06-09-2011, 09:38 AM   #45
DiavelM3
4 Star General -Twilight Zone
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46e92love View Post
"Does it feel like an ///M engine......not really". 'Nuff said.

I don't care if its faster in real life, ///M was always so much more than just speed on the street, its about feel, sound, emotion.

Don't get me wrong, GREAT CAR, just not happy about the new direction ///M is taking with their souls.....

Cheers,
e46e92
I actually like the direction that BMW and ///M are taking with this new 1M.
I think it is just the "beginning" of great things to come and expect from the ///M division. Makes me look forward to the E92 M3 replacement...

I think there are ALOT of people on this forum that are sensitive about the cars they own or plan on owning... This is where the confusion and mess is. If we get down to it, the 1M and the M3 have the same DNA... To me, that is "Nuff said."
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2011, 09:41 AM   #46
BMWPower06
A^M=G is nothing w/o the Power of ///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M5 & ///M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SerieStud View Post
Hahahaha The cf roof is only 12 lbs lighter than the regular one...do you have any idea as to how irrelevant this is in terms of center of gravity?!? you are a fine a example of someone repeating what he hears, without knowing much on the subject.

Ps: I can afford an m3, and I am buying a 1m.
you clearly seem to think you do...Removing even a couple pounds from the TOP of a car is significant in lower it's center of gravity.

Next you're gonna tell me that lowering unsprung mass is irrelevant too
      06-09-2011, 09:43 AM   #47
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

You guys are all really funny. So many butt hurt people.

M3 owners and 1M owners.

The 1M is a good car. A great M car. Deal with it.

The M3 is also a great car. Deal with it.

If you want to be an argumentative bench racer go onto autoblog

Appreciate 0
      06-09-2011, 09:45 AM   #48
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWPower06 View Post
you clearly seem to think you do...Removing even a couple pounds from the TOP of a car is significant in lower it's center of gravity.

That's why I drive a vert. None of that pesky weight up at the top of the car.

Appreciate 0
      06-09-2011, 09:49 AM   #49
cc3
Major
Rep
Drives: 1M, GT4, M2 M140i G40

agree and even if some people don't like it the future of performance cars is likely to be smaller cc and turbos. So in some respect a twin turbo 6 is the future. Indeed maybe even 4 cy in the future. V8's whilst fantastic just won't hack it with oil on the up and up. Already some are talking about £2 a litre in the UK within a year. So some will switch from 20 mpg and high road tax M3 to something than can still afford to run. Maybe 1M. Seeing 27 mpg from mine already which is amazing given performance and in the UK road tax is still reasonable.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2011, 09:51 AM   #50
superchargedman
Captain
Rep
Drives: The ///Mbulance: 1M AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-sauerkraut View Post
I watched it, and he had no real opinion either way.

Maybe once you've owned one, you will lose that honda mentality. Maybe LOL
if honda mentality is gathering the opinions of respected journalists and waiting to actually experience how a car drives, i certainly hope not.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2011, 10:18 AM   #51
James T. Kirk
Captain of the Enterprise
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1 Series M Coupe

Quote:
I wonder if the next M3 will also "not really" feel like an ///M engine.
The 1M may be prophetic of what's to come.

I wish Chris had put in his favorite one "to take home" regardless of price.

2011 1 Series M Coupe VO M3 vs 1M Comparo Review
2011 M3 E90 DCT ZCP (sold) * 2010 335i Sedan (sold)
2005 M3 Convertible (sold) * 2003 325i Sedan (sold)
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2011, 11:30 AM   #52
TunedM2C
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 LBB M2

The next M3 might be a N55 with bigger snails. Is that going to be considered a real M engine?
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2011, 11:41 AM   #53
Papethova
Banned
Rep
Drives: '08 135/ '11 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuned1 View Post
The next M3 might be a N55 with bigger snails. Is that going to be considered a real M engine?
No thats a real M engine, but its a parts bin car so not a real M car
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2011, 12:17 PM   #54
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 VO 1M (498 of 740)

all right genius, if that's the case then many people must be greatly offsetting the center of gravity by wearing helmets at the track hahaha.

I'm going to say it again: 12 lbs. are irrelevant in terms of how the m3 performs at the track.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWPower06 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SerieStud View Post
Hahahaha The cf roof is only 12 lbs lighter than the regular one...do you have any idea as to how irrelevant this is in terms of center of gravity?!? you are a fine a example of someone repeating what he hears, without knowing much on the subject.

Ps: I can afford an m3, and I am buying a 1m.

Appreciate 0
      06-09-2011, 06:57 PM   #55
grimlock
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F10 N52B30@255PS

IF you read between the lines, the reviewer is coming at it from an angle of 'How not-bad is the 1M', as if the superiority of the Cayman R is established fact.
Its not a bad first M-car, but there is definite class distinction with the M3.
The shorter wheelbase is something to write home about, the engine is an experiment.
Its different from the M3 for sure, fits the name '1M'.
What's different with this 1M than a hypothetical 135i's'?
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2011, 07:34 PM   #56
superchargedman
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimlock View Post
IF you read between the lines, the reviewer is coming at it from an angle of 'How not-bad is the 1M', as if the superiority of the Cayman R is established fact.
Its not a bad first M-car, but there is definite class distinction with the M3.
The shorter wheelbase is something to write home about, the engine is an experiment.
Its different from the M3 for sure, fits the name '1M'.
What's different with this 1M than a hypothetical 135i's'?
my god, go back to threads that were started way back when this car was still wearing full camo. it's almost as if every single knock against the 1m in this thread is a direct effort to ignore everything that many other auto journalists and chris have said.

