BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-08-2011, 03:37 PM   #67
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

sexy

Appreciate 0
      07-08-2011, 03:46 PM   #68
MD Designs
car enthusiast
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
you have more miles on the loaner than you do on your car...

thats bad
Substantially more... I had more miles on the loaner in 2 days then I have on my new car.

What was the, sexy post? lol
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2011, 03:48 PM   #69
MD Designs
car enthusiast
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveHard View Post
There is a saying in BMW land..

There's the right way

There's the wrong way

Then there is the BMW way. <<< they have always written there own rules LOL >>>>
Well, lets see if their rules coincide with the legal rules. I'm guessing they will. Don't fail me BMW!
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2011, 03:52 PM   #70
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Designs View Post

What was the, sexy post? lol
Quote:

I simply look at them with a smile, and tell them, "The engine blew up... Ya that's right... boom."

Appreciate 0
      07-08-2011, 04:09 PM   #71
MD Designs
car enthusiast
Rep

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2011, 04:49 PM   #72
Kamal
Indian Stig
United_States
Rep
Drives: '03 540i M, '11 Ducati M796

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [7.56]
2011 BMW 328i  [8.00]
I would definitely start the process of getting a brand new vehicle from BMW and a better long term loaner until it's in your hands. Do you even plan to keep the car 6 years? If not, there's no point in trying to get the extended warranty/maintenance, other than for resale-ability.

2008 E82 N54 || Stage 2 -------- Gone to a good home.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2011, 05:03 PM   #73
MD Designs
car enthusiast
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamal View Post
I would definitely start the process of getting a brand new vehicle from BMW and a better long term loaner until it's in your hands. Do you even plan to keep the car 6 years? If not, there's no point in trying to get the extended warranty/maintenance, other than for resale-ability.
Already spoke to bmw na corporate headquarters. They are waiting to hear from their marketing team, as well as their engineer who is handling my car. My question is, what does the marketing team have anything to do it?

As for keeping the car... More then likely not... However, before I decide if I plan to keep a car for more then 6 years... I need to have it for more then 5 days.

Last edited by MD Designs; 07-08-2011 at 05:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2011, 06:20 PM   #74
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: IS 300

Garage List
Quote:
I believe coldnate is correct.... CA lemon laws does say if a car is in the shop for longer then 30 it does fall under the CA lemon law.
I need to move to CA...

"Speed never killed anyone its very important to get that straight, Speed has never killed a soul. Suddenly becoming stationary thats what gets people." - Jeremy Clarkson
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2011, 06:57 PM   #75
MD Designs
car enthusiast
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoutnj89 View Post
I need to move to CA...
If you enjoy parking lots full of the finest cars (non of which are owned outright) on the planet between *4 - 6pm m-f, she is the place for you!

*times are not exact and may very based on forest fires, highway pursuits, land slides, and rain... yes rain.

Last edited by MD Designs; 07-08-2011 at 07:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2011, 08:36 PM   #76
shodanusmc
Captain
Rep
Drives: 09 135 Vert

Bearing went on a new Subaru outback for me several years back after 4 months and 3,000 miles. Got a new Long Block, a free 7 year extended warranty, 5 years of free maintenance, and a $3,500 credit to be used if I wanted to trade it in for another Subie, plus a guaranteed trade in price. No, they would not just give me a new one.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2011, 08:48 PM   #77
IZAGLO
Mbira
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sedonna Red 09 135i SOLD

Quote:
Originally Posted by shodanusmc View Post
Bearing went on a new Subaru outback for me several years back after 4 months and 3,000 miles. Got a new Long Block, a free 7 year extended warranty, 5 years of free maintenance, and a $3,500 credit to be used if I wanted to trade it in for another Subie, plus a guaranteed trade in price. No, they would not just give me a new one.
Good deal there ^^^^^^^^

If BMW wants to step up IMO they should replace the car..will they?????? If not they SHOULD compensate you for the horrible hassle and stress and loss of not having transportation as well as compensate you financially for car payments plus...If they intend to fix your car i would tell them to put in the BMW Performance Suspension and M3 SB...or other BMW Performance options such as there pricey but neat CF CAI///whatever it is they should do something for the hassle ..
      07-08-2011, 09:52 PM   #78
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackeroni View Post
Sure. What could those German (and Japanese, and American) drivetrain engineers know about breaking in engines? Go ahead and zing it up to redline. Then, snick it into first and dump the clutch. That'll show em. You know better than they do.

Maybe its an accident, but my last two cars went over 200,000 miles before I traded them. They are still running strong out there somewhere. Maybe its because I followed the break-in instructions and maintenance schedule religiously. Or maybe I was just lucky.

