BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-18-2017, 02:18 PM   #23
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

MN winters are worse than most but I can also tell you that driving summer performance tires (Hankooks or Michelins I have had both) in below freezing weather, regardless of how clear the roads are, can be downright scary. I finally stopped gambling and got snow tires on cheap wheels. I'd save it for emergency only, certainly not something I'm any longer willing to do just for a change of pace away from the winter beater (Saturn Vue). The rubber compounds used simply are not meant for it and have stupidly poor traction.
Appreciate 2
      08-18-2017, 03:06 PM   #24
PA135i
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i 08 CR-V

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer bullet View Post
MN winters are worse than most but I can also tell you that driving summer performance tires (Hankooks or Michelins I have had both) in below freezing weather, regardless of how clear the roads are, can be downright scary. I finally stopped gambling and got snow tires on cheap wheels. I'd save it for emergency only, certainly not something I'm any longer willing to do just for a change of pace away from the winter beater (Saturn Vue). The rubber compounds used simply are not meant for it and have stupidly poor traction.
I agree. Where I live the winters are not as brutal as MN or Canada but we have 2 months with very cold temps.

My choices are to buy a set of Michelin AS3's or leave the summers on the car and start it up once a week for 2 months.. wait the tires would flat spot.

If I keep the summer rubber on the car, maybe it would be OK to drive it on clear dry roads locally when the temps are above freezing. That might work for me.
Sparkling Graphite Metallic / 6MT / Terracotta Boston Leather / Sport Package / Comfort Access system / Gray Poplar wood trim / Heated front seats / iPod and USB adapter / HD radio / Premium hi-fi system / OE Tuning / VRSF Intercooler & charge pipe / BMW Performance short shift kit / BMW M Performance Handbrake Handle / BMW Stainless steel pedals / V1 hardwired / rear sun shades Pennsylvania 20 electoral votes

Last edited by PA135i; 08-19-2017 at 06:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2017, 08:53 AM   #25
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA135i View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer bullet View Post
I agree. Where I live the winters are not as brutal as MN or Canada but we have 2 months with very cold temps.

My choices are to buy a set of Michelin AS3's or leave the summers on the car and start it up once a week for 2 months.. wait the tires would flat spot.

If I keep the summer rubber on the car, maybe it would be OK to drive it on clear dry roads locally when the temps are above freezing. That might work for me.
If you storing it, it is a bad idea to just start it once a week. Unless you are getting it up to full operating temp, you are just building up water in the oil and exhaust. It will also deplete the battery as the alternator will only charge while decelerating, until the battery gets below 80% capacity. Just inflate the tires to 50 PSI, put on a battery maintainer and let it sit.

If it is dry out, and a fair bit over freezing, no problem taking it out and getting it up to temp.
Appreciate 1
PA135i967.50
      08-19-2017, 10:26 AM   #26
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

I'm going through a similar internal debate on which tires to get. I've spent a lot of time perusing the available options (215/40-245/35 & 225/40-255/35) on TireRack.

I'm narrowing potential solutions down to required needs. I won't autocross, HPDE, the car so optimum/maximum dry performance is not critical. If I knew that I'd not see low temps and extreme wet, I'd opt for a set of Michelin Pilot Super Sports (there are good deals on those tires now - they're being phased out). I've always had good luck with Michelins, not so much with other brands.

But I'm principally concerned with wet performance and the high odds of getting caught in 30 to 40 Fahrenheit weather on extended spring and fall road trips. So I'm leaning to an UHP all-season, specifically the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+.

Just my less than 2 cents . . .
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2017, 12:59 PM   #27
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Quote:
I'm sure it depends on the tire (the choice of rubber and for some tires how worn they are since the durometer can change) as well as the exact temp. I'd just say use caution, don't get confident and decide to have just a little fun around a corner without being confident in the grip level you have at the time.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2017, 09:58 PM   #28
tock172
Beachtown Bill Collector
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

Garage List
2012 BMW 135i  [0.00]
1999 Lexus LS400  [0.00]
1985 BMW 325e  [0.00]
Quote:
Maybe this is the answer.
The Continental DWS are the answer to OPs dilemma. I imagine I might be one of the only people to have driven in snow on a set of Conti DWS here. Although other manufactures may've caught up by now, these are among the best all season tires you can buy. They handle snow incredible well for being an all season, and do well in the dry and wet as well. The price is excellent too. My advice is to run the pressures a bit higher than normal during fair weather use to compensate for sidewalls that aren't as strong as the Michelin PSS, for example.

2012 BMW 135i Space Grey Metallic M-Sport DCT Dinan S2
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2017, 10:16 PM   #29
malicem3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3

I'm about to buy some Continental DWS so I can drive around Denver on dry fall/winter days. I've had them on my 335 and they did great for the first 20,000 miles. Not that great of performance but it's to be expected.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2017, 07:27 AM   #30
PA135i
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

I'll be getting the Michelin A/S 3+ installed this Friday. They are running a $70 rebate through 9/17/17. I'll report back how they handle after I ride on them a few weeks.
Sparkling Graphite Metallic / 6MT / Terracotta Boston Leather / Sport Package / Comfort Access system / Gray Poplar wood trim / Heated front seats / iPod and USB adapter / HD radio / Premium hi-fi system / OE Tuning / VRSF Intercooler & charge pipe / BMW Performance short shift kit / BMW M Performance Handbrake Handle / BMW Stainless steel pedals / V1 hardwired / rear sun shades Pennsylvania 20 electoral votes
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2017, 04:07 PM   #31
PA135i
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Went onto Michelin's website at lunch today to read about the tires I will be having installed and started a chat with a Michelin agent...

I told him I am planning to buy the Michelin Pilot A/S 3+ and said I lived near Philadelphia. We have a handful of days in single digits every Winter but mostly 20's throughout Jan. & Feb. Also, told him I have another car for snow travel.

I asked if cold temps are an issue for this tire as this is the sole reason I am buying it. The guy tells me I should be careful under 40 degrees? WHAT?!?

They have a short video showing a BMW on a winter road partially snow covered. False advertising.? If these are no better than my summers in the cold... I'm asking myself what am I buying them for?... confused but still getting the A/S 3+ this week.
Appreciate 0