BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-28-2011, 09:53 PM   #1
ValkyrieXT
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 Blue BMW 128i

Any Advice

I just got my 2008 BMW 128i, and for those more experienced who could shed some light or experience on the new guy concerning the car, it would be much appreciated. I got the car used at 40 K miles, and put a good bit of work into it to get it looking good again (the old owner abused it; 40 k miles in a year and a half).

Im just 18 years old, and I know that most users have a tendency to dislike younger drivers, but any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2011, 10:11 PM   #2
zkeeper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 & 08 Z4 si

Congrats on the "new" car for you. Hope you got a decent bargain. I don't think everyone feels you young guys are out of it...its just that we see younger guys get a Bimmer and then do as the previous owner did...beat it to death. And that person probably was 42 years old..LOL.

Since it has 40K on clock..first try to get service records on it. Most BMW shops will be able to provide that with the VIN #. It may show that all service is up to date..but then again may not. Ex: brake fluid is to be replaced every couple of years..not matter the mileage. Make sure all fluids are fresh...if there is any question on engine oil, diff oil, and especially rad fluids just pop for fresh fluids. BMW's are pretty tough..and depending upon what you mean by abusing it....it may have just been run hard but serviced well. That is what you need to determine.

Then make sure all brake fluids and pads are up to snuff,,,no matter how fast you go, you have to stop. Make SURE all components are in top shape for miles or...the abuse. Keep tires up to inflation...BMW's love to loose a bit of air over several weeks. Makes a nice difference in handling and mileage. MOST people hardly check their tires.

Make sure you get the paint clayed...check out autogeek.com for info on this claying and paint cleaning issue. Then make sure paint is well waxed...and wheels as well. Remove the wheels if you need to..to get all dust off and then get some Griot's Paint sealant to get wheels waxed up decent. Makes it easy to keep them clean as hot brake dust loves to cake on those wheels.

Sad about the abuse..but I think you will want to make it a pristine example of the Bimmer family..and will take care of it. The thing I cannot yet figure out, is that the car is one of the most expensive things a person owns. YET, many do not take care of it...keep it clean...and sometimes neglect service...terrible!!! Good luck...and let us know how it goes for you...
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 06:29 PM   #3
janus77
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 125i coupe

40k miles in a year and a half aint too bad if it's highway km's, should be running sweet!
Mine's just clicked over 23,000 as i ride a pushy most of the time, and i reckon the engine's just loosened up properly. nice buy dude, they are a great driver's car.