BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-28-2008, 04:46 PM   #23
60Driver
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

A lot of good constructive posts and a few not so constructive. :wink: But I think I'll go with the overpriced factory installed system. The way it ties in with the bluetooth and iDrive is interesting to me. I am a gadget geek after all. Maybe it'll distract me enough that my foot will stay off the accelerator. It's nice to know there are options though.
      03-29-2008, 07:54 AM   #24
mergen
Upstart
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

After reading in a post that SOMEONE else liked iDrive, I knew I'd like it too, and I do. It took a little learning, but that's because it does a lot. It is very well thought out. I have no complaints. Except for one. When leaving the map to do something else and then return to Navigation, I have to work through the menu to get back to the map view. (Select "Navigation" then pull back on the iDrive button 3 times then press once). To get around this I just use the "Map" voice command, and it goes right back to the map. The voice recognition has never failed to recognize a command. The nav system is pretty good, but I'm not selling my Garmin Street Pilot. The main shortcoming that I've noticed with the nav, compared to the Garmin is that as you zoom out you lose smaller, local roads quickly. On the garmin, the back roads stay visible at a greater zoom level. I like to explore back roads and alternate routes and it's nice to see where they end up by zooming out. With iDrive nav you can keep the same zoom level and track around on the map to do this, but it's tedious doing so. Zooming out is much better.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2008, 11:26 AM   #25
raventattoo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60Driver View Post
A lot of good constructive posts and a few not so constructive. :wink: But I think I'll go with the overpriced factory installed system. The way it ties in with the bluetooth and iDrive is interesting to me. I am a gadget geek after all. Maybe it'll distract me enough that my foot will stay off the accelerator. It's nice to know there are options though.
I have been having second thoughts as well. I ordered my 135i with Nav. I have only seen a very limited demo. One deciding factor for me is I was told it could display more complete lists and have better interaction with iPod/iPhone. That seems to be what others are indicating here. Anyone able to elaborate more on this?
Hope I made the right choice in ordering it...
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2008, 11:32 AM   #26
3toM
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i EB Msport

I have been torn about getting Nav. One of the interesting things for me about it is the RTTI (Real time traffic information). I live in southern California, where traffic often sucks. For those of you who are using it, does RTTI cover SoCal, and if so, do you find it useful?
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2008, 04:27 PM   #27
60Driver
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3to1 View Post
I live in southern California, where traffic often sucks. For those of you who are using it, does RTTI cover SoCal, and if so, do you find it useful?
Take a look see. Can't comment on usefulness.

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...aCoverage.aspx
      03-30-2008, 04:32 PM   #28
60Driver
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by raventattoo View Post
One deciding factor for me is I was told it could display more complete lists and have better interaction with iPod/iPhone. That seems to be what others are indicating here. Anyone able to elaborate more on this?
Hope I made the right choice in ordering it...
Somewhere on this website a guy has about a bazillion photos of iDrive screens. They do show greater detail concerning the iPods. It kills me to pay through the nose for both options just to have that capability but what can you do. Too difficult if not impossible to add later if you change your mind.
      03-30-2008, 07:04 PM   #29
3toM
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i EB Msport

Quote:

Thanks!! That helps. I'll have to get a demo of it to see how useful it will be.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2008, 09:59 PM   #30
imported_saturn
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:

Damn is that limited. I wish they just used XM traffic which has a ton more areas. As weird as it sounds the BMW's main lacking point is their nav/multimedia center. While they may have led the pack for many years, even the Evo has a nicer setup now.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2008, 10:03 PM   #31
gizmo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i

For realtime traffic... This thing sounds pretty good.

http://gizmodo.com/372736/dash-expre...fic-terminator
      04-01-2008, 03:31 PM   #32
60Driver
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mergen View Post
After reading in a post that SOMEONE else liked iDrive, I knew I'd like it too, and I do. It took a little learning, but that's because it does a lot. It is very well thought out. I have no complaints. Except for one. When leaving the map to do something else and then return to Navigation, I have to work through the menu to get back to the map view. (Select "Navigation" then pull back on the iDrive button 3 times then press once). To get around this I just use the "Map" voice command, and it goes right back to the map. The voice recognition has never failed to recognize a command. The nav system is pretty good, but I'm not selling my Garmin Street Pilot. The main shortcoming that I've noticed with the nav, compared to the Garmin is that as you zoom out you lose smaller, local roads quickly. On the garmin, the back roads stay visible at a greater zoom level. I like to explore back roads and alternate routes and it's nice to see where they end up by zooming out. With iDrive nav you can keep the same zoom level and track around on the map to do this, but it's tedious doing so. Zooming out is much better.
I thought you could 'map' one of the six preset buttons to anything. Radio station, iDrive stuff, the Map screen?
      04-01-2008, 03:53 PM   #33
plien69
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

Quote:
I thought you could 'map' one of the six preset buttons to anything. Radio station, iDrive stuff, the Map screen?
I've found that you can't map those buttons to just *anything*.

So far, I've found that you can map them to
  • Entries in the phone book
  • Navigation destinations
  • Radio stations
I was unsuccessful trying to map it to a generic function such as "Show Map". Attempting to do so merely set it to the currently entered destination.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2008, 04:03 PM   #34
mergen
Upstart
Rep

Quote:
I thought so too, but apparently not.
I did find out by reading the manual, however, that you can return to the same screen you were on by holding the button in the desired direction for 2 seconds. After leaving "map view" to make a call are fool with the radio, you then push the iDrive button to the right for 2 seconds and it goes back to where it was.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2008, 05:15 PM   #35
BMWhokie
Private
Rep

Can you link a bluetooth gps receiver with the bluetooth in the 135i so you can hear the directions through the cars speakers?
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2008, 09:40 PM   #36
JAMS 135
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWhokie View Post
Can you link a bluetooth gps receiver with the bluetooth in the 135i so you can hear the directions through the cars speakers?
Yes, even without bluetooth in the car. The Nuvi has a FM transmitter that allows you to hear Nav instructions over the radio.
      04-09-2008, 09:49 PM   #37
sadu77
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS 135 View Post
Yes, even without bluetooth in the car. The Nuvi has a FM transmitter that allows you to hear Nav instructions over the radio.

if ou subscribe to that service. it may be free for a while but eventually you have to pay for it.
Gray Poplar Trim
Nav system
Comfort access
Power/Heated seats
Sattelite radio
Ipod
Production number 398****
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2008, 10:00 PM   #38
JAMS 135
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

I think you are referring to the Traffic service; that is $5 per month.. the Nuvi will give you normal Nav directions over the radio for free.