I'm positive that what happened to the OP has anything to do with engine break in.

Also, no matter which side one is on with regard to break-in, neither side has advocated starting a cold engine and then blasting off in 1st gear to red line.
That is a myth perpetuated by the "slow" or "by the book" break-in advocates.

Last edited by RPM90; 07-08-2011 at 10:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2011, 10:29 PM   #79
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
People also say that you "cannon" refute the fact that the moon landings were filmed in LA or that hitler is alive in argentina

Conspirathy theories are fun
Wait....what?

I was just talking to a guy who had a 2009 135i with 230,000 miles on it.
He was doing his 77th oil change, just the oil, he uses the oil filter for 20K to save some money.
We were talking about his uncle's friends neighbor who was a camera man in LA back in 1968.
He said the "moon walking" scenes were very hard to film cause they had to do some special lighting to keep the see-thru cables from being seen.
Anyway, he then told me a story about his uncle's friend's neighbor's cousin who met this funny looking guy with small rectangular mostache. His uncle's friend's neighbor's cousin met this old German dude in Argentina, who had an old 1940's Mercedes with over 300,000 miles on it.

The story was that he picked the car up directly from the Mercedes manufacturing plant, and that it was built especially for him. The engineers told him to drive slowly for the first couple thousand miles. But, as he was picking up his new car, bombs started falling in the area. It was during that war, the second one. So he had to drive it as fast as he could to the shipping dock cause he was leaving town that very day. Some business deal went sour or something like that.
He said he felt bad that he was red lining his brand new engine, but his business partners were out looking for him so he had to split real quick!

He put all those miles on in South America, mostly during expeditions looking for some strange ape like creature that walked like a man, but didn't know how to use a razor. They got some fuzzy photos, but never caught him.
The most amazing thing though was that the German dude told my buddies uncle's neighbor's friend's cousin that, since oil was hard to come by down there at that time, he filtered his old oil through some German military issued "trench" socks, which apparently were great for the job as they removed particles down to the micron level. Those Germans sure do make some good stuff. Amazing socks!

But c'mon. Do you really think that a man in a thick snowmobile suit could walk on a surface made of cheese without sticking to it?
It's science man. The bright side of the moon is hot cause the sun shines on it all day. That cheese would be all melty and gooey. I think that's those are the science terms for it.
As the saying goes, don't believe everything you don't already know that you learned from the other 4th graders.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2011, 10:32 PM   #80
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swaite View Post
Did you really just attack a typo I made, and then make a typo yourself? Wow...

Are you trying to say that a manufacturer of any product intends for it to last forever? That's just not good business.
Naw. I think he's just got a lisp.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2011, 10:40 PM   #81
MD Designs
car enthusiast
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
Wait....what?

I was just talking to a guy who had a 2009 135i with 230,000 miles on it.
He was doing his 77th oil change, just the oil, he uses the oil filter for 20K to save some money.
We were talking about his uncle's friends neighbor who was a camera man in LA back in 1968.
He said the "moon walking" scenes were very hard to film cause they had to do some special lighting to keep the see-thru cables from being seen.
Anyway, he then told me a story about his uncle's friend's neighbor's cousin who met this funny looking guy with small rectangular mostache. His uncle's friend's neighbor's cousin met this old German dude in Argentina, who had an old 1940's Mercedes with over 300,000 miles on it.

The story was that he picked the car up directly from the Mercedes manufacturing plant, and that it was built especially for him. The engineers told him to drive slowly for the first couple thousand miles. But, as he was picking up his new car, bombs started falling in the area. It was during that war, the second one. So he had to drive it as fast as he could to the shipping dock cause he was leaving town that very day. Some business deal went sour or something like that.
He said he felt bad that he was red lining his brand new engine, but his business partners were out looking for him so he had to split real quick!

He put all those miles on in South America, mostly during expeditions looking for some strange ape like creature that walked like a man, but didn't know how to use a razor. They got some fuzzy photos, but never caught him.
The most amazing thing though was that the German dude told my buddies uncle's neighbor's friend's cousin that, since oil was hard to come by down there at that time, he filtered his old oil through some German military issued "trench" socks, which apparently were great for the job as they removed particles down to the micron level. Those Germans sure do make some good stuff. Amazing socks!

But c'mon. Do you really think that a man in a thick snowmobile suit could walk on a surface made of cheese without sticking to it?
It's science man. The bright side of the moon is hot cause the sun shines on it all day. That cheese would be all melty and gooey. I think that's those are the science terms for it.
As the saying goes, don't believe everything you don't already know that you learned from the other 4th graders.
BAHAHA!
      07-08-2011, 10:51 PM   #82
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicker View Post
Short block is the block, crank pistons etc etc. Long block is a short block with a head on it.
Yes.

