BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-29-2013, 07:45 PM   #1
evilstib
Bimmer Newbie
Canada
Rep
Drives: CSM N54 Prem/Comf/Sound

Do I need a new tire? Crowd sourcing needed!

Tires have less than 1,000 miles on them. BMW won't patch. Said I can take it elsewhere, but they'll install a brand new tire for me.

Michelin pilot super sports installed at the end of April.

Would a patch or gunk in a can resolve this issue? Looks like a finishing nail up close - small nail head.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-29-2013, 08:44 PM   #2
bdaddylo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3

Garage List
Most tire shops won't patch it due to the location of the nail. The tire flexes a lot near the sidewall. Are you sure it punctured the tire? Just order a new one from Tirerack or ask the dealer if they will price match.

1991 E30 M3/Brilliantrot
2017 F80 M3/AW
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2013, 09:15 PM   #3
Ender_
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M VO, V60 Polestar '24

with less then 1500km i'd just order 1 new one - I might try patching if i was 10k km in and no used at the track.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2013, 09:37 PM   #4
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Is this a bubble? Its hard to tell from the angle/crap in the background.

Appreciate 0
      06-29-2013, 10:53 PM   #5
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep
Drives: Cars Usually

Ya, I saw that too and makes me think that tire's a goner as that sidewall is bubbled/blown, nail hole aside.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2013, 11:23 PM   #6
evilstib
Bimmer Newbie
Canada
Rep

I'll take a look tomorrow, but I didn't notice when crawling under the car looking at it.

I do think just getting a new tire is best. Shitty part is that I'm scared a non-BMW dealer will scratch the rim. I live 300 miles from a BMW dealer. Only toyota, ford, Chevy and dodge in my city.

Grrr!
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2013, 11:13 AM   #7
evilstib
Bimmer Newbie
Canada
Rep

Checked today and yes, the tire is bulging.

This is a manufacturer defect, isn't it?
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2013, 11:35 AM   #8
NorthernDancer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 Sedona 128 & 06 330xiT 6MT

No not manufacturing defect. As previously said, order new one from The Tire Rack. Go to your various dealers in town and talk to them specifically about mounting a tire w/o scratching the rim. Service advisors may not too reliable so see if you can watch the people doing the actual mounting. New Chevies, Ford etc have some nice wheels too so their tire guys have to be pretty good. If you ever see a Cdn esp from BC/Alta selling used tires consider picking up 1 or 2 b/c you live in Fort Mac. Maybe plug the damaged tire to use only as a very emergency spare.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2013, 11:51 AM   #9
evilstib
Bimmer Newbie
Canada
Rep

I'm confused a bit - it's normal that a tire bulges with less than 1000 miles, or do we think the nail made the bulge?

I'll try the Other dealerships, but you're right, I need to monitor a guy doing it as 'caring' means a lot.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2013, 02:36 PM   #10
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilstib View Post
I'm confused a bit - it's normal that a tire bulges with less than 1000 miles, or do we think the nail made the bulge?

I'll try the Other dealerships, but you're right, I need to monitor a guy doing it as 'caring' means a lot.
typically a tire with a bulge has sustained an " impact break" or " impact knot" This bulge occurs from the tire being subjected to a force strong enough to break a belt in the tire, causing the bulge.

Imagine if you were to squeeze a balloon.. it will bulge. A tire, being made of rubber and steel belts can bulge, but will not retake the original shape like a balloon because of the stiffer rubber and belts. I would guess that the impact knot present IS related to the nail, since they are in close proximity.

However it is also ENTIRELY possible that they ocurred separately, so I wouldnt necessarily relate them to each other just because of proximity and looking at a photo online. In any case, either the nail has caused damage to the sidewall, or possibly the tire struck an object that the nail was in.. and damage ocurred to the tire as well as picking up the nail, oir perhaps the tire struck something recently, and the tire was damaged previously.. OR.. if the nail was hit recently and the tire lost air... then the tire was driven with low air.. then the sidewall damage ocurred later.

Do you need a new tire? Yes.. that bulge can eventually fail.

Good luck with it.. but I think you will have an uphill battle and I seriously doubt this will be covered by a tire manufacturer or dealer unless it is done as a goodwill gesture to keep your business.

-----------------------------------

Not sure what the concern is regarding having a tire done. Any number of businesses (NTB, Tire Rack... Discount Tire etc) can mount or dismount a 19" tire. heck... Inner city shops in tha hood are mounting 22s, 24s, and 26s. If the tire company you visit doesnt show confidence they can change it without issues then move on to the next.. Who installed the tires that are on it now 1000 miles ago? have them do it? you can always source a tire and bring it in..

Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 07-01-2013 at 03:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2013, 05:52 PM   #11
Pete_vB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '69 GT3, GT4, 1M, 912

Tire is done. I wouldn't patch a nail in that location, and wouldn't trust anyone who would. The bulge just seals the deal- I suspect it's probably the result of hitting a pothole. Check that the rim isn't bent in that location.

The good news is you'll only need one new tire, as the other one is nearly new so you won't need to replace the pair.