BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-08-2012, 06:14 PM   #23
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianf View Post
The difference is huge! Even with my 135i which had the PS & LSD, it isn't even close. I was surprised as thought the 1M vs 135i would have been closer. The cornering ability and the M-Diff are on another level.

I did have reservations initially, as part of me thought that I was just buying the same E82 car again for $35k more... now, no regrets what-so-ever

Same comparison to an E46 330 vs E46 M3 I would say.
Quote:
To be honest, I haven't driven the 1M so I'm not in a position to properly compare the 2.

That being said, I would have to agree with your comments regarding the M-diff. BMW have nailed the M-diff, it's set up perfectly and would be the hardest thing to emulate in a 135i. I think the key difference is in MDM mode it allows enough slip where the driver can still keep the car in control.

The main area I draw similarities between the 2 cars is in the engine, which we all know are identical. Once you start modifying it, it's a matter of preference which dyno curve we all prefer but horsepower always wins.

With a few mods you can still get a 135i to handle like a very very good car, which is already beyond most people's driving capabilities. There are a few members on this board that come unstuck in both models on the track, not taking anything away from their driving abilities but simply pointing out these people have a lot of track experience but these cars can be that brutal but also so rewarding when driven properly.

My current 135i suspension setup is already more than I can handle and I have no shame in admitting that, it's just a baddass car to drive on any race track. The 1M is even better yet still.

Harold from HPA released an article comparing a fully modified N55 135i to a modified 1M and chose the 135i, although it was a close call. This to me shows how great the 1M is from factory though but also makes most people with well modified 135i's think twice about upgrading. At some point it comes down to value and if owners of 135i's for 2-3+ years considered selling their cars and buying another car for 100-120k, there are other worthy cars that can be thrown in the mix as well, like the C63 and GTR, which was the point I was getting at earlier in the thread.

Last edited by BMW86; 03-08-2012 at 06:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2012, 06:25 PM   #24
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Couldn't help thinking that the HPA article was a sales pitch to promote 135i mods. I was concerned when I read the article, as assumed I had just wasted a huge amount of $ in upgrading!

As you said the M-Diff is a big key factor here and the M-Dynamic mode allows perfect amount of traction control intervention IMO. The steering is also exceptional.
That could be very true but considering almost all the parts besides the M-diff can be retrofitted quite easily, I don't think it's a stretch to believe they are comparable. Every tuner is going to have a vested interest in an article like this but I don't think there are many people more qualified that Harold giving their 5 cents. It's a much more refreshing perspective than people saying "it's sooo much better, it just is" etc as he can really break down the differences in components.

I still think the stand out features are the M-diff and the wider track body, which on its own merits take the 1M to a whole new level and justify the extra dollars.

There are other factors which make the 1M much more appealing which have all been discussed before, but you can make yourself a pretty decent street/track car which is somewhat comparable to the 1M if you're willing to fork out on some suspension mods.

As Harold was pointing out, when you sit in the drivers seat, it's a lot harder to tell the difference.

The 135i is a clear winner at its price point, particularly the price of the 2nd hand ones at the moment, but the 1M still has a few worth contenders to deal with.

Last edited by BMW86; 03-08-2012 at 06:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2012, 06:30 PM   #25
alik01
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Slowly & Responsibly

On a side note, if anyone is actually interested in taking up this allocation. I know Mina - she's from Darwin. PM and I can pass on her mobile and a 'take of him'
      03-08-2012, 06:39 PM   #26
alik01
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Slowly & Responsibly

As for 135i vs 1M difference. It actually is quite substantial - having driven 135i, modified 135i and 1M. Albeit not as modified as yours BMW86 - is there any more modified than yours???

Worth the extra? For me - definitely, for someone else - don't know.

BMW86 - That said, if you want to try your hand in a 1M to know what all the fuss is about, come to Darwin and mine is all yours! Otherwise, Sparoz might oblige! It's worth a go...
      03-08-2012, 06:53 PM   #27
BBK
Banned
Rep
Drives: A boring one...

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [5.76]
I've driven a 1M, compared to mine on a daily basis, it's probably the steering which I found most appealing. If I had coilovers, I'm not sure there would be much in favour of the 1M except for the looks. Except for the steering... it is quite a lot better.

I think the financial loss of going to a 1M from a modified 135i would make the trade not worth it. Unless you track your car, or drift around the streets on your way to work, there's not a lot in it.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2012, 06:56 PM   #28
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alik01 View Post
As for 135i vs 1M difference. It actually is quite substantial - having driven 135i, modified 135i and 1M. Albeit not as modified as yours BMW86 - is there any more modified than yours???

Worth the extra? For me - definitely, for someone else - don't know.

