BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-26-2011, 01:39 AM   #199
JB4-335
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 BSM & E70 AW

Nice to see the slips Justin. Those traps are amazing. I may come out to WSID on those dates.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2011, 02:35 AM   #200
adrian@vishnu
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i

Finally!!

Have been sitting on those results a couple of days waiting for Justin to put them up... I wasn't aware of the last run at 123MPH which is awesome and better than my WRX, so I am going to come down with it next time!!

The car is a beast. Justin and I were out doing some road tuning last week in preparation for this outing, and we were struggling. In 2nd gear even rolling onto the throttle slowly to prevent spin, it will spin as soon as you get past about 10psi. The only way to do our testing was at higher speeds in higher gears which can be risky. Even in 3rd the rear end is squirreling around at peak torque. Grip is a major issue with this car... but it is kind of fun just lighting them up at high speed!!

Well done Dale on the driving. Good job, and a 1.95 60 foot is a great effort with street tyres in a manual with this much power. With some drag tyres we will see a 1.6-1.7, and should see a mid 11 fairly easily which is right up with the USA cars.

Much thanks from myself to Advan who have done a great job with the car, and we have been working togeather to fine tune it and get it all working nicely. Peter is a gentleman and a great asset with his tuning knowledge. Dale must know where all the bits of a 135i go as well as anyone else in Oz.

Justin is really tireless in his passion to get this car to where it is. He has done countless hours of research on the mod options, and then persevered to get them working right... even if sometimes this has meant throwing something away to get the right option. He is not some cheque book racer, but has carefully understood and selected each mod and the end result is a credit to his choices. Well done mate!!

Adrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD75 View Post
Hey Gents,

here are the time slips from our first meet at WSID.

As you can see the ET's suffered as a result of the 60' times.

However as most of you will know, the trap speed is what indicates the true potential of the vehicle.

Whilst we are not finished by a long shot,

I would like to take the opportunity to thank all the guys involved in the ongoing "build".

Namely Peter and the boys at Advan Performance, once again for their superb workmanship and their exacting track preparation of the car.

Of course a big shout out to Adrian of Vishnu Tuning for both his expertise and his tireless enthusiasm, to ensure the N54 power plant performs to its potential.

Last but by no means least, kudos to Dale aka DMM, who was behind the wheel on the night.

He managed to pull off 3 consistent passes and ripped through the gears like a mad man.

FYI,

all 3 passes were on street tyres, on 19" wheels no less.

No race gas was used and we chose to err on the side of caution with regards the tune, given that it was its first "proper" outing at the Creek.

We will be returning on the 7th of September and if not then 14th, with considerably more fire power, in an effort to give you guys something to really talk about.

Cheers,

JD.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2011, 03:03 AM   #201
MrBlonde
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Audi TTRS, M Coupe, 1299

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlin View Post
Maybe not in Australia but Oldbooster ran an 11.154 a while ago in the States and that was on stock turbos. Now he has RBs so I cant imagine it will be long before he breaks that 11 second barrier. Having said that, he was on 16 inch rims with DRs plus race gas and nitrous as well as all your other "goodies" so its far from easy.
Larry's car is gutted too. Don't be fooled, the top dogs never reveal all their tricks to be number 1. His car is a long way away from all our cars.

Check out the 1Addicts Drag Racing Standings and Drag Racing 101.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2011, 03:08 AM   #202
Orlin
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlonde View Post
Larry's car is gutted too. Don't be fooled, the top dogs never reveal all their tricks to be number 1. His car is a long way away from all our cars.
I know it takes alot of work and probably some weight reduction to get to where he is. We are obviously a long way off the boys in the states as we have not even cracked into the 11s yet but in time we will get there.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2011, 03:15 AM   #203
Orlin
Major
Australia
Rep

123MPH is truly incredible and shows the cars true potential, nice work Advan, Adrian, Dale and Justin!
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2011, 03:17 AM   #204
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Quote:
you get a DDL when you pay for your entry to a drag strip. It's only good for that day. If you break 12.000 you need an SSL to keep racing and they cost $121
Thanks for explaining that Kenny. So is the SSL a once-off fee?

