BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

View Poll Results: Color Temp of HIDs
4000k 9 15.25%
6000k 36 61.02%
8000k 14 23.73%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

01-09-2011, 07:39 PM   #89
AW128i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82 N51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satalite View Post
The CCFL will only use 4 bulbs behind the ring as compared to the LED which has lots of individual bulbs to seem it together. I would assume that CCFL would create a blob because of that.
The CCFLs are "light tubes" so the entire thing lights up evenly and there aren't any bulbs.

Quote:
The blue tint is an easy fix by lowering the temp of the color. I do see your point on the individual LED's... Getting a perfect OEM type light is a problem faced by all 3rd party manufacturers of halos. It can be close to OEM but never will be OEM, which is why you pay less... ($700 compared to $3600).
I'm not talking about the Kelvin rating of the LEDs installed in Sam's lights. What I'm referring to is the blue color of the plastic that the Depo AEs are made out of. In every picture, including retailer's websites, they have a blue tint to them. Also, people who actually own them have confirmed that they appear blue in-person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenkirby21 View Post
i kinda like the individual LED design, but it somewhat looks like an audi i guess hehe
And that's the crux of me being torn. The many individual LEDs are not something that BMW implements on their cars so I'm concerned that, in-person, the individual LEDs will be noticeable up close and the lights will look like they're something from the aftermarket. When I mod my cars, I try to adhere as closely as possible to the OE pieces. If I had a Civic, you'd never catch me with lights like we're talking about here because no Civic comes with lights like these. I guess it's just my OCD taking over, as usual
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2011, 08:38 PM   #90
Greenkirby21
Vrooom :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Stringray

Quote:
Originally Posted by AW128i View Post

And that's the crux of me being torn. The many individual LEDs are not something that BMW implements on their cars so I'm concerned that, in-person, the individual LEDs will be noticeable up close and the lights will look like they're something from the aftermarket. When I mod my cars, I try to adhere as closely as possible to the OE pieces. If I had a Civic, you'd never catch me with lights like we're talking about here because no Civic comes with lights like these. I guess it's just my OCD taking over, as usual
hehe nah thats cool i understand. Before I got my 128i I had a Vw rabbit and the depo lights for those also had angel eyes, and I thought they were extremely poser and BMW wanna be. I therefore decided to not mod and save up for a better car
      01-09-2011, 08:43 PM   #91
AW128i
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenkirby21 View Post
hehe nah thats cool i understand. Before I got my 128i I had a Vw rabbit and the depo lights for those also had angel eyes, and I thought they were extremely poser and BMW wanna be. I therefore decided to not mod and save up for a better car
And before my 128i I had a Jetta TDI modded to the 9s with OE mods. The 1er is my first car that didn't come with OE HIDs that I'm not going to retrofit OE HIDs into! I just can't justify the cost of adding the OE lights, especially since I refuse to do them without adding all the correct systems like the auto-leveling. The Depos from Sam are my only hope!!

Looking forward very much to Sam's daytime pics
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2011, 03:19 PM   #92
Satalite
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 128i  [10.00]
*Bump

Any update yet?
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2011, 04:42 PM   #93
Sarracino89
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 128i Black on Black

Garage List
2011 128i  [0.00]
Hey guys, more updates tomorrow. It was a busy weekend and I started school this week, tomorrow I have off so I will get you guys updated.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2011, 04:44 PM   #94
Knob
30FF
Germany
Rep
Drives: E92 335i N54

Great, can´t wait
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2011, 03:37 PM   #95
sambulat
Minimum Modification Required
Rep

sarracino,

is your depo pre-installed with HID or it is a separate HID set?

how about the angel eye led light/bulb - what brand do you have?
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2011, 04:18 PM   #96
Sarracino89
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2011 128i  [0.00]
It is a separate HID set, and the Angel Eyes are a custom LED ring, which is what this group buy interest is all about. I am going out now to take the pictures in direct sunlight. As for a price, it is being worked out as week speak (i.e. I just sent them the pricing we have for the headlights, so I am just finding out for the hids and angel eye rings. and should be able to hopefully let you guys know tonight.)
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2011, 04:26 PM   #97
AW128i
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarracino89 View Post
It is a separate HID set, and the Angel Eyes are a custom LED ring, which is what this group buy interest is all about. I am going out now to take the pictures in direct sunlight. As for a price, it is being worked out as week speak (i.e. I just sent them the pricing we have for the headlights, so I am just finding out for the hids and angel eye rings. and should be able to hopefully let you guys know tonight.)
for pics and pricing details!
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2011, 04:52 PM   #98
Sarracino89
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2011 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
for pics and pricing details!
PICS TAKE FORE....EV....ER to upload LOL
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2011, 04:59 PM   #99
Sarracino89
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2011 128i  [0.00]
Direct Sunlight Photos

I did no editing whatsoever to these photos, and for some reason the HIDs and Fogs are coming out really blue, so I apologize for that, must be the setting on the camera, and I don't really know how to adjust them.

