BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-20-2012, 04:11 PM   #1
dorkdog
Big Mouth No Filter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i Montego Blue 6MT Sport

Couple questions short timeframe please

I have a CPO'd 128i with 23K, runflats look OK but not great. Sport pkg, 6MT

Thinking of having Michelin Pilot A/S sports put on tomorrow, out the door for $900.

My questions:

1. What difference will I notice in driving and handling with the new tires?

2. Is there any reason not to do this before a 6,500 mile drive across the US and back? Is there a break in procedure that I will not be following driving 70-80 mph for 10-12 hours a day, for 4 days?

We are leaving Friday and I have a short time to let them know I wanna do it. What do y'all think?
      06-20-2012, 04:56 PM   #2
CGMike
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i Coupe Sport

I would put the wear on the runflats and put the new tires on after you get back. it will also be nice if you get a flat while driving across country. The michelins should handle better and will probably be quieter.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2012, 05:31 PM   #3
dorkdog
Big Mouth No Filter
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGMike View Post
I would put the wear on the runflats and put the new tires on after you get back. it will also be nice if you get a flat while driving across country. The michelins should handle better and will probably be quieter.
I'm thinking about it, but the RFTs are really looking bad. From what I have read, 23K isn't too bad especially since I don't know how they were driven before I got the car.
      06-20-2012, 06:56 PM   #4
IZAGLO
Mbira
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sedonna Red 09 135i SOLD

Put the new tires on....You will feel much better knowing you have a good set of tires on the car for the long drive plus it will be quieter and a better ride....Putting new tires on cars should be done sooner than later IMO...Having good rubber is great....having worn out = noisy, and can have issues in the rain..Put the Michelins on.....you may want to consider the Michelin SS...great tire.
      06-20-2012, 07:36 PM   #5
GaryS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i 6MT

Garage List
2009 135i  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorkdog View Post
runflats look OK but not great.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorkdog View Post
the RFTs are really looking bad.
Wow, they got a lot worse in one hour!

Sorry, just kidding. But the point is you need to either measure the tread depth or just compare it to the wear bars between the threads to see how much is left. Otherwise, it's not possible to answer whether you should put the new tires on.

Now if you just want to start using the new tires and don't want to wait until the old tires are worn out, that's different. Go ahead, enjoy.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2012, 08:07 PM   #6
dorkdog
Big Mouth No Filter
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryS View Post
Wow, they got a lot worse in one hour!

Sorry, just kidding. But the point is you need to either measure the tread depth or just compare it to the wear bars between the threads to see how much is left. Otherwise, it's not possible to answer whether you should put the new tires on.

Now if you just want to start using the new tires and don't want to wait until the old tires are worn out, that's different. Go ahead, enjoy.
Yes I spose I could clarify... I went out and looked at the wear bars and it seems as though there is very little tread left between the edge and the top of the bar but more between the tread and the area without the bar. Where the bar is, it's about 1/16", where the bar isn't it's maybe 3/32"

I'm thinking I'll go ahead and put 'em on. I'm just concerned about the new tires being driven 7000 miles right off the bat.
      02-15-2013, 05:10 PM   #7
dorkdog
Big Mouth No Filter
United_States
Rep

Here is an update...

I put the tires on and drove 7500 miles cross country, then put another 9K on them in commuter driving (14 mi/day). Now, 8 mos after getting the tires, I fail inspection because the traed is worn down to 1/32" rear. Front is 7/32"....

21,600 tires on... 36.900 tires shot (rears)

Any thoughts? What could cause me to get such crappy mileage? I have a 128 so it can't be spinning out or drifting - I don't do that stuff. Especially with half the existing miles in interstate point-to-point driving.