In the case of the Mazda 3, I was told it was a "whole new engine", minus the ancillary equipment, meaning, anything that bolts up to it like the AC compressor, power steering pump, alternator, etc...

Mazda did right, except for the tech's who didn't do so right.

OP:
Even if it's a whole new engine, they still have to take everything, everything off of it and then re-install. That's not a bad thing as long as it's done right.
So, for the Mazda 3 I was fine with that since it was 2.5yrs old, even though it only had 15k miles.
But, for a brand spanking new car, just out of the dealers lot, I'm with you in that I want what I just paid for A BRAND NEW CAR that doesn't have knicks, dings, or scratches on the all those dust covers, nuts, and bolts.
It should be NEW as new can get, meaning UNTOUCHED at that level.
It really is too much to ask of a customer who just drove off the lot and the engine went.

Stay positive, polite, and direct about what you want.
Hell, I think even GM and Dodge has/had a 60 day return policy for new cars where you can return the car for full refund, even if the engine didn't fail.

I'm sending positive vibes into the air for ya...can you feel them yet?
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2011, 11:24 PM   #83
MD Designs
car enthusiast
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
Yes.
Stay positive, polite, and direct about what you want.
Hell, I think even GM and Dodge has/had a 60 day return policy for new cars where you can return the car for full refund, even if the engine didn't fail.

I'm sending positive vibes into the air for ya...can you feel them yet?
Very much appreciated, its been such a let down so far.

I have stated very directly, and clearly what I need for compensation from BMW. At this stage, it is just a matter of seeing how and what they do to correct the situation.

I am trying to stay as positive as I can at this point, despite every day being a reminder as I get into the rental... I just really do hope BMW steps up to the plate, and restore a die hard car enthusiast back to whole.

I am guessing I will hear something from BMW on Monday. It's going to be a very long weekend. Thanks again for the encouragement and positive vibes.
      07-09-2011, 07:10 AM   #84
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep

Ask them if an S65 longblock isnt backordered.

It might be the solution to all of your problems

And to that story, I thought you were serious until halfway through the third paragraph there is no luck for me at 8 am on a saturday

Appreciate 0
      07-09-2011, 03:25 PM   #85
MD Designs
car enthusiast
Rep

Quote:
Ask them if an S65 longblock isnt backordered.

It might be the solution to all of your problems
I'll give bmw na corporate a ring first thing in the morning to see if they can't get that S65 here a bit earlier.
      07-10-2011, 06:33 PM   #86
MD Designs
car enthusiast
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IZAGLO View Post
Good deal there ^^^^^^^^

.If they intend to fix your car i would tell them to put in the BMW Performance Suspension and M3 SB...or other BMW Performance options such as there pricey but neat CF CAI///whatever it is they should do something for the hassle ..
Thanks for the input.
At this stage, I am not sure I would accept anything but a new car, or at least a car that is working from the factory. The engine is on backorder, and who knows the time frame it will take to complete a full engine swap. I was told 7days for the installation, but that was once they receive the engine.

It seems like the most logical approach would be to just place me in a similar vehicle (one that runs of course) and compensate me for the headaches. I still can't get over the fact that with only a 100ish miles placed on the car, that I am now in a rental.

I remember walking through Welt last year and just admiring the history of BMW. They even managed to get me in a tour of the plant when they were sold out, which was just such an incredible experience. And now, after thousands of miles of travel, nothing but praise for the company, I am out the car, my money, and the hastle and uncertainty of not knowing how this will turn out.... Sigh... Tomorrow I should hear something, fingers crossed!
      07-10-2011, 07:40 PM   #87
IZAGLO
Mbira
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sedonna Red 09 135i SOLD

quote MD "It seems like the most logical approach would be to just place me in a similar vehicle (one that runs of course) and compensate me for the headaches.

I agree 100% new car should be the result here, no questions asked...with compensation...screw waiting for a motor to be replaced and all the other BS..Compensation is going to be a bartering point, get as much as you can.
      07-10-2011, 08:39 PM   #88
MD Designs
car enthusiast
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IZAGLO View Post
quote MD "It seems like the most logical approach would be to just place me in a similar vehicle (one that runs of course) and compensate me for the headaches.

I agree 100% new car should be the result here, no questions asked...with compensation...screw waiting for a motor to be replaced and all the other BS..Compensation is going to be a bartering point, get as much as you can.
Thanks. I will be giving bmw corporate na a ring first thing monday morning to see what is going on. Stay tuned.