BMW86 - That said, if you want to try your hand in a 1M to know what all the fuss is about, come to Darwin and mine is all yours! Otherwise, Sparoz might oblige! It's worth a go...
I appreciate the offer mate but I a ride-along in the passenger seat will more than suffice. Everyone works hard to pay good money for these little rockets and I'm not one to jump in the drivers seat and smoke up the tyres. It's never an easy pill for me to swallow seeing another person beat on your car, which is ultimately the best way to see the differences at the limit.

I have no reservation the 1M is the better car, but I hope to have something comparable, if not better when it's all said and done, in all areas. A lot of people have been building "home-made 1M's" on this forum before the 1M even came to life. I'm sure at least one person from the ///M division would have jumped on this forum (or forums of the like) and seen experienced workshops like Harold from HPA retrofitting M3 parts to the 1M and perhaps been given an idea or 2. I like to think the early day 1er guys did some of the R&D for the ///M division!

I've got a few more things up my sleeve but I look forward to the day I can give the credit card a break. I do have big plans for the car in the future but all in good time.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2012, 07:01 PM   #29
BBK
Banned
Rep
Drives: A boring one...

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [5.76]
ian, is that including the loss you made on selling the 135i? Surely that makes your 1M a $150kish car?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2012, 07:04 PM   #30
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
All I can offer is my feedback, that the 1M is a very different car to a modded 135i, and for me the extra $ is worth it...I'd even go so far as to say it is a bit of a bargain for the level of performance/$ ratio, as is the 135i
It's all a matter of opinion but a lot of us share somewhat similar taste in cars which is how we ended up with these 1ers.

That being said, I can't think off to many performance cars that give the 135i a run for it's money at 50-80k right now. It's a true bang for buck car. There isn't a big list of cars that needed to be test driven.

At 110-120k when you're handing over that cheque, you really need to consider the likes of a GTR, C63, M3's, TTRS's etc. Even if you walk away with the 1M, you could easily walk away with a smile on your face with any of the aforementioned.

I personally think the GTR and C63 are on a whole new level, and I'd find it hard to look past the TTRS too. I would probably pass on the M3 though.

My point is most of us having owned these cars for 3+ years now are almost inclined to try something different if we're spending that kind of money again, and there is plenty of healthy competition. Regardless, the 1M holds its own very well and is competitively priced.

However, I think we can all acknowledge that the 135i clearly beats most of it's rivals at its price point, it was a no brainer for most of 3+ years ago and it's still a no-brainer today.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2012, 07:27 PM   #31
RaihaX
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08' 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW86 View Post
It's all a matter of opinion but a lot of us share somewhat similar taste in cars which is how we ended up with these 1ers.

That being said, I can't think off to many performance cars that give the 135i a run for it's money at 50-80k right now. It's a true bang for buck car. There isn't a big list of cars that needed to be test driven.

At 110-120k when you're handing over that cheque, you really need to consider the likes of a GTR, C63, M3's, TTRS's etc. Even if you walk away with the 1M, you could easily walk away with a smile on your face with any of the aforementioned.

I personally think the GTR and C63 are on a whole new level, and I'd find it hard to look past the TTRS too. I would probably pass on the M3 though.

My point is most of us having owned these cars for 3+ years now are almost inclined to try something different if we're spending that kind of money again, and there is plenty of healthy competition. Regardless, the 1M holds its own very well and is competitively priced.

However, I think we can all acknowledge that the 135i clearly beats most of it's rivals at its price point, it was a no brainer for most of 3+ years ago and it's still a no-brainer today.
+1 exactly how I feel!
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2012, 08:06 PM   #32
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
You sound like my girlfriend ... always lose on cars I paid $70k, sold for $59k, so that's $11k in 1 year + prob lost $5k on mods
Did you pay 70k outright or making repayments on a 70k car?

It seems like you did a lot better than most people would have though.

A lot of us guys have experienced this car for 3+ years now and are ready to move onto something different but in your case it makes a lot more sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaihaX View Post
+1 exactly how I feel!
It's hard not to look past some of those cars Ray. Or even picking up a used 135i and adding a few suspension goodies and a turbo kit, a turbo kit and you're good to go!

Unless something else comes out that can compete with the GTR, it will definitely be my next car. I still think it's unbelievable how a stock GTR for 120k competes with other fully built track cars at QR and Lakeside. It's just badass.

Too many respected motoring journalists have put the GTR in its own league, and rightfully so. It will definitely stand the test of time.

Quote:
All good points, the 135i is fantastic bang-for-buck. All I can say is test drive a 1M though!

Depends what you want in a car & a matter of personal taste. TTRS is a boring drive from the reviews I have seen, the C63 is great, but I like 2 doors and coupe only just released, GTR is masterful, but I like German cars, specifically BMW with their motorsport DNA.
Unfortunately I think it would be hard to get a test drive in a 1M but I've driven a C63 and was very impressed. Handling, not so much but my 1M is setup really well. Getting back into the 1 felt like I was driving a go-kart. The C83 V8 grunt is a thing of beauty, if I owned it, I would be throwing a full exhaust on it and letting that thing rip open. I'm sure my neighbours would resent me for it but it would sound phenomenal! I feel the same way about the 135i/1M, these beasts need to opened up, you will have a new found appreciation for it, trust me!