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian@vishnu View Post
That was my WRX we were talking about. 11.3 @ 123 now. Turbo is out getting tweaked and losing 50kg, and it should do 10.x. A couple weeks ago an EVO with drag slicks and full trim (street car) with stock internals engine (but dog box) did a 10.4 @ 131 with a 1.5 short time with just 320kW ATW. I reckon my car can do about 10.9 at 125 with the tweaks I am doing.
That's a beast you've got there Adrian!

Quote:
Hey Gents,

However as most of you will know, the trap speed is what indicates the true potential of the vehicle.

I would like to take the opportunity to thank all the guys involved in the ongoing "build".

Namely Peter and the boys at Advan Performance, once again for their superb workmanship and their exacting track preparation of the car.

Of course a big shout out to Adrian of Vishnu Tuning for both his expertise and his tireless enthusiasm, to ensure the N54 power plant performs to its potential.

Last but by no means least, kudos to Dale aka DMM, who was behind the wheel on the night.

He managed to pull off 3 consistent passes and ripped through the gears like a mad man.

FYI,

No race gas was used and we chose to err on the side of caution with regards the tune, given that it was its first "proper" outing at the Creek.

We will be returning on the 7th of September and if not then 14th, with considerably more fire power, in an effort to give you guys something to really talk about.

Cheers,

JD.
That's impressive Justin. Based on your traps you've got plenty of potential there and room for improvement in the ET's.

You've pushed me down from the #1 spot on the Australian Drag Racing Standings by 0.028 seconds!!!

Haha well done mate

Quote:
I know it takes alot of work and probably some weight reduction to get to where he is. We are obviously a long way off the boys in the states as we have not even cracked into the 11s yet but in time we will get there.
We will get there Matt. I spent a lot of today making progress on the meth kit when I probably should have been doing other things lol. I'll call you soon. Don't worry, we'll be hitting the 11's soon
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2011, 03:30 AM   #205
Orlin
Major
Australia
Rep

progress? I like the sound of that! if you find the source of the problem I owe you big time Vinney!
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2011, 08:03 PM   #206
MrBlonde
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Maybe not in Australia but Oldbooster ran an 11.154 a while ago in the States and that was on stock turbos. Now he has RBs so I cant imagine it will be long before he breaks that 11 second barrier. Having said that, he was on 16 inch rims with DRs plus race gas and nitrous as well as all your other "goodies" so its far from easy.
Matty I've spoken to Larry a few times, great guy. It's not so much the bolton performance enhancements, custom wheels with slicks or nitrous, or the automatic tranny .. the real barrier to being top dog in our cars is how far you are prepared to go in gutting the car to reduce weight.

Once you gut a street car they are a different animal. Not much fun to drive around, just good for the strip.

Appreciate 0
      08-26-2011, 08:04 PM   #207
MrBlonde
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian@vishnu View Post
A 10 will be done on N54 eventually, but we are way behind the guys in the states having not had an 11 over here yet. It is going to take a car setup to do it with drag radials, suspension to suit, big turbos, meth and some weight reductions and/or NOS. A few guys in the US are going this way, but not seeing it over here at the moment. Justin's car is closest in terms of power, so will do good MPH, but the other things are required to get the ET down.
Agreed. The quickest ET I've ver seen for a manual tranny 135 is Yandr's 11.7.

Appreciate 0
      08-26-2011, 08:09 PM   #208
MrBlonde
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBK View Post
Is it actually legal to drive our cars with the back seat out? Just wondering if it's worth doing it next time I go... I would think taking the front passenger seat out is definitely illegal?
Richard it is not legal if you modify your vehicle so the seating is different to your rego papers. For example, if your rego says 4 occupants, then you need 4 seats.

However you can have your registration altered via an engineer's report and it will be legal to have no rears seats. But then it would be illegal to put the rear seats back in.

