BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-20-2011, 09:14 PM   #1
Hokie135Hi
Black Magic
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [6.06]
Installed LUX V3 Angel Eyes! Pics inside

Was able to purchase the last set of LUX H8 angel eyes that e92-lighting had in stock last week. Received the package today (fast shipping) and took the time to put them in.

I was impressed by the quality, even though it didn't come with any paperwork of any sort. Pretty straight-forward I suppose. The install took me about 35 minutes, most of that was learning how the damn cover comes off the headlight. Thanks to this forum and it's many posts on the subject saved me however. But no amount of words can save anyone from the passenger side's razor blades and concentrated hate. I imagine this would be my hell, that I would be forced to install H8 bulbs on E82's for the rest of my life.

Any, WELL worth it and glad i went with the LUX brand. Brighter than I imagined, and most likely the best alternative to Alpine HID's. BTW, LED's are harder to install than most stand alone bulbs because of the LED box that sits in the covers. You have to position it so it doesn't come out while your putting the cover back on. Anyway, enjoy the pics.

Appreciate 0
      06-20-2011, 09:54 PM   #2
Focusedintntions
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M-Sport :D

Very nice!
      06-20-2011, 11:05 PM   #3
AUe87
Australia
Rep
Drives: 130i

Thumbs up

Nice and Bright! LUX is still the brightest and whitest LED plug and play solution.

If only LUX H8 V3 can have the following improvements to make it more like the latest OEM LED set up on newer BMW cars...

1. Two levels of intensity, DRL high brightness and side light low brightness.

2. Even brightness between the inner and outer circles.

Many people don't care about the dual intensity set up, but my personal preference is to maintain all OEM functionalities.

With the uneven brightness issue, although the design of the headlight itself can be blamed, the outer ring brightness can be improved greatly by having an additional light source next to and aimed directly at the outer ring light tubes opening.

Marc in case you are reading this, you make a great product and I am not criticizing, it is just a wish list in case you are working on a V4...
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2011, 11:19 PM   #4
M3Newbie88
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Very nice.. I went with the Alpine setup because some have said in day light it still isn't bright enough however your pics look pretty good.. both options are good but yes as stated above those types of improvements would be the next steps.. the inner and outter ring are always different intensity which results in different colors.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2011, 07:41 AM   #5
LuxAngelEyes
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUe87 View Post
Nice and Bright! LUX is still the brightest and whitest LED plug and play solution.

If only LUX H8 V3 can have the following improvements to make it more like the latest OEM LED set up on newer BMW cars...

Many people don't care about the dual intensity set up, but my personal preference is to maintain all OEM functionalities.

With the uneven brightness issue, although the design of the headlight itself can be blamed, the outer ring brightness can be improved greatly by having an additional light source next to and aimed directly at the outer ring light tubes opening.

Marc in case you are reading this, you make a great product and I am not criticizing, it is just a wish list in case you are working on a V4...
OP - Awesome pics and glad your happy!!!!

AUe87 - 99.9% of people prefer the same brightenss all the time, and it would actually be a bit difficult to make them dim correctly. As for ring evenness, that id just due to the design of the headlights. I've spend many hours trying to get the rings to look the same but its just not possible unfortunately.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2011, 08:22 AM   #6
Hokie135Hi
Black Magic
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [6.06]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUe87 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuxAngelEyes View Post
OP - Awesome pics and glad your happy!!!!

