05-08-2012, 05:44 PM   #45
RaptorKTM
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1 M Coupe

Garage List
2011 BMW 1 M  [0.00]
Issue is that the plastic which is the material of the clear bra is bound to turn yellow. On dark color cars id maybe consider it. On white or light color cars I feel that clear bra is not a great idea. I just had a buddy touch up 6 rock chips in his front bumper, cost him 75 bucks at a top notch body shop and you cant even see the old remains. After it gets bad he will just re paint the bumper and it will cost probably 4-500 dollars and be better then factory more then likely.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 03:37 PM   #46
firechicken99
Major
Rep
Drives: Black '07 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaptorKTM View Post
Issue is that the plastic which is the material of the clear bra is bound to turn yellow. On dark color cars id maybe consider it. On white or light color cars I feel that clear bra is not a great idea. I just had a buddy touch up 6 rock chips in his front bumper, cost him 75 bucks at a top notch body shop and you cant even see the old remains. After it gets bad he will just re paint the bumper and it will cost probably 4-500 dollars and be better then factory more then likely.
It's been my experience that resprays are never asbgoodnas factory (although as I noted apparently VO isn't very strong)
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 07:34 PM   #47
Shaunski
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2012 1 Series M Coupe (VO)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianf View Post
I have the 3M PPF. Problem is that if it gets hit by a stone it looks pretty bad as it can tear the film. The paint is ok, but the PPF looks damaged. I have already had the PPF replaced on the rear arches as the PPF was chipped.

Also normal imperfections such as watermarks etc can't be fixed on the PFF, as cant use abrasive or chemicals on it, only sealants.
where did you get your 3M PPF from? I am picking up my 1M in the next few days and after months of reading the forums I definitely want to protect my car. I heard of Ozicozi in Artarmon but they seem to have visible edges when they cover the car ( i assume because the film is thicker than say vinyl)
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2012, 04:27 PM   #48
Shaunski
Australia
Rep

Quote:
OziCozi meant to be the best in Sydney/AUS. I have full front-end done. You are welcome to have a look at mine if you wish?

Also if you get a quote mention this forum & referral for a better price
Thanks! I will mention the forum. I'm thinking of doing all way round to cover the flares too as i heard some members had stone chips there too.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2012, 08:50 PM   #49
Shaunski
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Yes, do the lower rear arches as these WILL get chipped. I have already had the film replaced there.

I did full bonnet, front bumper, half front arches, mirrors, rear lower arches....around ~$1100.
Coolies! thanks for the tip, def want to meet up when it arrives. We should do a bigish one with all the Aussie 1Ms a bit like the Ace Cafe meet by Jezzer.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2012, 05:41 PM   #50
YoungGuns
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Hey guys, so I got a quote back from a local guy who does the clear bras. For full hood, Bumper, Front quarter panels, rocker panels, mirror cover, headlights, rear fender, and a bit of the rear bumper where trunk closes he's charing me $1600 CDN. which is probably $1500 ish USD.

He's going to be using Venture Shield on full hood and front quarter panels, and 3m Scotchgard on the rest. I'm not sure why he's not using Venture Shield for all panels... he didn't really explain why other than the size of each sheet where Venture Shield comes in larger sizes.

Some people are telling me to go with Xpel, but the guy said it's going to be around $500 more, and he said Xpel PPF's don't have the simulated orange peel texture so it might look a bit off compared to panels that are not covered.

What do you guys think about the price? He seems very experienced, has done this since 2004 and done a lot of Bimmers for local BMW dealerships... recently finished a job on an Aventador. So based on that I'm thinking he's pretty good.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2012, 08:18 PM   #51
bdaddylo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3

Garage List
Did he give you a reason why he wants to use Venture Shield? I've been told Scotchguard is a better product by my installer.

1991 E30 M3/Brilliantrot
2017 F80 M3/AW
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2012, 09:17 PM   #52
YoungGuns
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Well not in particular, he only said that he would use Ventureshield for full hood and side fenders and the rest in scotchgard because of the size of the sheets. I just got another two quotes and they're $1000 and $1400 CDN respectively. What do you guys think of the price? Is $1600 too steep?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2012, 11:58 PM   #53
firechicken99
Major
Rep

My installer also advised for ventureshield because the 3M sheets would have only covered half the hood....

Sounds good. if you want to consider saving a couple of dollars, its really not necessary to wrap your whole front quarter panels. Is it really likely that a rock will fly up and hit the edge of the panel facing backwards? No, for this reason I had them put a slightly slanted piece which covered the panel about half way back/over teh wheel well. In other words I covered the "front facing" part.

And depending on your area thats about right. I spent approx 1600 USD and didnt wrap the full corner panel or rear bumper strip you mentioned.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2012, 01:45 AM   #54
YoungGuns
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Yes, do the lower rear arches as these WILL get chipped. I have already had the film replaced there.

I did full bonnet, front bumper, half front arches, mirrors, rear lower arches....around ~$1100.
ianf, the rear lower arches - what's the design and size of that piece? My installer and I were discussing the shape of it and we're still tossing ideas around coz I think no matter what you do the seam lines would still show. So if that's the case might as well make it look good lol.

Also, do you guys think covering rocker panels is necessary?
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2012, 01:46 AM   #55
YoungGuns
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by firechicken99 View Post
My installer also advised for ventureshield because the 3M sheets would have only covered half the hood....

