
2011 BMW 1-series M Coupe (#205/220) -- Valencia Orange (sold)
2009 BMW 135i M-Sport Coupe -- Space Grey (sold)
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2009, 09:46 AM   #17
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

Here is what the manual says on the topic.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-18-2009, 11:58 AM   #18
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAY View Post

I can verify that they still do their thing at just over 100MPH. Beyond that I'm not sure, I've never hit a significant curve any faster than that at night.

In the video I have posted you can see that I was nearing 80MPH in certain sections, and they were still moving around.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2009, 11:15 AM   #19
MZWIE
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

For the most part I like them. However, when doing spirited driving on a twisty road it is very disconcerting. I instinctively tend to follow the lights as they dance back and forth and loose sight of the road ahead.

So in these cases I turn off the adaptive part and go to normal.
Appreciate 0