Most people simply remove the seats on race day and then return the car to stock afterwards. you'd be unlucky to be pulled over on the way to the strip but it does happen. If you prepare a letter stating what you are up to and your intention to return the vehicle to stock on the next day (include date) and put that in a sealed envelope in your glovebox, you can demonstrate to any police officer what your intentions are. That might not help, but it might in the unlucky event of being pulled over on the way to or from the strip.

Appreciate 0
      08-26-2011, 08:10 PM   #209
MrBlonde
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW86 View Post
Thanks for explaining that Kenny. So is the SSL a once-off fee?
It's an annual fee to keep the licence.

Appreciate 0
      08-26-2011, 08:12 PM   #210
MrBlonde
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Hey Gents,

Great result Dale and Justin! Drag racing can be frustrating and definitely requires patience!

Good to see a low 12 after only a few trips to the drag strip. I can see an eleven second pass with some more perseverance.

Appreciate 0
      08-26-2011, 08:20 PM   #211
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Hey Gents,

FYI,

Cheers,

JD.
The more I look at these time slips something doesn't add up to me.

My 12.225@117mph pass has roughly the same 60ft short time but I cross the 1/8th faster than both these slips. Justins car is carrying more speed at this point though.

Michaels car is probably a better comparison because he has an LSD and he's getting a 1.8 short time and crossing the 1/8th much faster but carrying less speed too.

It seems Justins car is pulling really hard in the top end. I'm not sure if I put it down to being a manual or the driver shifting poorly or possibly spinning through 2nd but it does seem very unusual.

There is still plenty of potential but I'd like to know what went wrong. After looking at other slips on drag times it seems the most gain to be made is in the short time though. I'm looking forward to seeing more slips in the future as it seems like this car is good for at least a mid 11 with a good short time.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2011, 08:37 PM   #212
JB4-335
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

I think if I had the same setup as Justin (RB's and LSD) I wouldn't have left the track without a 11.xx time. Power is there just needs a stig at the wheel.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2011, 08:44 PM   #213
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB4135 View Post
I think if I had the same setup as Justin (RB's and LSD) I wouldn't have left the track without a 11.xx time. Power is there just needs a stig at the wheel.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2011, 08:52 PM   #214
JB4-335
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

I know you were thinking the same thing Vinney. You pulled a 12.2 ET with stock turbos and no LSD and no meth.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2011, 09:26 PM   #215
MrBlonde
Colonel
Australia
Rep

How many passes did it take for you to get that result Vinney? Justin's car has had probably 10 passes so far with three different drivers. Give it time.

As for the top end, Justin's car has RB turbos. So it's going to come on harder in the top end.

Appreciate 0
      08-26-2011, 09:46 PM   #216
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB4135 View Post
I know you were thinking the same thing Vinney. You pulled a 12.2 ET with stock turbos and no LSD and no meth.
Can't wait to hit the drags with meth on my side

Quote:
How many passes did it take for you to get that result Vinney? Justin's car has had probably 10 passes so far with three different drivers. Give it time.

As for the top end, Justin's car has RB turbos. So it's going to come on harder in the top end.
That 12.2 was my first pass of the night. I ran 12.2* at least 4 times that night. I also ran a 12.3* pass one time as well. My last pass of the night was my slowest which was a 12.4* seconds but I was trying something different with my launch and it didn't work out for me. So overall I was fairly consistent.

I was going to post my other 12.2* timeslips on dragtimes but thought I'd only post my best one. My slowest ET was one of the highest trap speeds though
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2011, 09:52 PM   #217
MrBlonde
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
That 12.2 was my first pass of the night. I ran 12.2* at least 4 times that night. I also ran a 12.3* pass one time as well. My last pass of the night was my slowest which was a 12.4* seconds but I was trying something different with my launch and it didn't work out for me. So overall I was fairly consistent.

I was going to post my other 12.2* timeslips on dragtimes but thought I'd only post my best one. My slowest ET was one of the highest trap speeds though
Your first pass of that night, sure. But how many passes in previous trips to the strip? My point being it takes practice with a specific setup to realise the potential of the car and of the driver in that car.

