BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-05-2009, 10:16 AM   #1
looking
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135

Salt stain removal?

love the way BWM rubber mats fit but, they aren't deep enough to keep the water in. I've got salt stains now and was wondering what the best think I can use to remove the stains?

Thanks guys
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2009, 07:33 AM   #2
nautilus
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘21 G30 540i

On the carpet in the footwell? I've had the same problem and after pulling the mat, I get the area pretty wet with luke warm water to get the salt back into solution and then soak the fluid back up with a towel. Seems to work okay for now. I also keep a towel handy so I can dry up any excess water when I park.

I'm no detailer mind you and I'm sure one of the guys in this section will have a better answer... I will say that doing nothing is much worse than not doing something as the accumulated salt will be a real bitch to remove later on in the season
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2009, 08:46 AM   #3
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

Use a Bissel or equivalent steam/carpet cleaner with a nozzle attachment. It will be the best way to get the salt out.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2009, 04:10 PM   #4
looking
Captain
Rep

Thanks guys for the suggestion.

Yes it is in the footwell, by the gas pedal. I also have stains on the passenger side towards the door.

I don't have a Bissel or equivalent....anything thing else that would help?
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2009, 02:24 PM   #5
looking
Captain
Rep

anyone with further suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2009, 08:28 PM   #6
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

The best thing is a steam cleaner with an upholstry attachment. I believe the rentals at Safeway can be so equipped. You need something that can spray the warm water/cleaner and remove it right away You dont want the water to be soaking into the carpet for very long.

Second choice would be to use a wet/dry vacuum. Don't use anything sudsy, you will never get it all out - you need just a mild all puprose houshold detergent or upholstry cleaner - but not the spray on shampoo.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2009, 09:42 AM   #7
bman6074
Major
Rep
Drives: 14 M235i and 07 Lotus Exige S

I had these same stains, well still do faintly. I used the Bissell Little Green Portable Deep Cleaner with heater. It did clean the stain mostly but after it dried you can still see a slight whitsih color. Wondering if i just need another application or should i use some heavier detergent.
TIP: once the stain it cleaned completly i plan on putting carpet protection platic down so i don't have to clean it anymore. Just peel the plastic off at the end of the winter

Excel,
What did you do to clean your stains? What were you results?
thanks
      01-13-2009, 10:38 PM   #8
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

I would do it again, try Zep brand professional carpet cleaner - at Home Depot. Rinse several times with the bissel using clear water. The stain came back after drying means more rinsing next time. Stay away from any kind of foam cleaner as the soap will stay in the carpet forever attracting dirt.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2009, 09:11 AM   #9
looking
Captain
Rep

Thanks guys for the suggestion. I guess it's time to look for a steam cleaner of some sort. The thing is, I lease and don't want to be putting extra money in for something that I'll return in a few yrs. That being said, I don't want ugly salt stains in a car that I'm using - I always treat the car as if I own it out right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bman6074 View Post
Excel,
What did you do to clean your stains? What were you results?
thanks
I haven't touched the stains yet, I know it's bad but, it's just too cold outside - 30C,in the open, -10-15C in my garage. I don't think my hands can take being in water at that temp. I will have to do something soon though, I'm sure the longer it's on the tougher it is to get out....

I'll keep you guys posted. If there' any other suggestion please keep them coming.

Product recommendation would be nice too....
Appreciate 0