BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-24-2010, 12:47 PM   #1
rsjean
satch
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Towne BMW

Anyone in Buffalo have experience with this dealer? I'm thinking of switching to them for all service and future purchases. I really have a problem with businesses that are open for their convenience and not their customers.

People like me who buy BMW's have to work hard to afford them. This means I am NOT available during the week for parts and service. Since Holtz is the only act in town they dictate when they are available. Even more irritating is that they are open for sales. Hey, we can take your big money on the weekend but after you take possession we aren't interested in providing service and support when you are available on the weekend!

Towne BMW in Buffalo has both parts and service hours on Saturday. That's the same way it was in Atlanta where there is a bit of competition for customers.

"The Dingo ate your Mustang"
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2010, 12:54 PM   #2
EDUC8ED
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: "Blue Majic"

Another dissatisfied Holtz customer.....although I have not had any experience with Towne I hear they are pretty good. You may actually want to try http://ekstenautoworks.com/ they are a very well known BMW servicer in Rochester thats where I go.

p.s. I went to go see Jason in Buffalo and whoa you were right.

Montego/ Coral 135i

"Progress not Perfection"
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2010, 07:36 PM   #3
LJKelley
Private
Rep
Drives: Mercedes SLC 300 & Mini Cooper

I bought my BMW from Towne after I bought my MB from Holtz. I have a friend who owns a Mini and recommended Towne. I haven't had service there yet, so I can't say. But I wan't 100% satisified with Holtz MB.

But you might also consider a loaner car. You should be able to keep it 24 hours after service is complete. So you could in your spare time one day drop of the car and pickup your car the next day. From my experience it takes only 10 min to drop your car off and pickup a loaner. Just call to schedule and request a loaner and describe over the phone what service you require.
      06-21-2010, 10:04 AM   #4
rsjean
satch
United_States
Rep

True. However to me it's a 2 part situation.

1) How would I work things out to be able to keep servicing at Holtz and keep buying from them

2) The principle of why would I expend any amount of energy to support a dealership that clearly does not care eonough to conduct business in a way that is customer friendly.

In the case of #2 I'd rather expend more time and energy to drive to Buffalo and support a dealership that realizes weekends are when most working folks have to handle things like service, parts and support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJKelley View Post

But you might also consider a loaner car. You should be able to keep it 24 hours after service is complete. So you could in your spare time one day drop of the car and pickup your car the next day. From my experience it takes only 10 min to drop your car off and pickup a loaner. Just call to schedule and request a loaner and describe over the phone what service you require.

Appreciate 0
      06-21-2010, 03:02 PM   #5
Pamlico
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M

Prior to the 135, I had 2 MINIs both purchased and serviced at Towne. Aside from the distance involved I never had any problems and things always went fine. I was usually offered a loaner as well. When we picked up the 2nd Mini (on a Saturday) a friend with an older 3 Series brought me over. He mentioned that he had some relatively minor issue with his car that Holtz had never been able to fix so I suggested he mention it while we were at Towne and he did so. Almost immediately after he asked the service guy about this someone came out and started poking around under the hood, etc and in about 10 minutes was able to figure out what was wrong and fix it .... at no charge. Again this was on a Saturday morning with no appointment on a old 3 Series that they didn't sell.

I have no way of knowing if this is accurate but I asked several times at Towne if they had any idea why Holtz didn't have the MINI franchise as they are more centrally located, etc. Around here the word was that Holtz didn't want the MINI, but supposedly Holtz in fact did go after the franchise but their service department was overall rated a good bit lower than Towne's and BMW/MINI initially was placing the MINI only with their best dealers. Having said that, my experience with Holtz's service to date has been fine. I've been able to get an appointment when wanted and things seem to have been fixed correctly. Given my experience with Towne though I wouldn't hesitate to have the 135 serviced there if necessary.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2010, 11:33 AM   #6
rsjean
satch
United_States
Rep