It's always hard when you get knocked off the top spot but remember the golden rule: there is always someone faster. Always.

Appreciate 0
      08-27-2011, 12:28 AM   #218
DMM
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: Ask my bank

Well after 4 passes im satisfied with the car in its current state, maybe i would of been happier with a lower 60ft, but 19's and street rubber just couldnt get it sticky enough.

Those with less power wont have as many issues getting out of the box. Less traction issues and less torque to break wheelspin. Hence lower 60ft, short time and lower MPH. Good half track acceleration up to speed, but not enought grunt to keep hauling and winding up the MPH.

Unfortunately these cars arent cable throttle, so one can only input and modulate the best you can. The ecu sees throttle as a "demand of torque" from the driver (in a primative sense)...so when you are driving a vehicle with double the torque output for what it is originally scaled and mapped for.....there isn't much you can do except pull back off the gas early in the box and put it hard mid track. Hence the solid MPH mid to late track.

So for now, until Justin gets some radials and the Vishnu PWM kit and back on the Advan dyno for more development...this little black duck (stig) is satisifed with the times i layed down. Others should be to!

Some of you should come down on a wed night and say hi! Would be good to see a few 1er's out there!
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2011, 12:50 AM   #219
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Your first pass of that night, sure. But how many passes in previous trips to the strip? My point being it takes practice with a specific setup to realise the potential of the car and of the driver in that car.

It's always hard when you get knocked off the top spot but remember the golden rule: there is always someone faster. Always.
It was my first time out there with FBO. The other 2 times I've been I only had a tune and tyres.

Safe to say I would improve on the consistent 12.2* that I was getting as that was the first time I'd driven the car with that setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMM View Post
Well after 4 passes im satisfied with the car in its current state, maybe i would of been happier with a lower 60ft, but 19's and street rubber just couldnt get it sticky enough.

Those with less power wont have as many issues getting out of the box. Less traction issues and less torque to break wheelspin. Hence lower 60ft, short time and lower MPH. Good half track acceleration up to speed, but not enought grunt to keep hauling and winding up the MPH.

Unfortunately these cars arent cable throttle, so one can only input and modulate the best you can. The ecu sees throttle as a "demand of torque" from the driver (in a primative sense)...so when you are driving a vehicle with double the torque output for what it is originally scaled and mapped for.....there isn't much you can do except pull back off the gas early in the box and put it hard mid track. Hence the solid MPH mid to late track.

So for now, until Justin gets some radials and the Vishnu PWM kit and back on the Advan dyno for more development...this little black duck (stig) is satisifed with the times i layed down. Others should be to!

Some of you should come down on a wed night and say hi! Would be good to see a few 1er's out there!
What brand and size were the tyres? Also, what rpm were you shifting at? The 60ft isn't bad it's just very average. I'm curious to know what happened as it seems you got out of the box okay then either had a bad shift or let off the gas momentarily?
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2011, 01:41 AM   #220
DMM
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: Ask my bank

Quote:
It was my first time out there with FBO. The other 2 times I've been I only had a tune and tyres.

Safe to say I would improve on the consistent 12.2* that I was getting as that was the first time I'd driven the car with that setup.

What brand and size were the tyres? Also, what rpm were you shifting at? The 60ft isn't bad it's just very average. I'm curious to know what happened as it seems you got out of the box okay then either had a bad shift or let off the gas momentarily?
Advan Neova....Possibly AD08, 265.

All isnt what it seemed. Out of the box was poor. If i went hard, no traction, went soft it would obviously bog, so i had to find a happy medium to get it up and out. Top of second gear was all wheelspin, and there is no point jumping off the gas and getting back on - its all over if i did(some say modulate the throttle, but need to remember DBW).

Only as good as your last run, so i know the car will be back at the strip soon! Plenty of juice left in it, 12.2 was easy pickings considering the MPH and the car stil had plenty of acceleration left crossing the line.
Appreciate 0