BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-03-2011, 01:56 PM   #1
wolfe
Captain
Rep
Drives: e82 / e70 / r56 / r60

Does the 1M strut bar fit on a non-M?

I've seen an underhood photo where it looks like the strut bar ends have full rings around the strut towers. I'm guessing it won't because the regular 1 series has that raised support bar mounting point, but just in case anyone knows for sure, might it fit on a non-m?
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 02:11 PM   #2
fourtailpipes
Major
Rep
Drives: the ladies crazy

is it not the M3 brace?
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 02:53 PM   #3
JHOOPS2
AKA HISSMAN
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 SG 135i Coupe'

Yes it will fit plenty have done it.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 03:00 PM   #4
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Harold has done it. He sells the M3 one for our 1er's.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 03:18 PM   #5
wolfe
Captain
Rep

Excellent, thanks guys. If it's the M3 part does that mean some cutting is needed for the firewall trim?

thanks for the help!
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 03:31 PM   #6
JHOOPS2
AKA HISSMAN
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 SG 135i Coupe'

There may be a tiny bit of cutting. Nothing major. Really though, the difference between it and the standard brace is very minor. That's my opinion on it anyway.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 04:24 PM   #7
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Supposedly... the M3 brace should help in preventing the strut tower caps/inner fenders from mushrooming over time.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 04:52 PM   #8
fourtailpipes
Major
Rep

yep. as close as it is to the existing firewall, you won't gain much (if anything) performance-wise, but you will get better access to strut tops if you're using adjustable dampers or camber plates
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 11:31 PM   #9
timhatimay
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ///M3

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
2009 135i  [0.00]
I just got Harold's kit for my 135i, and I will say the difference from the stock unit is quite substantial (in terms of quality and design of the brace). I did it primarily for the additional resistance to mushrooming as mentioned above. The stock pieces are just the two bars that you see with a slit that slides into a bolt on the firewall. The M3 unit has a pretty sturdy brace that bolts to the firewall and then to the two braces going out. Also, the stock unit attaches with just the one bolt (that happens to be in the way of everything). The M3 is a complete ring that is bolted directly to the studs on the strut tower. Every aspect of it looks far more substantial than the stock unit. If you have camber plates or adjustable shocks thats just another reason to get it.

Anyways, I was against a strut tower brace all along, and didn't think I would notice any difference. On the street you would probably never feel any difference. Only place would be uneven roads, then you can tell that the car flexes a bit less. In auto-x I feel the same sensation, that the car is a bit more stiff laterally. Its hard to tell if its a placebo, but it also feels like it firmed up the front of the car. Turning in and high speed turns feel improved and more confident. As the car is on the edge it also feels more predictable and stable.

Overall the difference is very subtle, and I wouldn't expect an earth shattering improvement. However, in additional to all of the logistical and practical improvements of the brace, it does seem to have a positive improvement on performance as well. The kit from HPA is complete and very nice also, and I would recommend their kit if you are going to get it! I didn't have to cut anything to install on my car (n54) but I did break the lower air filter mount trying to reinstall, as the fit is a little bit tight after.

Tim
      08-09-2011, 01:40 PM   #10
fourtailpipes
Major
Rep

i'd be surprised if it were anything other than the M3 part. realoem doesn't list part numbers for the strut brace on the 1m yet, though, so i cant be sure.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2011, 05:23 PM   #11
wolfe
Captain
Rep

I'd really be doing this mostly for the reinforcement against mushrooming.

If there is cutting involved, are we talking plastic trim or sheetmetal?
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2011, 06:36 PM   #12
timhatimay
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ///M3

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
2009 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfe View Post
I'd really be doing this mostly for the reinforcement against mushrooming.

If there is cutting involved, are we talking plastic trim or sheetmetal?
This is the same reason that I installed the brace. I understand there is the possibility of trimming on the N55, but not necessary on the N54. I can say on mine (N54) I didn't have to trim anything. Although on the lower cabin filter bracket (the big plastic cowl) I broke one of the tabs, because the fit does get a bit more tight with the new brace. Doesn't seem to have any negative effect or stop it from being fastened securely.

As I mentioned I did it for the mushrooming aspect, but I've been pleased with the bar. The one I bought (from HPA) I believe is a modified M3 bar. Supposedly the bracket on the firewall needs to be modified. I would think the 1M would be a perfect fit, without this requirement, so maybe it is a different part number. Either way its a good piece. Seems much more robust than stock, looks better, protects better from mushrooming, allows camber and shock adjustment, etc. It may not be a drastic suspension change, but its got a lot of great advantages!

Tim
      10-02-2012, 03:35 AM   #13
LtDo
Registered
Belgium
Rep
Drives: Hard modified E81

Does anyone know the part numbers for the 1M strut brace ?

