BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-18-2013, 09:58 AM   #111
Freon
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

I would not go to the dealer for tires (any dealer for that matter, not just BMW, but Chevy, Toyota, whatever). They are severely overpriced. When I went in for service they noticed my tires (my Dunlop Z1s) were worn and slipped me a quote with my receipt papers. It was about $400 (like 25-30%) more expensive than DiscountTire or Tirerack for the exact same RFTs, mounted, balanced, out the door. Maybe that was supposed to include a reach around?

Luckily, I have a friend with a mount and balance machine so I order my tires online (usually Tirerack) and pay him in beer.

The open diff on sporty cars is still tragic, but that's another thread and been beaten to death already...
      09-18-2013, 03:21 PM   #112
Tito44
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M235XI

Does the M5 come with a spare? That is really interesting...
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2013, 04:45 PM   #113
Qunadry
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

I'm sure this has been asked and answered before, but will BMW try to void your warranty for not using BMW approved tires?
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2013, 05:04 PM   #114
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep
Drives: Cars Usually

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qunadry View Post
I'm sure this has been asked and answered before, but will BMW try to void your warranty for not using BMW approved tires?
I think they'd have a tough time on that on several fronts - hard to imagine what non-runflats would cause damage to that they'd try to not fix under a warranty claim? Maaaaybe suspension parts? That seems to be the only thing closely related.

Plus, they'd have a tough time with the argument against michelin pilot super sports since that's what they put on every single M-model it seems. I was paranoid enough though that they might try something if I got one size up (225s and 255s), so I stuck with the stock sizes just in case.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2013, 08:22 AM   #115
Lexington
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Blue Water

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freon View Post
I would not go to the dealer for tires (any dealer for that matter, not just BMW, but Chevy, Toyota, whatever). They are severely overpriced. When I went in for service they noticed my tires (my Dunlop Z1s) were worn and slipped me a quote with my receipt papers. It was about $400 (like 25-30%) more expensive than DiscountTire or Tirerack for the exact same RFTs, mounted, balanced, out the door. Maybe that was supposed to include a reach around?

Luckily, I have a friend with a mount and balance machine so I order my tires online (usually Tirerack) and pay him in beer.

The open diff on sporty cars is still tragic, but that's another thread and been beaten to death already...
Recently purchased a set of PSS from the local BMW dealer. They were a little more expensive but the tire shop I normally use would not do an alignment on the car and the delear didn't charge for mounting and balancing if you paid for an alignment. Ended up about $50.00 more for everything at the Dealer as opposed to the local tire shop. Worth it to me to keep from making a trip to the tire shop and then driving over to the dealer for the alignment factoring in time and missing work. Might as well check with the dealer and get an estimate.
      09-20-2013, 09:54 AM   #116
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

A spare tire is needed like a snooze button on a smoke alarm. If you dont stray more than 40 miles in your dd'ing, its a waste of weight, space and everything else. How often does somebody tear a tire to the point of not being able to drive it to a shop? Even if you get a nail, pressure wont drop almost always until you pull it. The only situation I can recommend a spare for is long distance trips.
      09-20-2013, 06:44 PM   #117
cat-like
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
A spare tire is needed like a snooze button on a smoke alarm. If you dont stray more than 40 miles in your dd'ing, its a waste of weight, space and everything else. How often does somebody tear a tire to the point of not being able to drive it to a shop? Even if you get a nail, pressure wont drop almost always until you pull it. The only situation I can recommend a spare for is long distance trips.
Agreed. I have my trusty BMW assist card and a phone as well as the goo kit as insurance. How would I get my golf clubs in with a spare wheel in the trunk? If I do a long country trip I can throw one of the original wheels in as I still have them.

