BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-22-2017, 06:21 AM   #1
TechieCarGuy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E91, 2008 Z4

Preventative Maintenance for Tuned cars

Ok, I know I am probably on the low end of things as far as miles at only 63,000 miles but I wanted to get some recommendations as to what we might want to start looking at as far as preventative maintenance for our cars.

I'm running a 2010 N54 135 with upgraded Corsa exhaust, VRSF 5" FMIC, Cobb drop in filter in stock air box, Cobb stage1 tune and I have recently done a walnut blast, added an oil catch-can, upgraded brakes, lines and pads and replaced my spark plugs. At this point I am working through a troubling oil leak on the back of the engine (which I suspect is a fitting on the catch-can), but I'm wondering what parts I need to be thinking about replacing as the miles start creeping up.

I'm due for a belt change and will do pulley's at same time, but what other major components should I be looking at? I recently ordered a new crank case vent hose, MAP sensor and Vargas ungraded PCV valve, but am wondering if there are other weak links I might consider upgrading or replacing at this point.

My goal is to maintain this car for a long time, thus the reason I have chosen to not tune my car above stage 1. I feel at this point the car is at its sweat spot and most of what I have done has been to get better throttle response off the line.

Some of the things I am considering are the Turbo inlets since the plastic tubes make me nervous. Would Silicone turbo outlets offer any peace of mind? or are the plastic ones good for anther 100k? I want to look at my vacuum system as well and am about to start looking at engine and suspension mounts.

I'm sure I am not alone in that I love this car and am hoping to keep it for a long time. I want to head off any potential issues before they occur and am not unwilling to spend money now in order to save the headaches later. I am also planning a trip later this summer and would love to take the car and not be worried about breaking down, not that I do now.

Any insight is appreciated.

Appreciate 0
      04-10-2017, 12:58 PM   #2
marco_135i
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i M Sport

I'm on the same boat as you. I currently have a 2012 135i with 20k miles (I'm the only owner). Originally it was a lease that ended last April and since the car had such low miles and I love the car I decided to finance the rest. So currently I'm at 20k miles and I've done nothing but take the car in for the maintenance/oil changes etc covered by BMW which ended. I now need to start taking care of things for myself. I was wondering if my car is a 2012 and has 20k miles is there any components I need to start worrying about and replacing? Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2017, 08:59 PM   #3
captain slowly
I like turtles!
Rep
Drives: '21 M2C 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by marco_135i View Post
I'm on the same boat as you. I currently have a 2012 135i with 20k miles (I'm the only owner). Originally it was a lease that ended last April and since the car had such low miles and I love the car I decided to finance the rest. So currently I'm at 20k miles and I've done nothing but take the car in for the maintenance/oil changes etc covered by BMW which ended. I now need to start taking care of things for myself. I was wondering if my car is a 2012 and has 20k miles is there any components I need to start worrying about and replacing? Thank you.
are you really worried about a car with 20k? I'd change the oil when its due and drive and enjoy the car. This isn't an F40 that requires $10k maintenance every 20k
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2017, 11:35 AM   #4
PA135i
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i 08 CR-V

Is replacing the PCV valve a DIY install?

I just had the diverter valve replaced in my car. And Carbon cleaning.. new plugs and vanos solenoids. I'm about broke.
Sparkling Graphite Metallic / 6MT / Terracotta Boston Leather / Sport Package / Comfort Access system / Gray Poplar wood trim / Heated front seats / iPod and USB adapter / HD radio / Premium hi-fi system / OE Tuning / VRSF Intercooler & charge pipe / BMW Performance short shift kit / BMW M Performance Handbrake Handle / BMW Stainless steel pedals / V1 hardwired / rear sun shades Pennsylvania 20 electoral votes
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2017, 10:19 AM   #5
135iMsportCoupe
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i Msport Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quart View Post
Ok, I know I am probably on the low end of things as far as miles at only 63,000 miles but I wanted to get some recommendations as to what we might want to start looking at as far as preventative maintenance for our cars.

I'm running a 2010 N54 135 with upgraded Corsa exhaust, VRSF 5" FMIC, Cobb drop in filter in stock air box, Cobb stage1 tune and I have recently done a walnut blast, added an oil catch-can, upgraded brakes, lines and pads and replaced my spark plugs. At this point I am working through a troubling oil leak on the back of the engine (which I suspect is a fitting on the catch-can), but I'm wondering what parts I need to be thinking about replacing as the miles start creeping up.

I'm due for a belt change and will do pulley's at same time, but what other major components should I be looking at? I recently ordered a new crank case vent hose, MAP sensor and Vargas ungraded PCV valve, but am wondering if there are other weak links I might consider upgrading or replacing at this point.

My goal is to maintain this car for a long time, thus the reason I have chosen to not tune my car above stage 1. I feel at this point the car is at its sweat spot and most of what I have done has been to get better throttle response off the line.

Some of the things I am considering are the Turbo inlets since the plastic tubes make me nervous. Would Silicone turbo outlets offer any peace of mind? or are the plastic ones good for anther 100k? I want to look at my vacuum system as well and am about to start looking at engine and suspension mounts.

I'm sure I am not alone in that I love this car and am hoping to keep it for a long time. I want to head off any potential issues before they occur and am not unwilling to spend money now in order to save the headaches later. I am also planning a trip later this summer and would love to take the car and not be worried about breaking down, not that I do now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quart View Post

[IMG]http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/c...psdolry7vq.jpg[/IMG]
You, me, and our approach to our cars is identical. I hope to learn from the answers you get. Meanwhile, a question for you: Whose oil catch can are you using? I bought the ECS Tuning unit through Turner. Ever since my car emits crankcase fumes that are somewhere between annoying and toxic. Turner blames my mechanic, while the web is full of similar stories. What has been your experience? Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2017, 03:38 PM   #6
BimmerAg
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

At 63k you're in the range of water pump failure. I'd add that to the list of items to replace and do the thermostat at the same time
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2017, 08:10 PM   #7
PA135i
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i 08 CR-V

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerAg View Post
At 63k you're in the range of water pump failure. I'd add that to the list of items to replace and do the thermostat at the same time
Yup. Mine went at 72K.
Sparkling Graphite Metallic / 6MT / Terracotta Boston Leather / Sport Package / Comfort Access system / Gray Poplar wood trim / Heated front seats / iPod and USB adapter / HD radio / Premium hi-fi system / OE Tuning / VRSF Intercooler & charge pipe / BMW Performance short shift kit / BMW M Performance Handbrake Handle / BMW Stainless steel pedals / V1 hardwired / rear sun shades Pennsylvania 20 electoral votes
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2017, 09:10 PM   #8
xQx
General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i (E88 N54 6AT)

Check and replace any coolant hoses that are perishing.
Replace your Water Pump and Thermostat.
If you've got an auto trans, have the ATF replaced (this is not on the BMW service schedule, but ZF recommends it).
Make your own decision about the low and high pressure fuel pumps.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2017, 03:09 PM   #9
DTM135i
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Take a look at the upgraded diverter valve from ECS. I just had mine replaced. Can't really comment on any difference in performance since I am still working out other issues with the car. If anyone plans on doing it, it would also be a good time to replace the water pump as you have to remove it to get to the divert valve.
Appreciate 0