BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-02-2021, 12:36 PM   #1
Reppunkamui
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

CSF radiator and Silicoe inlets problem

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Installed the radiator in my car, noticed weird sounds from the engine bay at low revs/idle. Just realised that the pulley has been rubbing and cutting into silicone inlets presumably due to the additional depth of the radiator (did not have this issue prior).

Temporarily, I zip tied part of the inlet to the radiator fan, which seems to reduce the depth of the contact but it is still there...

Does anyone have a solution that works? Photos/explanation would be helpful. I think I need to somehow squeeze the inlet flatter against the fan (I can get the clearance when I push and lift with my hand), but not sure how to go about it.

Thank for your help.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2021, 01:38 PM   #2
ErvGotti
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i 6MT

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.00]
Which brand inlets? If VRSF there's nothing much you can do, besides what you've done by securing with zip tie. Those inlets are just to wide for the 135i. RB inlets on the other hand are flatter where needed, especially by the pulleys. I have the VRSF and regret not going RB as I have rubbing issues as well. I've secured with tip ties, and installed stiffer engine mounts, which has helped minimize the rubbing.
Appreciate 1
      04-07-2021, 12:45 AM   #3
Reppunkamui
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks ErvGotti.

Thought I would update this thread in case anyone stumbles upon it. I found a solution of sorts. There is not enough space in the engine bay, so more space had to be created. I used a dremel to hollow out more space for the hose from the radiator fan structure. Since there didn't seem to be a good place to put a bracket to hold the hose in the part-cavity, I used multiple zipties to hold it there...

It seems to be fine, but doing any work in the engine bay that requires removing the radiator fan will be a pain from here on...

Last edited by Reppunkamui; 04-07-2021 at 12:57 AM..
Appreciate 1
ErvGotti123.50
      09-06-2022, 09:17 PM   #4
wolfe
Captain
Rep
Drives: e82 / e70 / r56 / r60

Know this thread is over a year old... if youre still on here, Is your car manual or auto transmission? (Anyone know if there's more clearance with one vs the other?)
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2022, 10:49 AM   #5
Reppunkamui
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfe View Post
Know this thread is over a year old... if youre still on here, Is your car manual or auto transmission? (Anyone know if there's more clearance with one vs the other?)
Auto. I don't believe it will matter based on the mounting points and the location of the additional coolant hoses for auto. I suspect it will be a problem for everyone since both the aftermarket inlets and radiator are trying to use the same clearance space.
Appreciate 0