Daytime lights:

Parking Lights:

HIDs & Angel Eyes'

HiDs, Fogs, & Angel Eyes'

Like I said, alot of the pictures throw a lot of blue in the mix cuz I would never throw a blue like that in the Fog housing

hopefully I can get better clearer pictures at this weeks 626 meet.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2011, 05:08 PM   #100
bballgms
Private
Rep

in real life do you see the individual leds of the angel eyes or does it appear continous? hopefully ill be able to come to the 626 meet to see them in person besides that pretty nice, now waiting on a price.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2011, 05:27 PM   #101
Satalite
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 128i  [10.00]
So how does the kit work with the "Automatic" setting that BMW has for their lights? Also which photo is the daytime running lights?

As far as pictures go do you see the individual lights like you have it? Or has the camera just picked up on the refresh rate of the LEDs to single them out?
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2011, 06:43 PM   #102
Sarracino89
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2011 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bballgms View Post
in real life do you see the individual leds of the angel eyes or does it appear continous? hopefully ill be able to come to the 626 meet to see them in person besides that pretty nice, now waiting on a price.
Quote:
So how does the kit work with the "Automatic" setting that BMW has for their lights? Also which photo is the daytime running lights?

As far as pictures go do you see the individual lights like you have it? Or has the camera just picked up on the refresh rate of the LEDs to single them out?

Up close, you can see the individual LEDs, but they don't look as singled out (you can't see the gaps between them).
Hope to see you there bballgms. The automatic light setting turns on the either the DRLs or the HIDs with AEs depending on the amount of light outside, so either a low setting of the high beam (1st picture) or the HIDs w/ the AEs. the first is of the DRLs. I am trying to find out with the shop if we can switch the AEs to the DRLs, but I believe that its not possible without another kit, because the stock halogen lights aren't set up to run them like that. I will find out for sure though, and if it is possible, then we will incorporate that, if not, it doesn't really bother me, if I want them lit up during the day, I just switch over to the last position which turns on the HIDs w/ AEs no matter how light or dark it is outside. Let me know if there are any other questions to be answered. Hope everyone is making it over Wednesday hump day.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2011, 09:14 PM   #103
AW128i
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarracino89 View Post
Up close, you can see the individual LEDs, but they don't look as singled out (you can't see the gaps between them).
Hope to see you there bballgms. The automatic light setting turns on the either the DRLs or the HIDs with AEs depending on the amount of light outside, so either a low setting of the high beam (1st picture) or the HIDs w/ the AEs. the first is of the DRLs. I am trying to find out with the shop if we can switch the AEs to the DRLs, but I believe that its not possible without another kit, because the stock halogen lights aren't set up to run them like that. I will find out for sure though, and if it is possible, then we will incorporate that, if not, it doesn't really bother me, if I want them lit up during the day, I just switch over to the last position which turns on the HIDs w/ AEs no matter how light or dark it is outside. Let me know if there are any other questions to be answered. Hope everyone is making it over Wednesday hump day.
We might be able to do a makeshift workaround to get the AEs to function as DRLs. Stop me if what I'm saying doesn't make sense...

Aftermarket AEs are popular among the E46 crowd. One method they hook the AEs up is from the ECU so that they're always on. You unlock the car, the AEs come on and they stay on until you turn the ignition off and lock the car. This has me thinking that, through the use of a relay, we may be able to artificially create DRLs with the AEs, it just takes a little of outside the box thinking. Here's where I'm going with this.

And forgive me if I'm going about this all wrong because one thing I am not is an electrical engineer, though if I was able to draw this out for you guys, I could probably explain it better. Basically, we want two positive connections on the relay so I think we would use a single pole double throw relay. Basically, the ECU "always on" connection is affixed to the "normal" side of the relay. This means that whenever the ECU "always on" wire has a current going through it, the relay is pulling +12v directly from the battery. When the relay coil is energized from a trigger wire (via a tap on one of the headlight wires or similar), the current would flow not from the battery-direct connection, but rather through the normal headlight wiring. This basically gives you two power scenarios for the AEs; one-parking lights off, two-parking lights on. This should also give you two light output levels for the AEs because I believe when they are connected through the headlight wiring (as they would be if no modifications were made) they aren't receiving the full +12v but rather a reduced voltage.