I'm going to take the 135 to Towne next weekend for the cracked passenger rear view mirror. The one that Holtz was quick to tell me would be $375 plus labor over the phone before ever considering it could be a warranty repair candidate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamlico View Post
Prior to the 135, I had 2 MINIs both purchased and serviced at Towne. Aside from the distance involved I never had any problems and things always went fine. I was usually offered a loaner as well. When we picked up the 2nd Mini (on a Saturday) a friend with an older 3 Series brought me over. He mentioned that he had some relatively minor issue with his car that Holtz had never been able to fix so I suggested he mention it while we were at Towne and he did so. Almost immediately after he asked the service guy about this someone came out and started poking around under the hood, etc and in about 10 minutes was able to figure out what was wrong and fix it .... at no charge. Again this was on a Saturday morning with no appointment on a old 3 Series that they didn't sell.

I have no way of knowing if this is accurate but I asked several times at Towne if they had any idea why Holtz didn't have the MINI franchise as they are more centrally located, etc. Around here the word was that Holtz didn't want the MINI, but supposedly Holtz in fact did go after the franchise but their service department was overall rated a good bit lower than Towne's and BMW/MINI initially was placing the MINI only with their best dealers. Having said that, my experience with Holtz's service to date has been fine. I've been able to get an appointment when wanted and things seem to have been fixed correctly. Given my experience with Towne though I wouldn't hesitate to have the 135 serviced there if necessary.

Appreciate 0
      08-15-2010, 10:36 PM   #7
auto-rocks
Rep
Drives: 2010 Civic

I live in Rochester and have bought several new cars. Just recently I walked into the BMW dealership and had a question about financing a 135 and she flat out said that N does not do the BMW select program and when I called Towne they said they would be happy to work with me on a Select loan.

Very weird and un-professional

Buying time till 1M, hence the 10' civic!
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2010, 10:10 AM   #8
Pamlico
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

What's "N"?

Towne may be willing to work on the Select program, but they may be less flexible on price. When I purchased our 135 in June '08 I was surprised to find the Rochester dealer willing to negotiate on the price and I was able to get the car for about $500 over 'invoice', even though at that time it was still pretty new to the US market. Towne was totally unwilling to discuss price.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2010, 10:35 AM   #9
rsjean
satch
United_States
Rep

I guess between the 2 of them we can put together a really good dealership.

Good prices, Mini as a choice, good service and Saturday hours.

I miss competitive markets - Atlanta has 4 BMW dealerships (includes the 2 United locations).

I called Holtz to tell the service dept my passenger side rear view mirror had a crack in it after I had the car about 3 weeks. Before I could even start my next sentence the service manager said "$375 plus labor wanna schedule an appointment?”

Appreciate 0
      08-16-2010, 11:32 AM   #10
Pamlico
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I've had a couple of instances of significant misfiring accompanied by the Service Engine Soon light illuminating (and eventually going off). I've already had the HPFP replaced once and was concerned that the replacement was failing. I brought the car into JH BWM after each episode and each time was told that the computer only showed a code indicating that the engine did in fact misfire which is not specific enough to allow them to do anything. I was told it could be a number of things, the HPFP, plugs, injectors, etc. and sent on my way and come back if it happens again and maybe the code will be more useful. Apparently no additional effort to see what may be the cause.

I ran a large bottle of Techron through the fuel system and so far the misfiring hasn't reoccurred, which suggests that I may have gotten a bad tank of gas which clogged the injectors, which is something that the service guys might have suggested, but maybe I'm expecting too much. If this does happen again I'll likely take it to Towne to get their take on things.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2010, 12:35 PM   #11
auto-rocks
Rep
Drives: 2010 Civic

Pamlico the N was a goof for New York State
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2010, 01:47 PM   #12
Pamlico
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Ah, thanks .... I should have realized that.

When we purchased our first MINI, back in 2002 I believe, I was looking at the Select option that was offered for that car, but I seem to recall reading that these Select-style financing options were, in fact, not available in NY state. I never really pursued this so I don't know if that was the actual case, then or now. I do recall that when we got the 135 in June, 2008 I casually asked about BMW Select and was told that they (Holtz BMW) had never had anyone finance a car in that manner, but nothing was said about it not being available in NY.
Appreciate 0