BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-12-2014, 01:05 AM   #1
Manual only
Rep
Drives: BMW

Storage tips and reccomendations

I stored the vehicle last August after a full detail oil change and full tank of gas... I was planning on taking her out this summer after the pollen clears up but I am debating on leaving her inside until next summer she's sitting under the factory cover windows cracked slightly trunk is not fully shut she's also on the factory trickle charger. Should I start/drive her or just leave her be in her present state. I plan on letting my son and daughter drive her one day, my son is about 19 months old and my daughter is coming out around July.. So I'm trying to preserve her as much as possible. Should I buy the extended warranty thru BMW just incase?

Thanks in advance for any input...
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2014, 06:00 AM   #2
carchrism5
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2, X3 M40i, 911

The car is meant to be driven, I understand you want to preserve it for your children but instead why not go on trips in it with them, take pictures, make memories. Then when your kids are old enough to appreciate it they will have many stories to say "this is the car where my dad and I did......" rather than "This is the car that sat in the garage doing nothing through my childhood. My dad tried to "save" a car for my sister and I from when she was born, a brand new 1987 S class. He babied the car and only drove it 70k miles in about 18 years. While I know it wasn't anywhere near as special of a car, it was the nicest car my dad had bought to date and was very proud to buy a $50k car in cash and wanted to save it. We sold the car years ago and it meant nothing honestly, the best parts were the few funny stories we have in the car. Like when my dad tried to change my sister's diaper in the back seat in the rain. Needless to say he got soaking wet and it was hilarious. Then he was like "That's it! I'm getting a mini van", it was hilarious.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2014, 09:34 AM   #3
flzrider
Captain
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by carchrism5 View Post
The car is meant to be driven, I understand you want to preserve it for your children but instead why not go on trips in it with them, take pictures, make memories. Then when your kids are old enough to appreciate it they will have many stories to say "this is the car where my dad and I did......" rather than "This is the car that sat in the garage doing nothing through my childhood. My dad tried to "save" a car for my sister and I from when she was born, a brand new 1987 S class. He babied the car and only drove it 70k miles in about 18 years. While I know it wasn't anywhere near as special of a car, it was the nicest car my dad had bought to date and was very proud to buy a $50k car in cash and wanted to save it. We sold the car years ago and it meant nothing honestly, the best parts were the few funny stories we have in the car. Like when my dad tried to change my sister's diaper in the back seat in the rain. Needless to say he got soaking wet and it was hilarious. Then he was like "That's it! I'm getting a mini van", it was hilarious.
Agreed.

Car's get all sorts of issues from not being driven.
      05-12-2014, 09:47 AM   #4
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

It's a car, not a Matisse. Drive it!

Neil
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2014, 09:55 AM   #5
Stratus650
Lieutenant
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 1er M Coupe

I Agree with the guys

You can drive it and still take good care of it so it can live up to 18 years in your case I guess. There are 25 y.o cars that are daily drivers till today, W126 for example
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2014, 10:58 AM   #6
Pete_vB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '69 GT3, GT4, 1M, 912

For long term storage gas stabilizer in the tank would be good, as the gas will go bad.
Ideally you'd air up the tires an extra 10 psi and jack up the car to take weight off them to prevent them flat-spotting. Even better would be to take the wheels off and stick them in sealed bags filled with N2 so the rubber doesn't oxidize.

Skip the extended warranty, if you don't drive it much it'll be cheaper to simply fix issues that come up.

Your best move, however, would be to drive it about 10 miles every month or two, enough to get warm, and try to cycle all the little electric motors, seats, windows, vents, etc while you're at it. This will insure the motor gets a nice even coat of protective oil, and that no corrosion starts to form either on bearings or electrical contacts- once it does it will eventually turn into a bad stop that will cause failure shortly after you start using it again. I'd much rather buy a car used this way than one stored long term without use, as those tend to require serious repair bills shortly after they go back in service.
      05-12-2014, 01:20 PM   #7
Dee Pee
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 AW 1M, ‘24 718 GTS

It's a car, not a Faberge egg! Drive it!

Ok someone else jump in here...

I also have a 1953 MG TD that gets driven on short jaunts. My father gave it to me. That's a 60+ year old car and as previously noted, it, like any other car, will continue to drive great as it is properly maintained.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2014, 01:39 PM   #8
css008
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw 1m

Quote:
Absolutely agree w/ carchrism5. Moreover, technology is increasing so rapidly in cars, the 1M is going to be ancient in 16 years, who knows if they'll even want it? Stop thinking about it and go drive your car!
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2014, 02:05 PM   #9
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

A lot of kids these days don't care about cars, many don't even bother with a licence. They would rather have a new phone. Ugh......

It's a car, why have it if you are not going to drive it?
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2014, 08:49 PM   #10
Manual only
Rep
Drives: BMW

I understand driving it will be better but I have the luxury of driving different vehicles for lesuire. This being the first M purchased in the family were making it a point that it will be driven within the next generations to come. Pete thanks replying to my question, I did add stabil prior to storage so all should be well. I have access to a dealer plate and will take your advice on 10 miles a month would it be better to run it on a Dyno so theres less resistance?