I presume that some parts are the same as the M3 E92/E93, like the strut tower brace ring for exemple (part 1 on the picture below) but i'm sure that strut braces are different (the color is different: metal for M3 and black for 1M) and the mount for strut brace is different (the angle of the connection behind the firewall is different like the modified one used until now ). For M3:

Normally, I find the part numbers on realoem.com or bmwfans.info but both database doesn't include the 1M (both stops in 2009-2010) so I cannot find these.

Here are the pictures to compare the 1M (first two) with the M3 (E92/E93):

Obviously, they are different but does anybody knows these part numbers ?

Last edited by LtDo; 10-02-2012 at 04:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2012, 03:36 PM   #14
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfe View Post
I've seen an underhood photo where it looks like the strut bar ends have full rings around the strut towers. I'm guessing it won't because the regular 1 series has that raised support bar mounting point, but just in case anyone knows for sure, might it fit on a non-m?
The 1M and M3 only shares a portion of the strut tower brace, basically just the tower rings are the same, the rest are very different.

Again, BMW has shorted the 1M guys out of a real M brace. Although the brace look very M3 like(what you can see) for the most part, the connecting pieces to the firewall is very typical of non-M.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2013, 11:42 PM   #15
PeteA
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: E30, E82

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autowerks View Post
The 1M and M3 only shares a portion of the strut tower brace, basically just the tower rings are the same, the rest are very different.

Again, BMW has shorted the 1M guys out of a real M brace. Although the brace look very M3 like(what you can see) for the most part, the connecting pieces to the firewall is very typical of non-M.
I was looking at picking this kit up:
http://www.hpashop.com/BMW-128i-135i...tbrace-e82.htm

But had a few questions before it hit the purchase button.. You're saying the M3 kit is superior to the 1M brace? I would have a guess it to be easier to just buy the 1M kit and retrofit it to a non-M car?

Anyone managed to find a parts list of the 1M kit? The one list above is the M3 kit pretty sure.
      05-19-2013, 12:05 AM   #16
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteA View Post
I was looking at picking this kit up:
http://www.hpashop.com/BMW-128i-135i...tbrace-e82.htm

But had a few questions before it hit the purchase button.. You're saying the M3 kit is superior to the 1M brace? I would have a guess it to be easier to just buy the 1M kit and retrofit it to a non-M car?

Anyone managed to find a parts list of the 1M kit? The one list above is the M3 kit pretty sure.
BMW does not list all the necessary part#'s for the 1M brace so some hardware will have to sourced on your own.

In addition, the 1M brace does not mount the same way at the firewall end as the M3 brace - Look at a few posts above, in the part illustration #3 isn't used, but rather a non-M style mounting, which is slightly less ideal.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2013, 05:47 PM   #17
PeteA
Major
Australia
Rep

Ah ok I understand what you mean. So if I were to pick up your kit, or, the items listed above in the diagram + source my own 1M strut mount it would basically be the same thing?

If only I could find the part number for that mount...
      05-20-2013, 01:57 PM   #18
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteA View Post
Ah ok I understand what you mean. So if I were to pick up your kit, or, the items listed above in the diagram + source my own 1M strut mount it would basically be the same thing?

If only I could find the part number for that mount...
Our kit contains a modified M3 firewall brace. 1M brace is not the same between the strut tower ring and the firewall.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 04:25 PM   #19
TS135i
piggy in the mirror
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2013 6MT 135i

Wouldn't replacing the front sway bar with a M3 bar effectively accomplish the same result?
      05-20-2013, 06:11 PM   #20
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08 AW 6MT E82

Quote:
Originally Posted by TS135i View Post
Wouldn't replacing the front sway bar with a M3 bar effectively accomplish the same result?
An anti-roll/sway bar and a strut tower brace are very different suspension components. I'm not an expert by any means of the word but this is my understanding of them.

An anti-roll/sway bar works to reduce body roll from underneath the car by transferring compressive forces from the outside/unloaded side of the suspension to the inside/unloaded side of the suspension when cornering thus resulting in less body roll.

A strut tower brace works to firm up the chassis by limiting compression and distraction forces between the top of the struts. This will work more to prevent torsional forces on the chassis which can affect suspension geometry and have an adverse effect on handling rather than limiting body roll. Soft suspension and/or thin sway bars will still allow body roll. It may help to reduce some feel of body roll by reducing some movement in the chassis but this is not exactly the desired effect and would not be noticeable during hard cornering.

My experience with the strut brace is that it made the handling of the car more predictable and a little more sharp.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2013, 01:56 AM   #21
PeteA
Major
Australia
Rep

Just ordered this kit. Will post back here once I have it installed