BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-26-2012, 05:25 AM   #23
///Chase
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 16' m4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvandenhaute View Post
I think you absolutely need to test drive one to make up your mind. I had a R32 with DSG and test drove a 135i and a 128i with steptronic and hated them. It is a good automatic gearbox but it kills a good part of the fun. I don't want to relaunch the eternal debate manual vs auto but if an auto was mandatory I would go for the DCT, especially if you have been spoiled with a DSG before. I recently had a 335i with a step as a loaner, loved the engine but the car was numbed because of the step, could not wait to have my 128i manual back (or my old R32 for that matter).
Interesting. I Am trying to go and test drive one tomorrow, but dealers only have brand new ones. and i dont really want to go waste some dudes time that i found on the internet selling one!

Damn this is hard.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2012, 09:40 AM   #24
cvandenhaute
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 BMW 128i, '19 Genesis G70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaseyo View Post
Interesting. I Am trying to go and test drive one tomorrow, but dealers only have brand new ones. and i dont really want to go waste some dudes time that i found on the internet selling one!

Damn this is hard.
I bet it is, I remember the hard time finding a 128i to test drive with a manual.
Maybe your best bet is to test drive a 335i auto so that you have an impression on the gearbox itself since I believe it still carry the same steptronic as the '08 '09 135i
      03-27-2012, 08:31 PM   #25
///Chase
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
I bet it is, I remember the hard time finding a 128i to test drive with a manual.
Maybe your best bet is to test drive a 335i auto so that you have an impression on the gearbox itself since I believe it still carry the same steptronic as the '08 '09 135i
i drove a 2012 DCT 135 yesterday for 2 hours from a dealer, holy moley! that thing was so much fun. I loved the steering was so heavy compared to my GTi, Also the DCT was good, i don't think it was as good as the DSG in my Golf but pretty damn fun.

Im hoping that didn't spoil me wen i go and try the Steptronic.

is it the same configuration with the step? up gear on right down on left?

the guy told me other than the gearbox and twin scroll turbo nothing has changed and he advised me if i want to get 2nd hand to just make sure its been serviced and BMW thats it.

HE also let me take out a new m5, that was a whole other beast hahaha,

best dealership ever? Nicest car salesman ever? what a guy he was!

Ps
135 drives amazing, did i mention that?
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2012, 08:00 AM   #26
cvandenhaute
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 BMW 128i, '19 Genesis G70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaseyo View Post
i drove a 2012 DCT 135 yesterday for 2 hours from a dealer, holy moley! that thing was so much fun. I loved the steering was so heavy compared to my GTi, Also the DCT was good, i don't think it was as good as the DSG in my Golf but pretty damn fun.

Im hoping that didn't spoil me wen i go and try the Steptronic.

is it the same configuration with the step? up gear on right down on left?

the guy told me other than the gearbox and twin scroll turbo nothing has changed and he advised me if i want to get 2nd hand to just make sure its been serviced and BMW thats it.

HE also let me take out a new m5, that was a whole other beast hahaha,

best dealership ever? Nicest car salesman ever? what a guy he was!

Ps
135 drives amazing, did i mention that?

I might be wrong but I recall that the logic of the paddle shifter was different on the Steptronic, I think both side had the same function and you had one button for upshifts and one button for downshift at each side, not very logical, somebody correct me if I am wrong.
      03-28-2012, 09:22 AM   #27
RaihaX
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08' 135i

Quote:

I might be wrong but I recall that the logic of the paddle shifter was different on the Steptronic, I think both side had the same function and you had one button for upshifts and one button for downshift at each side, not very logical, somebody correct me if I am wrong.
that is correct but you can easily re-wire it if you wish
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2012, 04:50 PM   #28
///Chase
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Is it Annoying man? How hard would it be to rewire?
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2012, 07:09 PM   #29
RaihaX
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08' 135i

You get used to it after a while - it didn't seem too hard but I never bothered with it TBH.

I use a combination of my gear knob and the paddle anyway and got used to it.
Appreciate 0