Sounds good. if you want to consider saving a couple of dollars, its really not necessary to wrap your whole front quarter panels. Is it really likely that a rock will fly up and hit the edge of the panel facing backwards? No, for this reason I had them put a slightly slanted piece which covered the panel about half way back/over teh wheel well. In other words I covered the "front facing" part.

And depending on your area thats about right. I spent approx 1600 USD and didnt wrap the full corner panel or rear bumper strip you mentioned.
Firechicken! love ur name btw lol. So if covering partial quarter panels... doesn't that mean you'd see a seam line where the film is cut off?
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2012, 01:49 AM   #56
YoungGuns
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikx1M View Post
I drove 500 tension filled miles until all the parts of my Xpel PPF arrived....since then its got 3000 miles and no worries. PPF is clear as glass on my VO 1M and I cant recommend it enough...cleans easy no scratches or tears and we have driven up to 165mph and it didn't peel back or melt

Git er done!
Rikx1m in your experience what's so good about the Xpel? My installer was saying it's the best out there but would cost $500 more and the film is completely smooth, so it's unlike 3m scotchgard and venture shield coz both of these have simulated orange peel texture to them so that the panels covered wouldn't look too different under light. So his recommendation was that I just go with venture shield.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2012, 05:32 AM   #57
YoungGuns
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
In photo it is hard to see the edges, but yellow arrows mark them.
Oh yah I'm going to get that part done coz I think there's a pre cut pattern on Xpel that my installer would be getting. Is that part pretty visible? I'm assuming not unless you're like 5 feet from it and the lighting?

I was thinking about wrapping the part behind the rear tires close to the bottom trim of the tires too. ya?
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2012, 10:29 AM   #58
v1k0d3n
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C /// (and x3 for the wife)

I got the same thing done. It was HARD to find the right angle to make the line show up in this photo, but you can see the line none-the-less (after playing with the flash a bit). Your shop should be able to download the xpel kit (which is the best cut template/fitment IMO). It includes the rear arches.

Appreciate 0
      05-12-2012, 11:26 AM   #59
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many

Garage List
Do these come precut, or is installer cutting them on your car? I'd be sweating bullets if the latter.
1998 Porsche 993 C4S: Zenith Blue, last aircooled widebody, Bilstein PSS10, Fister II + Fabspeed exhaust
2008 Audi B7 RS 4: Sprint Blue, Audi Exclusive Euro Bucket Interior, Premium+Titanium, many mods
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2012, 12:10 PM   #60
ayao
Thread killer
Rep
Drives: 1M

The Xpel templates are cut prior to installing on the vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2012, 12:23 PM   #61
YoungGuns
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M1 View Post
Do these come precut, or is installer cutting them on your car? I'd be sweating bullets if the latter.
Most of the panels that I was referring to would be pre cut, with the exception of the front quarter panels and the part that I'm considering putting in behind the rear wheel. The front quarter panel he said he didn't want to use the template from Xpel as he cant wrap the clear bra around the edges and he'll be doing the cuts along the gaps between panels so that'll be okay, it's the back quarter panel strip behind the wheels that he'll be doing custom with no template - that's the part that i'd be sweating some major ass bullets AND he was saying no guarantee's - but the good thing is he'd only be scoring the material......
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2012, 12:55 PM   #62
firechicken99
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungGuns View Post
..... that's the part that i'd be sweating some major ass bullets AND he was saying no guarantee's - but the good thing is he'd only be scoring the material......
I wish i remember where it was but there is a long and drawn out thread about this.... Long story short an experienced installer (I think hes in NJ but could be wrong) was at a car show where a naysayer said cutting the material on the paint couldnt be done, so the installer laid a strip on the roof a mint black porsche or something and cut out the dudes initials in vinyl, had him remove it, and watched the look on his face when there were no marks on the paint

If your installer knows what hes doing its really not a big deal like everyone makes it out to be.

On another note, my wrap work was COMPLETELY custom cut and hand done, no templates. Couldnt be happier. Im not saying the xpel templates are no good, but theyre not mandatory
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2012, 01:08 PM   #63
///M-Rat
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: VO 1M / AW 335iS / SBM 330 ZHP

Clear bra is invisible on the VO paint and has stopped a lot of rocks recently in a construction zone. Very glad I have it
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2012, 01:40 AM   #64
4thM3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp. Alp. White

Had 3m clear bra done on my AW 1M last week at Premiere in Fremont, CA. REALLY, REALLY HAPPY I GOT IT DONE (only wish I did it the day I got the car). Guys at Premiere were fantastic and they did an outstanding job. I got the basic kit plus had the rocker panels done. They made several small (but highly beneficial) custom upgrades to the basic package at no charge.

They came very highly recommended and now I know why. Everything was perfect. excellent workmanship and done right on time.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2013, 10:56 PM   #65
Jay-K
Brigadier General
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: Slow

its a car, its meant to be driven,
as long as its still fun to drive, thats it.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2013, 11:14 PM   #66
bdaddylo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jk688 View Post
its a car, its meant to be driven,
as long as its still fun to drive, thats it.
Yes, but the paint is prone to chipping, so why not protect it.

1991 E30 M3/Brilliantrot
2017 F80 M3/AW
Appreciate 0