BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-15-2010, 02:32 AM   #1
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
Building Coilovers - Which OEM Parts Needed?

Howdy. Doing a coilover install in a few weeks, and I was wondering if I could get some help form someone who has gone before me.

I haven't totally unpacked my coils yet, but my understanding is that there are several OEM parts that get reused when you change out springs and dampers. Things like spring pads, top hats, hardware, etc. I would like to order these parts new so that I can become more familiar with the strut assembly before I start taking apart the car, and also to sort of streamline everything on the big day.

Now I realize I could unpack my coils and take a look at RealOEM and just figure out what's missing, but I was wondering if that was inclusive enough or accurate enough. Anyone have a list of parts needed or part numbers or anything like that?

Also, am I correct in my understanding that bump stops are not reused when switching to coilovers, unlike traditional struts and shocks?

As always, thanks.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2010, 02:34 AM   #2
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-Bob View Post
Howdy. Doing a coilover install in a few weeks, and I was wondering if I could get some help form someone who has gone before me.

I haven't totally unpacked my coils yet, but my understanding is that there are several OEM parts that get reused when you change out springs and dampers. Things like spring pads, top hats, hardware, etc. I would like to order these parts new so that I can become more familiar with the strut assembly before I start taking apart the car, and also to sort of streamline everything on the big day.

Now I realize I could unpack my coils and take a look at RealOEM and just figure out what's missing, but I was wondering if that was inclusive enough or accurate enough. Anyone have a list of parts needed or part numbers or anything like that?

Also, am I correct in my understanding that bump stops are not reused when switching to coilovers, unlike traditional struts and shocks?

As always, thanks.
My question for you is, which coilover system did you purchase?

Many coilover systems we sell do not use any oem parts. You simply remove the oem strut as a complete unit and store it.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2010, 03:12 AM   #3
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
I picked up a set of Bilstein PSS9s. The included diagrams indicate OEM parts to be reused, but they look like they were drawn by a monkey, so it's tough to figure out. I know for sure I need bumpstops for the rear shocks (will probably order the BMW Performance pieces rather than shave the OEM ones) and I'm pretty sure I need the strut top hats up front.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2010, 12:15 PM   #4
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-Bob View Post
I picked up a set of Bilstein PSS9s. The included diagrams indicate OEM parts to be reused, but they look like they were drawn by a monkey, so it's tough to figure out. I know for sure I need bumpstops for the rear shocks (will probably order the BMW Performance pieces rather than shave the OEM ones) and I'm pretty sure I need the strut top hats up front.
Don't know anything about the Bilstein systems.
Appreciate 0