BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-27-2011, 08:08 PM   #89
siegester
Captain
Rep
Drives: '20 M340i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
After a week of driving I agree with most people, and here is my compiled list
  • Can't see the automatic windshield wiper light behind steering wheel.
  • Some options that should be standard aren't.
  • Cruise control stalk on wrong side of steering wheel
  • No way to read the oil yourself
  • Whenever something is "slightly wrong" (traction control off, low gas warning, etc) it completely obscures the screen with the temperature, time, and your cruise control speed.
  • DCT almost always engages under anything over 75% throttle
  • Comfort access is not very responsive and I have to basically dry hump the car for it to work.
  • Sat radio goes out under bridges.
  • Useless re-circ button on the steering wheel
  • Volume control and channel controls on opposite sides of the steering wheel (I don't like always having both hands on the wheel, so it makes it pointless to me at times to use them)
  • 2nd cup holder that can't be used unless you lift the arm rest up.
  • Useless storage inside/under the arm rest
  • 1st cup holder blocks the shifter
  • Radio interface (way too small).
  • No trip time on the OBC ?!?
  • No second trip meter
  • Tiny glove box.
  • Tiny gas tank
  • No spare tire!!!
  • Can't get air to blow directly on you
  • Constantly adjusting automatic A/C based on outside temp (not very automatic if you ask me)
  • Door lock button placement (should be with window controls)
  • Power access for rear seat is slow
  • Almost useless door handle position. It should be 10" further back on the door
  • No indication when the cruise is on
  • No beep when locking/unlocking car (going to buy BMW alarm for this)
  • Small volume knob

All that said, I still love the car. I just wish more time was spent on the interior. However, I bought the car knowing BMW interiors were not always up to my standards.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2011, 10:49 PM   #90
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjof2003 View Post
[*]Sat radio goes out under bridges.
Gasp! Sat radio goes out when there is rock or metal between you and the satellite? No Way!

Appreciate 0
      07-28-2011, 05:41 AM   #91
N55_BBM
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
Gasp! Sat radio goes out when there is rock or metal between you and the satellite? No Way!

it will work in my garage 2 floors underground though.... go figure
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2011, 09:12 AM   #92
germ
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom K. View Post
Agreed, but I still have to walk back to the car to check. Of course, a beeping horn would simply add to our ambient noise pollution without fixing my problem which seems to be CRS.
+1
Absolutely hate those loud beeps.

As for annoyances:

- Can't change radio channel immediately after starting car (2008)
- nav screen pops up every time you start the car
- god-awful navigation interface (iDrive)
- takes forever to "calculate fast route"
- any warning obscures clock/ temperature
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2011, 10:02 AM   #93
TX78666
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e46 330i ZHP, N55 135i

I'm confused by the "no way to check the oil" comments. Do you mean no dipstick, because you can definitely check it via the computer, by yourself.
      07-28-2011, 10:10 AM   #94
TX78666
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjof2003 View Post
I just wish more time was spent on the interior. However, I bought the car knowing BMW interiors were not always up to my standards.
Spend some time inside an e90 3 series. By comparison, someone spent a ton of time on the 1 series interior.
      07-28-2011, 11:27 AM   #95
siegester
Captain
Rep
Drives: '20 M340i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:

Yup. Oddly enough neither of the 3 other cars I've driven with XM/Sirius ever go out in these spots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX78666 View Post
I'm confused by the "no way to check the oil" comments. Do you mean no dipstick, because you can definitely check it via the computer, by yourself.
Yes. It's just odd to me to not have a dipstick. Just a "nitpik", but that's what the thread is for!
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2011, 09:40 AM   #96
TX78666
Lieutenant
Rep

I just wasn't clear if people didn't know you could check it from the computer, or just didn't like not having the dipstick. It doesn't bother me, but if someone told me the only way to check my tires was via the tire pressure monitor system, that would bug me, so I get it.

Thanks for the clarification.

My biggest nitpick is the one 12v outlet in my 2011 (I guess the older ones have more). Plugging the radar detector in there is a minor pain, but I could deal with it. The problem for me, is that there is a mute button on the plug, and I use it all the time. Or I did, before it became almost inaccessible, under the armrest.

Also, in my e46, the seats remember where they were set for each key, so you don't even have to hit your memory button. With the 135, I have to hit the button. I'd be stoked to find out this was something that just needs to be enabled in the service menu, or something.

On the plus side, the stability control seems to be a lot less invasive than it is in the e46.

I'm just about convinced that I like this car better than the e46. My wife had the 135 yesterday, because I needed to take the truck. When I got home, she said "I'm glad you still love the e46, because I am keeping the 135." She's an unapologetic street racer, and loves to toy with people in the straights and then leave them behind in the twisties.
      07-30-2011, 05:23 AM   #97
GeeRam
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40d SE

Quote:
I have one more. Surprise surprise

Why are there no pockets for maps and papers on the back of the seats? Id love that instead of the ugly hard plastic thing.

And I need a place to store my maps!

You do know you can buy elasticated nets for the seat backs from the BMW accessories list…?

