BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-03-2014, 09:25 AM   #1
Ferdi14
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i

Exclamation Should my vanos bolts be replaced ?

Service man at dealership is saying I need my vanos bolts checked. im concerned that they will mess something up and create another problem while "fixing this issue".

BMW north america said I should have my bolts replaced as it is a safety issue.

I'm scared that these incompetent workers at the dealership will screw up my engine that works perfectly right now. The cars in the shop for a service oil change.

I brought it in also because my steering wheel shakes when the air conditioner is on, the service man called and said that their is no problem with the car.

So these monkeys didn't fix one problem, but I'm supposed to trust them to take a apart my engine and put it back together ?

I just want my car back, I hate dealing with these shady service people.

What should I do ?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2014, 09:45 AM   #2
128Convertibleguy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 128 Covertible

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferdi14 View Post
Service man at dealership is saying I need my vanos bolts checked. im concerned that they will mess something up and create another problem while "fixing this issue".

I'm scared that these incompetent workers at the dealership will screw up my engine that works perfectly right now. The cars in the shop for a service oil change.

I brought it in also because my steering wheel shakes when the air conditioner is on, the service man called and said that their is no problem with the car.

So these monkeys didn't fix one problem, but I'm supposed to trust them to take a apart my engine and put it back together ?

What should I do ?
Your car has been recalled. On its face it wouldn't seem to be a good idea to ignore that.

But I understand your issue. How about this? You're in the Chicago area. Find the local BMW club. Go to the next meeting, and talk to people about dealers in the area. See if you can find one who's trusted. Maybe check other resources, like Yelp or Angie's list. Or post here - "good dealer in the Chicago area?". Or all of the above.

Any BMW dealer will do the recall work. My advice is to find a good one, and do the trip, even if it's not the most convenient thing.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2014, 03:27 PM   #3
Solo_M_Tech
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 6MT

Garage List
2014 BMW M5  [0.00]
Just freaking let them do it. It's free, it's hard to,screw up, and if they do you get a new engine out of the deal. Simple.
      11-04-2014, 07:31 AM   #4
scotty_miller
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2003.5 E46 M3

I took mine in two weeks ago to have the recall done. They had to keep the car over night which wasn't an issue. The next day I go to the dealership and they were finishing it up and the service advisor came out to me and told me the mechanic was buttoning everything up and put a wrench through the side of my radiator. Long story short I got a new radiator and coolant change for free. So anything can happen. If they mess it up, it'll be no cost to you. No reason to worry. And if you feel uneasy have one of their master techs do the work or someone with the most experience there

BMW CCA Club Racing #905

Instagram: scottynotpippen
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2014, 07:43 AM   #5
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Relax. It is just a car. It can always be fixed.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2014, 08:41 AM   #6
DSSG
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i M Sport

Good advice. You did notice this is a safety recall? If those bolts break, your engine will go out of time and probably stop running. How would you like that to happen in freeway traffic?

I find it hard to believe you can't find a competent BMW shop in Chicago!
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2014, 12:16 PM   #7
Silenus
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferdi14 View Post

What should I do ?
So one tech couldn't duplicate your A/C problem, so all of them are bad and a bunch of "monkeys"? Most of those techs went to college for their job, continued education at BMW, and spend every day pulling engines apart. They have the intelligence to diagnose a car with 100 computers in it, and the manual dexterity to do precision jobs with their hands. You couldn't do it.

Customers like you are awful. Making sweeping generalizations with absolutely no respect or understanding for the craft.
Appreciate 0