BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-19-2012, 08:47 PM   #45
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by P7X View Post
dont disagree, but tap turns off DTC and hold turns off everything. DSC will probably still hold you back. Thats begs the questions what the difference is really... don't care cuz = 24/7!
When you push the "DTC" button once, the traction control goes into
"Dynamic Traction Control" mode. It does not turn traction control off, it becomes "Dynamic", indicated by the lit up letters. DTC allows some tire slip, and thus a bit quicker 0 to 60 or 1/4 mile run.
Also, this mode allows the driver to get out of being stuck in snow, as it allows the tires to slip while not cutting engine power, so you can get out of being stuck.

Many BMW drivers don't know this feature. I had to help a 7 series driver get up a modest hill when it frosted/light iced in the winter. Traffic stopped due to a car going off into a ditch and the 7 driver ended up sitting at the beginning of the hills incline. As he tried to get going the tires easily slipped and the ECU cut the power, so he couldn't get the tires spinning enough to get him up the modest hill.
His buddy got out to push, but it didn't help cause as soon as the tires slipped, no power.
I was a few cars behind. I got out of my car and went up to him and told him to push the button one time. His buddy and I then went to push.
He applied throttle, tires began spinning, we pushed lightly to help it get going and all was well. The driver then asked me about the "button".
He had no idea what it was for.

So, in standard default mode, TC-traction control and DSC are on.
One push puts the car in "Dynamic" mode, which allows some tire slippage that can help in certain conditions, and allows a bit more fun.
The DSC remains on at this point to help out if the driver gets in over his ability.

From standard mode, push and hold the button for at least 3-5 seconds and both TC-traction control and DSC will turn off. This is indicated by a symbol that lights up on the gauge panel between your tach and speedo. You are now in full manual RWD mode. You can burn the tread off your tires and the ECU won't care. You can drift as much as you want given your ability. Careful if you're not experienced driving RWD as you can also spin the rear around completely, which is not advised.

Those of you not experienced with driving high power RWD, or even RWD in general, should first take your car to an empty parking lot and get a feel for what happens when the TC and DSC systems are not involved. Do this also when the parking lot is wet as that will quickly advise you of what those systems are doing, and how your car handles when they are not in play.

ABS is always on and can not be disabled.
I would like to be able to shut it off as it doesn't work so well on snowy roads. But, manufacturers won't do that as most people wouldn't know how to or why to shut it off, and the remember to turn it back on.
Plus of course there a legal reasons.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2012, 09:33 PM   #46
Gdubz
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Tanzanite M440i (Soon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
You can drift as much as you want given your ability. Careful if you're not experienced driving RWD as you can also spin the rear around completely, which is not advised.
First time I turned DTC/DSC completely off, was turning left out of a parking lot and accidentally did a 270 and ended up driving as if I took a right... Scared the shit outta me. Fortunately for me there was no one on that road at the time.

This is my first RWD card, been driving AWD for 5 years prior to this 1er.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2012, 10:13 PM   #47
roo97ss
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4, X6M, Tesla Plaid, MYP, Ram

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdubz View Post
First time I turned DTC/DSC completely off, was turning left out of a parking lot and accidentally did a 270 and ended up driving as if I took a right... Scared the shit outta me. Fortunately for me there was no one on that road at the time.

This is my first RWD card, been driving AWD for 5 years prior to this 1er.
ya gotta be careful if you're not well schooled in high torque rwd. Getting back on topic, me and my "little red bitch" spend a ton of time in this setting, only not using it when i forget or when it's raining or snowing and then i'm running DTC mode.

get to a hpde, autocross or an empty lot to learn the abilities. As a kid on dirt bikes, quads, snowmobiles it was a great way to learn basic vehicle dynamics. dirt racing is often opposite lock sideways.
      04-19-2012, 11:42 PM   #48
MITE82
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i 6AT BSM

Named my baby Mia . She's a hot European have nothing to do with the chick from F&F
BMS JB4 PnP / RPI scoops / BSH OCC / BMS DCI / H&R Super Sport Springs / Nitto INVO 225f 255r / CP-e axle back / BMWPerf. CF rear spoiler, iCarbon CF sideview mirror covers / CF grills / BMWPerf. Front rotors / EBC slotted rear rotors / SS Braided lines / StopTech performace pads / E93 M3 Front Sway / BERK resonated mids / BMS 12mm spacers
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 05:14 AM   #49
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Quote:
I would like to be able to shut it off as it doesn't work so well on snowy roads. But, manufacturers won't do that as most people wouldn't know how to or why to shut it off, and the remember to turn it back on.
I agree regarding ABS in the snow. I also always found it funny that (for me at least) the car actually deals with deep snow better with a light foot and TIMYOYO mode engaged.

Even with DTC on the car cuts power too soon...I found myself in the awkward situation of very slowly going down a hill backward with the power constantly cutting. DTC off and rev the car up to 3K and hold it there (I know fairly high, but its the only way I was getting up the hill)

In short...hills suck in the snow. The only time ive bitten it and lost control was going down a hill trying to make a trun into a driveway...slid the car into a snow bank and got it pretty stuck for about 20 minutes. Took two random guys walking by plus the two I had in the car with me to get it out.

Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 06:20 PM   #50
TheSt|G
Resident Tamed Racing Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 911, 130is, E39 M5, E36 M3

Ugly or saggy depending on the day. Certainly not BMWs best styling effort.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 06:29 PM   #51
P7X
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i 6MT

Quote:
When you push the "DTC" button once, the traction control goes into
"Dynamic Traction Control" mode. It does not turn traction control off, it becomes "Dynamic", indicated by the lit up letters. DTC allows some tire slip, and thus a bit quicker 0 to 60 or 1/4 mile run.
Also, this mode allows the driver to get out of being stuck in snow, as it allows the tires to slip while not cutting engine power, so you can get out of being stuck.

Many BMW drivers don't know this feature. I had to help a 7 series driver get up a modest hill when it frosted/light iced in the winter. Traffic stopped due to a car going off into a ditch and the 7 driver ended up sitting at the beginning of the hills incline. As he tried to get going the tires easily slipped and the ECU cut the power, so he couldn't get the tires spinning enough to get him up the modest hill.
His buddy got out to push, but it didn't help cause as soon as the tires slipped, no power.
I was a few cars behind. I got out of my car and went up to him and told him to push the button one time. His buddy and I then went to push.
He applied throttle, tires began spinning, we pushed lightly to help it get going and all was well. The driver then asked me about the "button".
He had no idea what it was for.

So, in standard default mode, TC-traction control and DSC are on.
One push puts the car in "Dynamic" mode, which allows some tire slippage that can help in certain conditions, and allows a bit more fun.
The DSC remains on at this point to help out if the driver gets in over his ability.

From standard mode, push and hold the button for at least 3-5 seconds and both TC-traction control and DSC will turn off. This is indicated by a symbol that lights up on the gauge panel between your tach and speedo. You are now in full manual RWD mode. You can burn the tread off your tires and the ECU won't care. You can drift as much as you want given your ability. Careful if you're not experienced driving RWD as you can also spin the rear around completely, which is not advised.

Those of you not experienced with driving high power RWD, or even RWD in general, should first take your car to an empty parking lot and get a feel for what happens when the TC and DSC systems are not involved. Do this also when the parking lot is wet as that will quickly advise you of what those systems are doing, and how your car handles when they are not in play.

Cheers dude! good to know for my 1st winter in the 1er.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2012, 12:22 PM   #52
MZWIE
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-Bob View Post
Now this is some ghey-ass shit.
I second that...
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2012, 12:37 PM   #53
Section147
Good To Be Alive!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lotsa Stuff

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
So's your face
I second that.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2012, 02:43 PM   #54
Ammonia
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 440i GC

I named mine Gina.

Used to drive a Civic named Natalie. Before that was a Scion tC named Naomi
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2012, 05:21 PM   #55
gmartan
GB
Canary Islands
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i convertible

Wally Wallow?
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2012, 05:11 PM   #56
DrGadget
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: M140i F20 LCI-2

Garage List
2018 BMW M140i  [0.00]
'Beau' as in the dandy Beau Brummel ....
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2012, 05:16 PM   #57
KellyK
Lady Driven
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 2011 128i

benjamin
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2012, 05:28 PM   #58
Carolinagirl
Southern Belle
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BSM 428i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
So's your face
Hahahaha!!! Love it, BrokenVert!!!!!
      06-24-2012, 05:40 PM   #59
bmw1racer
bimmerphile, technogeek
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E82 6MT Sport

Garage List
I leaning towards "Ingrid."

It's more Swedish than German, but at least it's European.
      06-24-2012, 06:14 PM   #60
burger16b
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i

Delilah
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2012, 06:18 PM   #61
CoralRed
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i, e36/7, e91 times 2

My 135i has no name... But my 1 series M coupe is name Oranje ( Dutch for orange)

Chris
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2012, 06:33 AM   #62
m7ammed
Captain
Saudi Arabia
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Superman because of the color combo, blue and red
      06-26-2012, 09:20 AM   #63
Ash83
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i & RS5 (SOLD)/ 18 CTS-V

lol my wife calls it Sandy because i have weakness to girls with that name.

Performance: JB4|BMW PE|DP Cosmetics: BMW Sport Pedals|Black Kidney Grill
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 11:18 AM   #64
andybui82
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

My e90s name was Nastia cause she looked so nasty. and now this one is named Lakeesha cause shes black.
      11-01-2012, 12:06 PM   #65
Section147
Good To Be Alive!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lotsa Stuff

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cokbui View Post
and now this one is named Lakeesha cause shes black.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2012, 12:39 PM   #66
MuNkY6913
The Crowing
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Garage List
2009 135i  [8.00]
i haven't officially named it. but the license plate says CROWING. from the character in the band Coheed and Cambria's story. one day it will be powerful enough to destroy the universe. haha. Name:  IMG_0167.JPG
Views: 374
Size:  164.7 KB

2009 135i : BMS JB4 G5 ISO,CXRacing FMIC Kit,Injen Cold Air Intake,Evolution Raceworks Charge Pipe,Walboro Inline Fuel Pump, E85 BMS Backend Flash w/ 60% E85,BMS Meth injection (trunkmount),BMS dual meth nozzles,Spec stage 2+ clutch w/ steel SWFW,BMS Catless Downpipes,Berk Tech Race Axleback
Appreciate 0