Anyways, when I test drove the C63 I had more salespeople checking out my car and I ended up handing one of them the keys and let him give my car a few revs. It was a good feeling. I've had similar things happen at other dealerships. I think they assume it's got the full works under the hood when you start doing a few cosmetic mods, or it could just be the performance stripes lol.

I think my priority for a replacement will be more horsepower performance and a better platform to begin with. The 135i and 1M are in theory almost identical having the same engine. I wouldn't be going any faster in a 1M except around a corner, and I'm not prepared to push it past 8/10ths to the limit in a car that I drive to work every day.

The C63 and GTR are two cars that offer a whole lot more potential in performance without the need to double the cars factory horspeower specification. I see pure badass 700hp supercharged M3's beating Alpha 6 GTR's, but when you start looking at Alpha 9 and up you really see what that car is capable of. Do I need that much power, probably not. But I do want it, yes I do
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2012, 08:31 PM   #33
RaihaX
Major General
Australia
Rep

And then you see Alpha 12 GTR and it is just ridiculous

The GTR is a car that I have to own in the future!
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2012, 08:37 PM   #34
Gazooba
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnydad
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineM3E92 View Post
And your point is?
No point really just that the 1M was a no-brainer for me a little while back - but enquiries led nowhere much. No test drives, no cars to look at. Just pay some money and hope for the best. I sort of lost interest, wandered elsewhere, and the lust has faded. Now this - anyone know how many they are getting? Last I heard (two weeks ago) production was finished and everything was accounted for.
Advice was April being last of Oz production commencement and that extra offerings such as this are as a result of hold-back's by BMW Oz to be used as internal incentives.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2012, 08:41 PM   #35
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
And then you see Alpha 12 GTR and it is just ridiculous

The GTR is a car that I have to own in the future!
I have heard theories that Alpha 12 GTR's induce warp speed faster than the speed of light thus allowing the driver to travel through time. It's quite epic

I see a lot of GTR's online, some with low km's but a part of me still think it may be wiser to invest in a new one if I'm in a position to do so.

GTR's can spend a lot of their time on the track so 5,000km's on the ODO can be 5,000 hard track km's!

I hear the engine is bullet proof though but still...
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2012, 08:43 PM   #36
RaihaX
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
I have heard theories that Alpha 12 GTR's induce warp speed faster than the speed of light thus allowing the driver to travel through time. It's quite epic

I see a lot of GTR's online, some with low km's but a part of me still think it may be wiser to invest in a new one if I'm in a position to do so.

GTR's can spend a lot of their time on the track so 5,000km's on the ODO can be 5,000 hard track km's!

I hear the engine is bullet proof though but still...

That is true - would be worried about how much track KM it has done.

Maybe Johnny (Honny) might sell his GTR to me in the future I still need to see his car!
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2012, 08:55 PM   #37
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:

That is true - would be worried about how much track KM it has done.

Maybe Johnny (Honny) might sell his GTR to me in the future I still need to see his car!
Yes I asked him to start a new thread with pics of his new car a while ago, would love to see it.

Btw, you should get some RB's and give him a few runs Ray, you know you want to
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2012, 08:59 PM   #38
RaihaX
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Yes I asked him to start a new thread with pics of his new car a while ago, would love to see it.

Btw, you should get some RB's and give him a few runs Ray, you know you want to
I am waiting to see what kinda of numbers Dzenno will be pushing out with his RB and COBB. Now that he has N20 TMAP sensor he is no longer limited to 22 (i think) PSI on the stock TMAP sensor.

I think they are planning to go about 27-28 psi mid range tapering to low 20s on the RBs.

If they pull good numbers I would be tempted

but that would mean LSD + upgraded transmission lol....
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2012, 09:15 PM   #39
1q2w3e4r
Breakfast at Tiffany's
Rep
Drives: BMW

How are they going to push enough fuel or timing into it to run that? It's 2 bar of boost on pump fuel.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2012, 09:28 PM   #40
RaihaX
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1q2w3e4r View Post
How are they going to push enough fuel or timing into it to run that? It's 2 bar of boost on pump fuel.
From my understanding they have yet to reach a hardware limit on the fuel pump.

I think I read a while back there was a software limitation on the DME in regards to fuel but that has been resolved by COBB.

I am not the best person to regurgitate this info though so take this with a grain of salt! best to do your own reading on the other forum.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2012, 12:41 AM   #41
pavo335
Banned
Rep
Drives: 3.5 wheeler

According to the big single turbo boys there is no fuel limitation :-)
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2012, 12:50 AM   #42
woosh
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavo335 View Post
According to the big single turbo boys there is no fuel limitation :-)
Yup! I wonder if someone will make an aftermarket manifold for the RB Turbos... would definitely free up some more power.
Appreciate 0