11-05-2016, 11:31 AM   #23
WallyF
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW i4 eDrive40

Garage List
Location of the felt padding tape

nwautoxer

My dash noise is more like something rubbing on glass. It is heat related as most owners have concluded. I have tried putting insulation between the passenger A pillar and the dash. This seem to solve the noise for awhile but it eventually came back. I would like to try the felt tape approach that worked for nwautoxer.

Can I gain access to the vent and frame by removing the cover below the glove box?

Thanks

Wallyf
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2016, 04:25 AM   #24
THEMASH
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5

I am having the same problem. noise coming from right side of dash when i go over a small bump. I am able to replicate the noise by simply pressing on the right side of the dash with my finger. Will try to remove glove box and air vent and see what can be done to reduce the sounds... thanks for the info
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2016, 04:35 PM   #25
nwautoxer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1 Series M

Answering Wallyf

I can't answer your question because I was not present when the tech worked on my 1M. Sorry.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2016, 09:07 PM   #26
Tommm
Driven Crazy
United_States
Rep
Drives: his wife nuts 128i 6m

We had a new Aurora and it would pop like you are describing. the A pillar molding had a male tab that went into the female of the dash. it wasn't long enough, so when the temperature changed, and the frame flexed you heard it snapping out of the hole.

The official GM remedy was to wrap a little felt tape around the male. The crappy dealer remedy was to snap the male off. Both remedies got rid of the noise.

The dealer was useless in diagnosing the problem. I got in the passenger seat, had my wife drive and when I pulled the A pillar molding off the noise stopped. That's how I diagnosed the problem. Use the post above to isolate the general area, and with trial and error you will find the noise. The slightest noise gets me nuts, so I became an expert rattle sleuth over the years. Drives others nuts when I ask them to listen for the noises they say are in my head.

Last edited by Tommm; 11-29-2016 at 09:13 PM..
Appreciate 0