BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-15-2010, 02:40 PM   #1
N55_BBM
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i Coupe

AutoX: worth the 2 hr drive?

Hey guys, so I tried HPDE a couple of weeks ago and loved it, I'm hooked . can't wait til the next one already!

I've been meaning to try out autox for a while and haven't been able to attend any. There's one close to where I live next weekend but I won't be here, dammit.. But I just found out there's one this weekend at Mid-State Airport close to Philipsburg (central PA), but it's a 2 hour drive, which means I have to leave my house at 6:30am on a Saturday morning... that part doesn't sound like fun at all. it'll ruin my friday night and require a huge nap on saturday afternoon to be ready to enjoy the rest of the weekend .

Anyway, I heard we only get like 5 runs, and they're probably 1min each I'm guessing? wanted to hear from you guys to see if you think it's worth the hassle...
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2010, 03:27 PM   #2
pixelblue
Colonel
Rep
Drives: the silver bullet

Garage List
2010 135i  [8.90]
I get up at 5am and leave 6am on my track days and I don't mind it at all. however, 2hr drive for auto-x might be too much for me.
      10-15-2010, 03:35 PM   #3
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

You can get between 8 and 10 runs depending on how many people are there. I always think its worth it...but then again I live 10 minutes away from where I autox.

Appreciate 0
      10-15-2010, 04:05 PM   #4
timhatimay
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ///M3

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
2009 135i  [0.00]
I'd say its probably worth it if you like autocross (which is hard to know since you've never done it!). Some people do not like the slower speeds, technical turning, and lack of WOT (usually only for a few seconds), so they may find it boring compared to the HPDE. If you think this is you, wait for one closer by. I personally love auto-x and do it almost every weekend! I drove 1.5 hours to an event a few weeks ago and it was worth it. The least runs I've ever got at an event was 6, so I think you would get at least that unless it is really poorly run or overcrowded.

I say go for it...you might get hooked!

Tim
      10-15-2010, 04:22 PM   #5
ES BMW
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 E92 M3 ZCP 6MT

Sacrificing one Friday night isn't the end of the world but I would wait until the local group puts on another AutoX event to see if you're as excited about it. The drive back might be a tough one after a day of standing in the sun.

However, airport runways normally lead to long and fast runs!
      10-15-2010, 06:00 PM   #6
nordique14
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: SGM 135i 'vert

I will be up at 5:30a on Sunday to go to the BMW CCA autox. Have been for about 7 years now.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2010, 06:16 PM   #7
N55_BBM
Major
Rep

I love track days but since I've never tried autox before I really don't know.. I can see myself thinking it's boring compared to the track but you never know.

And actually for me it IS a pretty big deal missing a night here because I'm rarely at home for the weekend and this is one of those..

What's kinda setting me back is that even if I do get say 7 runs, that's under 7 min of fun for missing a night in town, having to wake up extra early (which I absolutely DETEST, not a morning person), and last but most definitely not least, it's actually a 4:15 round trip

Autox videos on YouTube haven't been quite enough to get me pumped but who knows, maybe I just need to be convinced in the next couple of hours!
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2010, 06:29 PM   #8
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Yes its slower...you usually only hit 50 or 60 tops. But its tighter and you pull some great lateral Gs. Kick the tail out sometimes with too much throttle oversteer...its a wicked fun time

Appreciate 0
      10-15-2010, 06:39 PM   #9
nordique14
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: SGM 135i 'vert

Our club tries to build a social aspect into the event. So you are going to hang out with friends for the day instead of just spending 7 minutes on course and sitting around twiddling your thumbs the rest of the time. I think you will find most good autox programs make the event fun and friendly and not just a competition.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2010, 09:15 PM   #10
Xaeryan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Sideways mostly

I think I may have already asked you in another thread, but whereabout in PA are you located?

You'll get at least 6 runs, and depending on turnout maybe 7 or 8 for most regions. On really low turnout days (rainy), our region has been finished so early we have extra "free runs" which don't count toward the competition. Got 12 runs in before she started getting a little too hot. :-)

Whether its worth it to drive 2 hours is a tough call - it can be fun, but maybe a bit frustrating in stock form (understeer understeer understeer!). It's much more fun once you're dialed in some (at least for me it was), but you need to get some events under your belt to get a feel for what improvements you need (including driver improvements). It's a learning experience, like anything else.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2010, 09:23 PM   #11
N55_BBM
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaeryan View Post
I think I may have already asked you in another thread, but whereabout in PA are you located?

You'll get at least 6 runs, and depending on turnout maybe 7 or 8 for most regions. On really low turnout days (rainy), our region has been finished so early we have extra "free runs" which don't count toward the competition. Got 12 runs in before she started getting a little too hot. :-)

Whether its worth it to drive 2 hours is a tough call - it can be fun, but maybe a bit frustrating in stock form (understeer understeer understeer!). It's much more fun once you're dialed in some (at least for me it was), but you need to get some events under your belt to get a feel for what improvements you need (including driver improvements). It's a learning experience, like anything else.
i'm in harrisburg. yeah i don't know i'm not quite feeling this.. i'm sure it'll be fun while i'm at it, but waking up to be able to be ready and on the highway by 6:30am on a saturday morning after an exhausting week of work.... i dunno that's really tough. unless some divine inspiration strikes me i'll start the heavy drinking and hit the bars in 10
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2010, 06:06 PM   #12
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

I will also be at the Sandpiper BMWCCA autox at the performance center tomorrow morning at 8am. I have to leave my house at 6:30a. I will get up at 5:30a like I normally do on work days. Not a big deal for me.

I did the same autox last year. I do not know how typical it is but we got around 5 practice laps plus at least 5 timed laps plus 5-10 more "fun" laps some of which were informally timed. I suspect you always get some practice laps before the timed laps. The fun laps require there to be time after the timed laps before the equipment has to be torn down.

It is also fun to watch other people do their laps. I was glad I was not in the first group so I could watch others routes.

Jim
      10-16-2010, 09:22 PM   #13
Xaeryan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Sideways mostly

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
I will also be at the Sandpiper BMWCCA autox at the performance center tomorrow morning at 8am. I have to leave my house at 6:30a. I will get up at 5:30a like I normally do on work days. Not a big deal for me.

I did the same autox last year. I do not know how typical it is but we got around 5 practice laps plus at least 5 timed laps plus 5-10 more "fun" laps some of which were informally timed. I suspect you always get some practice laps before the timed laps. The fun laps require there to be time after the timed laps before the equipment has to be torn down.

It is also fun to watch other people do their laps. I was glad I was not in the first group so I could watch others routes.

Jim
It's always nice to not run first, so you can watch the lines the fast people are taking and learn from them.

On another note, of the several regions I've participated in, I've never had practice laps. To me that defeats some of the challenge, which is being able to get up to speed quickly.
Appreciate 0