My logic and/or thinking could be way off here, but I'm trying to figure out a way for us to use the AEs as both DRLs and parking lights, as they are on the OE xenon headlights.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2011, 09:32 PM   #104
Sarracino89
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2011 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
We might be able to do a makeshift workaround to get the AEs to function as DRLs. Stop me if what I'm saying doesn't make sense...

Aftermarket AEs are popular among the E46 crowd. One method they hook the AEs up is from the ECU so that they're always on. You unlock the car, the AEs come on and they stay on until you turn the ignition off and lock the car. This has me thinking that, through the use of a relay, we may be able to artificially create DRLs with the AEs, it just takes a little of outside the box thinking. Here's where I'm going with this.

And forgive me if I'm going about this all wrong because one thing I am not is an electrical engineer, though if I was able to draw this out for you guys, I could probably explain it better. Basically, we want two positive connections on the relay so I think we would use a single pole double throw relay. Basically, the ECU "always on" connection is affixed to the "normal" side of the relay. This means that whenever the ECU "always on" wire has a current going through it, the relay is pulling +12v directly from the battery. When the relay coil is energized from a trigger wire (via a tap on one of the headlight wires or similar), the current would flow not from the battery-direct connection, but rather through the normal headlight wiring. This basically gives you two power scenarios for the AEs; one-parking lights off, two-parking lights on. This should also give you two light output levels for the AEs because I believe when they are connected through the headlight wiring (as they would be if no modifications were made) they aren't receiving the full +12v but rather a reduced voltage.

My logic and/or thinking could be way off here, but I'm trying to figure out a way for us to use the AEs as both DRLs and parking lights, as they are on the OE xenon headlights.
Sorry, should have made it clear that we are going to try to make them as DRLs for the final kit, we just hadn't done this originally. They already come on when the car is unlocked, which is a plus. I will see if your work around is plausible on Friday.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2011, 09:45 PM   #105
AW128i
Major
United_States
Rep

They probably come on when the car is unlocked because they are hooked to the parking light wire(s) in the headlight. If that's the case, and you have Welcome Lights turned on in the BC, the AEs would come on. Also, I'm guessing they probably shut off immediately after you hit the start/stop button unless it's dark out? It would be a good thing if the AEs are wired in place of the small city light that is found in the high beam reflector on the OE halogen lights. If that's the case, then disabling the front side marker lights (in Europe, the turn signal lights are only used as turn signals and not also as running lights as they are in U.S. cars) via vehicle coding wouldn't be an issue. Which would be a good thing since I plan on doing so if I get these lights.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2011, 10:12 PM   #106
Greenkirby21
Vrooom :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Stringray

agreed, it would be awesome. LED angel eyes as daytime lights, and LED angel eyes + HID for night time driving.
      01-13-2011, 01:42 AM   #107
Sarracino89
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2011 128i  [0.00]
Pricing is going to be about $820 for the complete conversion

Any questions, Feel free to pm me or post them here.

Removed full information as I will be creating a commercial sale thread very soon for these and didn't want to violate any forum rules by posting the listing here.

Last edited by Sarracino89; 01-13-2011 at 03:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2011, 01:55 AM   #108
Satalite
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 128i  [10.00]
When are we going to start purchasing/how will it work?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2011, 02:11 AM   #109
Sarracino89
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2011 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
When are we going to start purchasing/how will it work?
Purchases will start as soon the paypal account is created(Monday the latest: I am pretty busy this week), but if anyone plans on purchasing, let me know exactly what you guys want for your kit so that we can get things going. We opted to allow each individual to customize their own kit (i.e. you choose HIDs color of LEDs, full conversion etc.) so it will take a little longer than if we had actually had them stocked and ready to go now.

Any other questions let me know
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2011, 02:13 AM   #110
Satalite
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 128i  [10.00]
Okay awesome! How long will it take install then ship out to us? Oh is it flat rate shipping or UPS?

I will plan on buying once you set up a paypal.

Full Conversion (6k/White)

Im thinking those go better than (plasma/8k?) Will we have a instruction for bumper removal install?
Appreciate 0