where are these comments coming from? people who have driven this car? or perhaps just people judging from an armchair...or a 3 or 5 series with the smallest, least powerful engine possible.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2011, 07:56 PM   #57
grimlock
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by superchargedman View Post
my god, go back to threads that were started way back when this car was still wearing full camo. it's almost as if every single knock against the 1m in this thread is a direct effort to ignore everything that many other auto journalists and chris have said.

where are these comments coming from? people who have driven this car? or perhaps just people judging from an armchair...or a 3 or 5 series with the smallest, least powerful engine possible.
My engine is the same size as your new 1M's, minus the turbos. It drives quite well, thank you. It's NA, so it doesn't have turbo lag etc. ..
Why am I not allowed to comment? The Cayman R really appeals to me, so naturally I'm interested.
If the 1M were really so great, no one could knock if they tried.
Sorry, as a Cayman fan, I'll keep it down, in deference to it being a 1M thread.

P.S. the reviewer is so good with speaking between the lines, he should be a politician. He delivers two messages to two different audiences, and can still keep his job.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2011, 08:49 PM   #58
Tank
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG/997.2 GT3 RS

I've got both on order (1M should be in my hands by month end, Cayman R by August). Think these 2 are the hottest compact performance cars this year and you really can't lose either way.

Being based in Hong Kong as well, I also know many people who can afford both at the same time but choose one way or another. Many own or have owned an M3 (me included) but don't feel the need to belittle one or the other to justify the purchase. I choose to take the view we're all car enthusiasts and should be glad our favorite car companies are still creating gems like these amid their more normal offerings.

P.S. Have a friend who's moving from a manual Cayman S to the 1M cause it harkens back to the old school E30. Alot of my friends are enthusiastic about the 1M and they are Porsche Turbo/GT3/RS owners. I personally sold my 997 GT3 and will replace it with a Cayman R (PDK) because I wanted something more suitable for day-to-day driving. GT3 was phenomenal, but with only 10 track days a year out of 365 days, it made more sense for me to get a car that replicates the feel somewhat yet is a whole lot more driveable on a daily basis in a small city like Hong Kong.

In short, the reason we are in these forums and debating is because we are all enthusiasts at heart. No need to demean one car or another. Different strokes for different folks as they say.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2011, 09:49 PM   #59
superchargedman
Captain
Rep

well said. it's not an either/or. the reason why there's controversy over the 1m/m3/cayman is because they're all great at what they do. i'd love the cayman if there were no winter here and potholes didn't riddle the streets. i'd love an m3 if i were looking for a bigger car.

it's far too narrow-minded to make these arguments about how any of these cars are not great simply because of one factor. they are what they are. the m3 is big. the cayman isn't as quick. but, who cares? they're all greats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank View Post
I've got both on order (1M should be in my hands by month end, Cayman R by August). Think these 2 are the hottest compact performance cars this year and you really can't lose either way.

Being based in Hong Kong as well, I also know many people who can afford both at the same time but choose one way or another. Many own or have owned an M3 (me included) but don't feel the need to belittle one or the other to justify the purchase. I choose to take the view we're all car enthusiasts and should be glad our favorite car companies are still creating gems like these amid their more normal offerings.

P.S. Have a friend who's moving from a manual Cayman S to the 1M cause it harkens back to the old school E30. Alot of my friends are enthusiastic about the 1M and they are Porsche Turbo/GT3/RS owners. I personally sold my 997 GT3 and will replace it with a Cayman R (PDK) because I wanted something more suitable for day-to-day driving. GT3 was phenomenal, but with only 10 track days a year out of 365 days, it made more sense for me to get a car that replicates the feel somewhat yet is a whole lot more driveable on a daily basis in a small city like Hong Kong.

In short, the reason we are in these forums and debating is because we are all enthusiasts at heart. No need to demean one car or another. Different strokes for different folks as they say.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2011, 11:50 PM   #60
grimlock
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank View Post
+1
A great way to avoid having this debate.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2011, 04:36 AM   #61
hajohehe
Private
Rep
Drives:

too many trolls
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2011, 07:16 AM   #62
CaptSlow
Private
Rep
Drives: One of a few

Quote:

I don't care if its faster in real life, ///M was always so much more than just speed on the street, its about feel, sound, emotion.

Don't get me wrong, GREAT CAR, just not happy about the new direction ///M is taking with their souls.....

Cheers,
e46e92
M1 has an M3 chassis..."///M is all about the chasis," watch the video and listen to what Chris Harris comments.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2011, 07:20 AM   #63
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Quote:

Cheers,
e46e92
Yup...it all started to go downhill when BMW put automatic gearboxes in M cars.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2011, 05:33 PM   #64
evilstib
Bimmer Newbie
Canada
Rep
Drives: CSM N54 Prem/Comf/Sound

All I can say is....LOL
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrari4evr1 View Post
Hold on there. You have to remember that this 1M is the "new" direction BMW and ///M want to go with their ///M cars. Back to their old roots.
The other thing is that the next gen M3 will be even more powerful then the current version. I own a E46 and i look at it like we are ALL family. Not, one sibling better than the other. ///M will always be making a better car than previous Gen's. Thats the way it is and will always be...
i think the x6m is a bit of a bastard child in this family.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2011, 07:35 PM   #65
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

I watched it, and he had no real opinion either way.

Quote:
if honda mentality is gathering the opinions of respected journalists and waiting to actually experience how a car drives, i certainly hope not.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2011, 07:39 PM   #66
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

As much as I love Chis Harris, you simply nail-it for some reason.
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimlock View Post
..."The reviewer is so good with speaking between the lines, he should be a politician. He delivers two messages to two different audiences..."
Appreciate 0