Most of my nit-picks have been covered by other posts it would seem, but my main gripes are:-
  • Steering wheel rim obscures most of the speedo arc, I can only see when I’m going below 20mph and above 100mph!!!
  • Door handle pulls too far forward.
  • 12v sockets, either the two in centre console and the one in the boot (trunk) won’t provide power unless the engine is running!!
  • With Nav you only get one cupholder & that can’t be used unless you lift the armrest up.
  • Left foot rest is too low.
  • Stupid seat height adjustment that goes up and forward at an angle instead of simply going up and down.
  • Having to reset the electric lumber adjustment everytime you get in the car!
  • Too small fuel tank
      07-30-2011, 06:03 AM   #98
GaryS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i 6MT

Garage List
2009 135i  [6.50]
Quote:
I cant see my radio with polarized sunglasses
The fix for that is posted three or four times in the DIY section. Looking for a fix was how I found 1addicts forums two years ago.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2011, 06:38 AM   #99
GaryS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i 6MT

Garage List
2009 135i  [6.50]
Okay my gripes.

1. e-diff has to be the worst idea of all time
2. oops, not offering a factory LSD option in a 300hp sports coupe and then fucking welding it shut is the worst idea of all time
3. I hated the stock brake pads more than I've ever hated anything
4. low fuel and snowflake gongs are ridiculous
5. drivers seat won't get low enough (I know about moving it all the way back - it still isn't low enough)
6. no fog lights
7. that black gook always leaking on the side skirts
8. window side air vent that won't point at me
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2011, 08:21 AM   #100
TX78666
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryS View Post
Okay my gripes.

7. that black gook always leaking on the side skirts
Just noticed that. Any idea WTF it is, or what can be done?
      07-30-2011, 09:28 AM   #101
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Quote:
Just noticed that. Any idea WTF it is, or what can be done?
you know those leave traps in the engine compartment? That's where they drain out, clean your engine bay. It's the best advice I can give

Appreciate 0
      07-30-2011, 09:54 AM   #102
TX78666
Lieutenant
Rep

I'll check that out. Thanks.
      07-30-2011, 12:48 PM   #103
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Quote:
, but if someone told me the only way to check my tires was via the tire pressure monitor system, that would bug me, so I get it.
That's one of my biggest gripes. While the BMW hardware and software has been in place since 2007, the system hasn't been programmed to provide a psi readout for each tire - unlike some other cheaper cars. It would then be a simple matter to check the system for accuracy with a good tire gauge and then throw the gauge away.

Quote:
Also, in my e46, the seats remember where they were set for each key, so you don't even have to hit your memory button. With the 135, I have to hit the button. I'd be stoked to find out this was something that just needs to be enabled in the service menu, or something.
See "Personal Profile" in the manual. I find it confusing, but I think you can program what you want for each key.

Tom
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2011, 04:03 PM   #104
TX78666
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

See "Personal Profile" in the manual. I find it confusing, but I think you can program what you want for each key.

Tom
Thanks. I'll look right now.

Just hard-wired the radar detector, to eliminate one nit (although now I only get the mute button and alarm display on the unit, so we'll see if this creates a new nit.
      07-30-2011, 04:30 PM   #105
TX78666
Lieutenant
Rep

Sweet. No idea why that would have been disabled. All set now. I'll have to go look for something else to grumble about.

07-30-2011, 08:16 PM   #106
miiipilot
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2 Brooklyn Grey 6mt

Quote:
you know those leave traps in the engine compartment? That's where they drain out, clean your engine bay. It's the best advice I can give
Mine has had that black junk since week one of ownership. Can't see that being just from leaves then.

I was hoping it would just go away after time...but after 13 months of ownership...not yet.

Definitely a big nit pick.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2011, 08:57 PM   #107
Jayda
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i

Quote:
That's one of my biggest gripes. While the BMW hardware and software has been in place since 2007, the system hasn't been programmed to provide a psi readout for each tire - unlike some other cheaper cars. It would then be a simple matter to check the system for accuracy with a good tire gauge and then throw the gauge away.

Tom
A service advisor told me the tire pressure monitoring system works by detecting the rolling speed of the tires. Slower rolling speed indicates low pressure. So a psi readout would require a totally different system. Maybe you guys know this but that was news to me. I'd prefer the actual pressure readout as well.
      07-31-2011, 07:20 AM   #108
dtwyim
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW no more

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeRam View Post
  • Steering wheel rim obscures most of the speedo arc, I can only see when I’m going below 20mph and above 100mph!!!
How do you sit and position the wheel? I have absolutely no problem seeing the whole dash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayda View Post
A service advisor told me the tire pressure monitoring system works by detecting the rolling speed of the tires. Slower rolling speed indicates low pressure. So a psi readout would require a totally different system. Maybe you guys know this but that was news to me. I'd prefer the actual pressure readout as well.
I know Canadian cars are like this. I thought US cars actually measures the pressure with sensors in each wheel

Quote:
8. window side air vent that won't point at me
I just shut them off and use the middle one. You'll get more air flow towards you that way.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2011, 08:19 AM   #109
GerryL
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i with PPK- Space Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayda View Post
Wouldn't a softer tire have a higher rolling speed because it has a smaller effective radius to the pavement and has to turn faster to keep up with the others?
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2011, 08:54 AM   #110
MZWIE
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

One of the dumbest posts ever. People have become so needy that it's pathetic.

We used to buy cars for the performance and we lived the idyosincracies. No car is perfect.

None of the items listed (with the possible exception of LSD) have anything to do with performance.

If you don't like the car then sell it. Enough already.
Appreciate 0