AUe87 - 99.9% of people prefer the same brightenss all the time, and it would actually be a bit difficult to make them dim correctly. As for ring evenness, that id just due to the design of the headlights. I've spend many hours trying to get the rings to look the same but its just not possible unfortunately.
I think we must take into consideration the way the original light already is. While I'm sure it can be improved, why else would BMW just stick a plain H8 bulb in that socket? The stock light also exhibits the same behavior with a brighter inside ring than outer by design. The only way I've seen in ALL the designs to get the outer ring brighter, is to make the light itself brighter. In this case, it can make the inner ring almost too bright, and dull out your xenons that are supposed to be your headlights. (Excluding DEPO or any other full headlight rework)

If our angels were designed similar to the X5 or 750's, we wouldn't even be buying these things, but I'm guessing the it was on purpose that we have the halogen angels. I've obsessed over which brand/type to choose for the past couple of weeks since I've GOT the car, because I couldn't stand the halogens, but this ended up being what I wanted. Trust me, I would have sent them back if I wasn't happy with the result.

I think the only way we are going to get TRUE even angel eyes, is to go for the option of sending in our stockies, and getting them redesigned to distribute light evenly across both lenses. I'd be interested in the future in something like that, but obviously I'd rather spend $500 on a JB4 or suspension upgrade than headlights.

Anyway, anyone else like/dislike the look?
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2011, 08:34 AM   #7
dcho
Captain
Rep
Drives: SGM 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokie135Hi View Post
I think we must take into consideration the way the original light already is. While I'm sure it can be improved, why else would BMW just stick a plain H8 bulb in that socket? The stock light also exhibits the same behavior with a brighter inside ring than outer by design. The only way I've seen in ALL the designs to get the outer ring brighter, is to make the light itself brighter. In this case, it can make the inner ring almost too bright, and dull out your xenons that are supposed to be your headlights. (Excluding DEPO or any other full headlight rework)

If our angels were designed similar to the X5 or 750's, we wouldn't even be buying these things, but I'm guessing the it was on purpose that we have the halogen angels. I've obsessed over which brand/type to choose for the past couple of weeks since I've GOT the car, because I couldn't stand the halogens, but this ended up being what I wanted. Trust me, I would have sent them back if I wasn't happy with the result.

I think the only way we are going to get TRUE even angel eyes, is to go for the option of sending in our stockies, and getting them redesigned to distribute light evenly across both lenses. I'd be interested in the future in something like that, but obviously I'd rather spend $500 on a JB4 or suspension upgrade than headlights.

Anyway, anyone else like/dislike the look?
i like the look of the stock halos because i havent seen any solution that surpasses their brightness but man, my buddy has an e92 with the lux bulbs and they were enough to make me change my mind.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2011, 09:44 AM   #8
Riley1524
Captain
Rep
Drives: A Slow Ass BMW

I've tried almost all the AE solutions available and the LUX is by far the best right now. I haven't tried the HID's because a couple of friends have them and they are WAY too bright (inner ring) and kinda look tacky. I'm not about to pay $500+ to have my headlights reworked, though this would be the perfect solution.
      06-21-2011, 11:34 AM   #9
Hokie135Hi
Black Magic
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [6.06]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcho View Post
i like the look of the stock halos because i havent seen any solution that surpasses their brightness but man, my buddy has an e92 with the lux bulbs and they were enough to make me change my mind.
That's another thing as well. I believe based off the pictures more than research that the H8's react differently to each car's headlight halos. In some cases, I see the LUX looking completely different in an e92 than an e82. I'm not sure if it's just my imagination.

Maybe LUX or another developer can chime in on similarities/differences between the cars.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2011, 12:47 PM   #10
LuxAngelEyes
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokie135Hi View Post
That's another thing as well. I believe based off the pictures more than research that the H8's react differently to each car's headlight halos. In some cases, I see the LUX looking completely different in an e92 than an e82. I'm not sure if it's just my imagination.

Maybe LUX or another developer can chime in on similarities/differences between the cars.
The 3-series and 1-series headlights are completely different, and that is why they look different . the angel eye reflector in the 1-series does not allow much light into the outer rings no matter what you do. So i've designed the LUX lights to allow as much light as possible into the outer ring, but there is only so much that can be done.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2011, 09:55 PM   #11
AJN54135i
sksksk
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i

Looks great for leds
Appreciate 0