BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-16-2009, 05:22 PM   #1
d1ko7omy
undefined
Rep
Drives: AW 135i ///Msport

Smile JB3 1.3 + Injen intake review

Had my JB3 1.3 on hand for a while now, but held off the install until two weeks ago, when I got my injen intake.

JB3 pinout install
JB3 pinout install was a piece of cake, no problems whatsoever. The video on youtube really helped (had it on my iphone while working on the car) - I'd suggest that you print the connector and wire color instructions to have on hand as this part was easier than rewinding the video. My friend was confused about the wire colors at one part, but if you follow the logic of the bundle groups, it helps (the wires for each connector are bundled together on the JB3, so don't use a wire on another bundle for the same connector).

JB3 review
After the install I ran it on map5 and felt significant improvement. I'm running 94 gas from Sunoco (I'm in Toronto) and this was an absolute blast to drive Kept me smiling for the next few days.

Apart from the obvious power gains, I noticed what felt like boost lag in the lower end RPM. Feels like it's boosting harder, sooner, but took a second to get there on medium-full throttle. This is on map 5. Map 4 felt like that lag wasn't there, but probably because it doesn't boost as hard in the lower RPMs.

When quickly letting off the gas in around 4K RPM, the engine drag is greatly reduced. on stock, it felt as if the car slowed more suddenly, whereas on the JB3 it felt like the engine was getting more gas to keep it from dragging.

Girlfriend said exhaust note was nicer.

Shifting was smoother as well, probably due to the lack of engine drag going off the throttle as mentioned.

Injen intake install
A few days later, I installed the injen intake. Install was a bit more complicated than the JB3 due to drilling. You have to drill through the metal 'honeycomb' frame next to the headlights for the power steering reservoir mount. Wasn't difficult, but make sure you have the right bit size. For the cautious DIYer, start with a smaller bit first for position, then use the larger bit. You also have to enlarge the 90 degree plastic air ducting screw holes to fit the screws into the single plastic injen duct. The other stock duct (passenger side) was not secured by anything after the install so I tied i down with zip ties. Bolts also would work, just make sure you have some form of threadlock and non-rusting bolts. The stock screws come to a sharp point, so you can also try to use those, but you would need to fashion some form of "nut" to screw them into, since the stock ducting is removed.

Injen intake + JB3 review map 5 (map4 with lagfix)
The first thing I noticed was what seemed to be a loss of 'torque kick' when the turbo initially comes in (This is 100% bum dyno). I think it may be because there is a bit more gradual power before the turbos spool up or a reduction of torque on initial spooling. While I prefer to have that nice little jump going into boost in the low RPMs (makes your passenger make that "oh ShizzzzA" face a little sooner), girlfriend says she likes the smoothness better. She thinks that kick makes it seem like I'm a worse driver haha.

Top end feels like there is much more power, and the engine is much happier up there. Noticeable improvement in highway driving. The feeling of power plateau is reduced..

SOUND: VERY NICE!! I can now hear the turbos and the little 'pshhh' of the DDVs. Very noticeable with the windows down. With the windows up you can still hear it, but it's more faint. Music would easily drown it out. Unlike my friends' Genesis 2.0t, you don't hear the turbos when revving at a standstill - I think this is a good thing .. I'm guessing it's because of how the DDVs work vs. his BOV. Vs. Stock, it feels like I'm pulling at one gear less - 3rd feels like stock 2nd, 2nd feels like stock 1st.

JB3 map 6 (94 pump gas) with Injen intake
After two weeks on map 5, I switched to map 6 to try it out. I immediately noticed an improvement in power and response I think I'm addicted to this map now. I have no other mods installed. Wheelspin in 1st gear is normal, with heavy throttle in 2nd gear around 4K RPM the wheels breaks loose, and DTC flashes with heavy throttle in 3rd gear around 4K RPM. I don't think I noticed the 3rd gear DTC flashing as much on map 5.

Overall: Worth every penny! The installs were easy as well, just make sure you have the right tools for drilling intake parts... also expect to want/need new tires in the near future
'00 ZX-6R - Yoshi exhaust
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2009, 06:19 PM   #2
HondaGoneRogue
They like my Swag...
Rep
Drives: 15 GSM 435i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by d1ko7omy View Post
Girlfriend said exhaust note was nicer.
It was all worth it then.
Kidding aside, thanks for the review. I really want the intake but I haven't heard if it will fit with a B.O.V. yet. Oh well, have fun!

2015 435i Gran Coupe - Current
2008 AW 135i - Sold
Appreciate 0