I recently bought and sold an evolution iv that was stored in a garage since 2003, after replacing all fluids she ran like a champ all she really needed was the oil switch replaced i was weary of people not knowing to to fix her that why she was sold. hopefully people down the line get familiar with with this chassis so they can identify symptoms ASAP.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2014, 12:55 PM   #11
Pete_vB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '69 GT3, GT4, 1M, 912

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manual only View Post
I have access to a dealer plate and will take your advice on 10 miles a month would it be better to run it on a Dyno so theres less resistance?
No, I'd do it on the road (when it's nice out) to make sure you're exercising all of the suspension, etc as well. You're trying to keep everything moving so that it doesn't have an chance to seize.

As for load, once everything is warm and broken in then high load is probably a good thing. Many of the biggest problems with modern direct injection cars, carbon buildup, etc, occur when a car isn't allowed to fully warm or isn't driven hard enough. I'd personally want to get on full boost a few times at least once every few drives after the oil, etc is fully up to temp.
      10-24-2014, 08:07 PM   #12
derekgeorge
Rep
Drives: x5 1907

storage

Hi, I have a similar problem. The car will be stored for two months.It will be inside but not heated, Toronto temps can get sub-zero . There is no power outlet for a charger. I am happy to fill up gas. If I really have too I can get it started. I do worry about the battery and electrics.
Any advise?
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2014, 08:35 PM   #13
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i

OP - Since no one really gives good advice here, I'll chime in.

I store my Z4M in the winter to avoid salt...and it will become a snow plow because it is low.

Been doing it for the past 3 years, going to be 4 years storing it. It is at 39,000 miles.

If you're going to store it for the winter, personally I'd avoid starting it and driving it. I would recommend changing the oil come spring time.

I put 40 PSI of air in the tires, gas tank to full, and put it on a trickle charger. No need to keep windows open or anything else open.

Each spring it cranks up fine with no issues. Do what you want. Personally I think avoiding winter operation is a smart idea.

PS - Starting up the engine to let it idle won't help much
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2014, 10:51 AM   #14
Em/1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M VO

Garage List
2019 VW GTI SE  [0.00]
2020 Tesla M3P  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manual only View Post
I understand driving it will be better but I have the luxury of driving different vehicles for lesuire. This being the first M purchased in the family were making it a point that it will be driven within the next generations to come. Pete thanks replying to my question, I did add stabil prior to storage so all should be well. I have access to a dealer plate and will take your advice on 10 miles a month would it be better to run it on a Dyno so theres less resistance?

I recently bought and sold an evolution iv that was stored in a garage since 2003, after replacing all fluids she ran like a champ all she really needed was the oil switch replaced i was weary of people not knowing to to fix her that why she was sold. hopefully people down the line get familiar with with this chassis so they can identify symptoms ASAP.
Unless you have more cars than Jay Leno, you should still drive it! I think, from what I have read, that 20 miles at a crack is more like what it takes to really warm everything up and get all the water out of the exhaust. Even in winter in Chicago can find at least once a month when salt is scarce.
PS Your kids are unlikely to give a hoot.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2014, 11:10 AM   #15
Jay-K
Brigadier General
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: Slow

Quote:

WELL SAID,
      10-25-2014, 11:13 AM   #16
Jay-K
Brigadier General
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: Slow

actually this is a nice thread that will work for me,
I will be leaving summer 2015, for college in the US,
I am in confuse of what i am going to do to my two babies.

since we have summer all year long here, we are not common with the idea of hibernating car in the garage for a long time.

any tips or like limitations on how long they can hold through?
      10-30-2014, 10:30 AM   #17
1MSPEEDY
Can't wait for spring!
Canada
Rep
Drives: 1M, 135 M-Sport

Garage List
My 2 cents,
Anyone that knows Toronto salt and slush understands why we store a car when we are fortunate enough to have multiple cars. A southern Ontario winter does far more damage to a car than the minor potential effects of indoor storage. Winter driving also kills the resale value of a collectable car.
I block the suspension up approximately 1" to take some weight off without hanging the suspension. Tires are maintained at about 48 psi. I use a smart battery minder and I do fill the car and use stabilizer.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2014, 05:17 PM   #18
blotto649
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: '04 996 GT3/'88 911 Carrera

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekgeorge View Post
Hi, I have a similar problem. The car will be stored for two months.It will be inside but not heated, Toronto temps can get sub-zero . There is no power outlet for a charger. I am happy to fill up gas. If I really have too I can get it started. I do worry about the battery and electrics.
Any advise?
I'm in TO as well and avoid the salt spray at all costs, but I agree that a full hibernation is not good for a car. You know those days when it's really cold out, but also sunny and the roads are clear and dry except for the crusted salt residue "off line"? - perfect opportunity for a 1-hour drive to stretch the legs. Even once per month is enough.
Appreciate 0