BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-28-2013, 04:33 PM   #1
Keanu111
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 AW M4C, 2014 AW X6M

Adding Dp's void warranty?

Hey guys, just wondering if adding Dp's will void warranty? Or your guys experience with them and with warranty. I asked einser because has the ar Dp's as well. Just wanted to see what the rest of you guys have to say.

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2013, 04:41 PM   #2
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

The DPs bolt to the turbos.

If you have a turbo issue BMW can theoretically blame the install of your DPs for the turbo problems.

Appreciate 0
      03-01-2013, 01:12 AM   #3
1'M Blue
Major
Oman
Rep
Drives: 1M

anything out of the manufactures item will void warranty .. its a matter of you and the dealer ...
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2013, 10:37 AM   #4
Em/1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M VO

Garage List
2019 VW GTI SE  [0.00]
2020 Tesla M3P  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1'M Blue View Post
anything out of the manufactures item will void warranty .. its a matter of you and the dealer ...
Nah. I forget the name of the law, but in the states there is no automatic voiding. It is (theoretically) on the manufacturer to establish that any change was the CAUSE of a failure. They of course hold the cards until you hire a lawyer...
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2013, 10:49 AM   #5
ilikebmxbikes
Banned
Rep
Drives: S65 1M Clone & E92 M3 4.6L

Garage List
Yes, we have some protection and adding DPs won't violate your entire warranty, however, our cars are known to have turbo related issues which a dealer could attribute to DP's and deny the warranty claim, leaving you with the bill. Even if you did hire a lawyer, how much money and time would that cost?

It is best just to have the DP's removed before any warranty work.

Some people leave them on for regular services and have claimed no issues but there have been a small group who have claimed their cars were flagged for engine mods. It really varies per dealer. I personally would just remove them before going in.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2013, 10:53 AM   #6
b1aze
Just one more taste...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i 6MT MSport

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuso...s_Warranty_Act

It can cost you plenty of $$ up front to fight it, but its possible to have BMW prove that the DPs caused a failure.

And you cant have a warranty VOIDED. Warranty claims can be denied however due to aftermarket parts. A lot of the time, dealers and techs will look the other way for simple mods. I had my local dealer tech tell me as long as i didnt inject anything into the car (meth or nitrous oxide) he would be ok with most mods (fmic, DPs, intake, tune). It helps that he is a fellow tuning enthusiast but this is going off what he SAID. If the chips were down, i am not sure what would actually happen with my FMIC, chargepipe and intake if i, say, needed turbo replacement.
      03-01-2013, 12:29 PM   #7
bmw13
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M - GIAC:S2

Could NOT be stated any better and clearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikebmxbikes View Post
Yes, we have some protection and adding DPs won't violate your entire warranty, however, our cars are known to have turbo related issues which a dealer could attribute to DP's and deny the warranty claim, leaving you with the bill. Even if you did hire a lawyer, how much money and time would that cost?

It is best just to have the DP's removed before any warranty work.

Some people leave them on for regular services and have claimed no issues but there have been a small group who have claimed their cars were flagged for engine mods. It really varies per dealer. I personally would just remove them before going in.
+1
2011 E82 1M #215 of 740
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=877009
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2013, 06:47 PM   #8
Keanu111
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 AW M4C, 2014 AW X6M

hmmm.. thanks for all the info guys, yea I can see this issue being 50/50. I guess I just better hope that nothing goes wrong with the turbos!
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2013, 11:01 PM   #9
Eyeman
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 135 blk, blk, step

Garage List
My 135 was written up as modded due to downpipes (btw they also wrote me up as suspension modded). They enter it into their national database then if something comes up in the future they can deny warranty coverage of needed repairs.

In my case it did create a small issue. After my car had been written up, my HPFP went out and they initially denied the work under my warranty due to my mods. I mildly complained and they agreed to do some tests to see if the downpipe caused the HPFP issue, etc. In the end they specifically wrote up that my modded car was not eligilbe for regular engine warranty work but my 100k mile HPFP extended warranty was still valid and they replaced my HPFP.

I bought my 135 to mod and didn't really care, I just wanted knew the HPFP was not the fault of my mods. Later I had some injectors replaced under recall, etc. MY car recently passed 4 years old so I'm out of the warranty period without any other issues.
Injen, RR OCC, MadDad Whisper, donut spare, 19x8.5et43fr 19x9.5et45r Volk LE37's, rear fenders rolled/pulled, PSS4S 225/35fr 255/30r, KW V1's, AR coated catless dps, Cross strutbar, CF grills and license plate holder, iCarbon diffuser, ETS black anodized FMIC, M3 control arms, Quaife, ER chargepipe, ForgeDV's, Topspeed Custom Tune, V3sims, Braille, Andrey_GTA rear hub mod, Ebay Mstyle front bumper and performance style side skirts.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 12:01 PM   #10
DPL8
617DRFT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135

Garage List
2008 BMW 135  [0.00]
2009 BMW 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by b1aze View Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuso...s_Warranty_Act

It can cost you plenty of $$ up front to fight it, but its possible to have BMW prove that the DPs caused a failure.

And you cant have a warranty VOIDED. Warranty claims can be denied however due to aftermarket parts. A lot of the time, dealers and techs will look the other way for simple mods. I had my local dealer tech tell me as long as i didnt inject anything into the car (meth or nitrous oxide) he would be ok with most mods (fmic, DPs, intake, tune). It helps that he is a fellow tuning enthusiast but this is going off what he SAID. If the chips were down, i am not sure what would actually happen with my FMIC, chargepipe and intake if i, say, needed turbo replacement.

What dealership do you go to ?
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2013, 12:45 PM   #11
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Regardless whether adding non OEM downpipes legally voids the warranty or not, you risk to be told that the warranty is void. It might give them a stick to beat you with: "It was your choice to start tinkering with the engine layout, Sir".

So if it ever starts to rain (engine issue), you might think being entitled to using the warranty umbrella, but do not be surprised if that umbrella fails to open and you'll end up soaken wet.

Feel free to battle with the dealership or BMW if you don't mind spending cash and time on lawyers and technicians in order to prove your point that the DP mod is by no means related to the engine issue you're encountering. Technicians concluding that the possibility cannot be ruled out for the full 100% = you're toast.