It's murphy's law - my Alfa didn't have a spare and I didn't have a puncture or even a slow leak in over 3 years of ownership. My Golf had a spare and I had 5 punctures in 2 years, but in every case I made it somewhere in time to get it repaired without having to change the tyre. You've gotta love pressure monitoring systems
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2013, 09:26 PM   #118
MPBK
Everyday I'm shuffling
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 SG 135i DCT; '18 MG M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRST1 View Post
What is everyone's flat-tire prevention method? spare in the trunk? I doubt it
I don't have a flat tire prevention method.
I do have a remediation method.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2013, 10:18 PM   #119
byungsk86
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X1 sDrive28i

LOL so it just injecting goop into the tire?

fascinating...
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2013, 02:51 AM   #120
dubai135
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i vert msport

The M5 has that kit in the trunk and no spare. I haven't ever looked at the kit but its some patch it with goop I presume. I'd just park and call my free towing.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2013, 05:52 PM   #121
MPBK
Everyday I'm shuffling
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by byungsk86 View Post
LOL so it just injecting goop into the tire?

fascinating...
Did you miss the fact that it has an electric pump that you plug into your cig lighter?
The goop is to fill the hole.
I've asked the local tire shop if they will fix a tire full of goop inside and he said no problem.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2013, 05:58 PM   #122
MPBK
Everyday I'm shuffling
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubai135 View Post
The M5 has that kit in the trunk and no spare. I haven't ever looked at the kit but its some patch it with goop I presume. I'd just park and call my free towing.
Free it may be, but it will kill 2-4 hours of your day.
And if there's no tire repair shop where you intended to go before the flat happened, the tow may kill your entire day and force you to reschedule your appointment (not always possible).
This goop thingy takes only 15 mins (faster than changing a spare) and will allow you to get where you need to be, and fix the tire later, at your convenience.
That is priceless.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2013, 06:10 PM   #123
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep
Drives: Cars Usually

Ya, the only problem ends up being when you have to wait a day or two to get a new tire (if beyond repair) and/or a damaged rim. That's really the only concern. At least with a donut or full-size spare you can ride around town for a couple of days if need be while waiting for a new tire and/or rim. Damn potholes.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2013, 11:09 PM   #124
MPBK
Everyday I'm shuffling
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregthegr8 View Post
Ya, the only problem ends up being when you have to wait a day or two to get a new tire (if beyond repair) and/or a damaged rim. That's really the only concern. At least with a donut or full-size spare you can ride around town for a couple of days if need be while waiting for a new tire and/or rim. Damn potholes.
If you want to cover all cases, buy a donut and leave it in your garage.
What if you don't have a garage? Sorry.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2015, 01:37 PM   #125
JHZR2
Major
Rep
Drives: 91 E30, 11 135i cv

Bringing this thread back from the dead.

Thinking of doing the PSS swap this year, since the wear rate on my 135i m-sport is low enough that I'll probably, amazingly, get 40k+ out of them. I'm just worried about the long term damage to my wheels and suspension from bad roads and RFT tires. I'm not concerned about a plug kit and a bike pump just in case.

But what about any regrets? I've seen a few threads on the E90 forum on this site where there are lots of regrets and people who wanted to back to RFT tires for better steering and feel.

I get it that mods can fix some of the feel issues, but I'm happy with my car and would rather spend $2500 on something else. So, anyone regretting going from RFT to PSS?
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2015, 10:24 PM   #126
cwaldo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '11 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHZR2 View Post
Bringing this thread back from the dead.

Thinking of doing the PSS swap this year, since the wear rate on my 135i m-sport is low enough that I'll probably, amazingly, get 40k+ out of them. I'm just worried about the long term damage to my wheels and suspension from bad roads and RFT tires. I'm not concerned about a plug kit and a bike pump just in case.

But what about any regrets? I've seen a few threads on the E90 forum on this site where there are lots of regrets and people who wanted to back to RFT tires for better steering and feel.

I get it that mods can fix some of the feel issues, but I'm happy with my car and would rather spend $2500 on something else. So, anyone regretting going from RFT to PSS?
I switched to PSS a few weeks ago and I have no regrets! I wish I would've done this sooner. More grip, better ride and steering as I went with 235 & 265.
Appreciate 0