BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-23-2012, 04:46 PM   #1
Justin@ADVAN Performance
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: N54 135i

Advan Performance, 135i/335i "BC-Racing ER Series Coilover" kit

Hey Gents,

here are a few pics of the BC ER Series coilover kit that we will be installing in Peter's 335i shortly.

You may or may not remember, but I have had the BR Series (30 way damping) single adjustable coilovers in my 135i for some time now and I couldn't be happier. Well that is unless I had "young" Chris swap out my kit, for Pete's new double adjustable coil overs when he was not looking.

Unfortunately the ER Series coilover was not available for my 135i, when I did the BR single adjustable upgrade middle of last year.

Anyway BC-Racing ER Series coilovers feature separate compression and rebound damping adjustment. The ER Series coilovers bring with them the high quality and unique features seen on the BR type, but have the additional benefit of external reservoirs and the ability to allow the end user to individually adjust and set compression and rebound damping rates.

The external reservoir ER Series coilovers allow BC Racing to increase the oil capacity of the damper unit. The additional oil capacity reduces peak oil temperatures, which decreases variations in damping rates due to changes in the oil viscosity. This reduction in damping rate variations improves suspension performance and vehicle predictability under extreme track conditions.

Both the BR & ER Series coilovers include camber adjustable aluminium pillowball top mounts. The pillowballs themselves are of Japanese manufacture and their solid nature, eliminates any flex or distortion associated with a standard rubber mount, further improving response and handling.

The kit illustrated is compatible with both 135i & 335i vehicles.

It can be supplied and installed for $2,250.00 inclusive of GST.

The above price also includes a 4 wheel laser alignment, following the setting of vehicle ride height as per the customer's specifications.

We also allow for a second ride height adjustment, if the customer finds ground clearance or tyre scrubbing to be an issue, or perhaps they just want to go lower still.

Cheers,

JD.
Attached Images

Last edited by Justin@ADVAN Performance; 03-11-2013 at 07:55 AM.. Reason: Typo
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2012, 09:21 PM   #2
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

i've actually had experience with BC's stuff for other cars, i can't remember many specifics on manufacturers and stuff, but they're stocked by MANY retailers in australia, so parts and support is so much less of a worry than for most other things

evo/wrx guys run them a lot cos they're pretty good value for money.

just having a look at their website - seems they've trimmed down their lineup a bit, looks like there's only the 'gold' 'br' series, used to be red v1 ones below them to bottom-out their lineup? seems they're still for sale on other places just not listed on their site

ED: just curious, how much would it be for these shipped to QLD? ie no installation etc. etc.. ?

Last edited by flinchy; 06-23-2012 at 09:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2012, 11:39 PM   #3
_Ryan_
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E87 130i

Garage List
2005 BMW 130i  [5.24]
Justjap have been stocking them for years, I have driven on them in friends cars and wasn't overly impressed.

2k will buy you superior coilovers, and 300 will fit and align at many suspension shops.

I am surprised that Advan have put their name in the same sentence as BC.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2012, 12:43 AM   #4
Kiwi Peter
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 2012 Edition 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ryan_ View Post
Justjap have been stocking them for years, I have driven on them in friends cars and wasn't overly impressed.

2k will buy you superior coilovers, and 300 will fit and align at many suspension shops.

I am surprised that Advan have put their name in the same sentence as BC.
WOW you must know something i don't, as i have found them to be very good quality and great value for money i will use these in my own car, considering i can have anything i want as we sell many brands i have chosen BC and i am very happy about that.

I don't want to get into a war about shocks v shocks what you purchase is up to you.

Advan do all brands from a $1200 coil over setup to over $12,000 for some of our race cars, i think it is important to offer all options to all who ask.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2012, 03:23 AM   #5
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep

i'm with skycat on this one.. you've probably ridden in the v1's, which are the ~<1k models (still better than 99% of stock setups),.. which are about on par with tein superstreet ($1500ish) FYI.. in fact, tein superstreets are total balls, would not put on lawnmower for the priceerformance.

the BR's are usually about $500 more, and the ER's another $500 on top of that.

ED: definitely interested in purchasing a set if you'd say they're comparable to kw and such

Last edited by flinchy; 06-24-2012 at 05:03 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2012, 10:38 PM   #6
davo135i
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M235i

Justin,

How have you found the BR coilovers in your car. How many K's so far? Also do you think there would be much difference between the BR and ER range?
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2012, 08:09 AM   #7
Justin@ADVAN Performance
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchy View Post
i'm with skycat on this one.. you've probably ridden in the v1's, which are the ~<1k models (still better than 99% of stock setups),.. which are about on par with tein superstreet ($1500ish) FYI.. in fact, tein superstreets are total balls, would not put on lawnmower for the priceerformance.

the BR's are usually about $500 more, and the ER's another $500 on top of that.

ED: definitely interested in purchasing a set if you'd say they're comparable to kw and such
Hey flinchy,

I cannot comment on the tein coilovers you speak of, but from my personal experience I would rate the BC-Racing "BR Series" single adjustable coilovers on par with, or better than the KW V2's.

I have had both of the above mentioned coilovers installed in my 135i and even if you overlook the limited ride height adjustability of the KW's and the fact that they do not include top mount camber plates, IMHO the KW Version 2's do not have sufficient valving for proper track day use.

What's more the dampening range of the KW V2 overall, appears to be limited in comparison to the BC single adjustable units.

I recall comparing the difference from minimum dampening to maximum dampening with the Version 2's and the difference was not super significant. But with the BC's the range of dampening appears to be far more discernible, with full soft being compliant enough for street use, whilst admittedly full hard being too darn firm for Sydney roads, that rate of dampening is most welcome at the track.

I must confess that perhaps some will find the minimum dampening setting of the BC to be too firm for daily driving.

However I do not find that to be the case at all and my 135i is running on 19" 40 & 35 series tyres front and rear respectively. I have also completed a full M3 suspension conversion of my vehicle, save the lower camber links.

Obviously my findings are not based on the "ER Series" double adjustable units featured, but I am quite certain they will be superior in all aspects to the BR type coilovers currently installed in my car.

Cheers,

JD.

Last edited by Justin@ADVAN Performance; 06-25-2012 at 08:23 AM.. Reason: Typo
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2012, 05:47 AM   #8
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep

ah awesome, if they're comparable to the KW's, for the price that sounds good to me ^_^

how come the ER's aren't listed for teh 1 series on any BC racing product list?
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2012, 09:37 AM   #9
Justin@ADVAN Performance
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by davo135i View Post
Justin,

How have you found the BR coilovers in your car. How many K's so far? Also do you think there would be much difference between the BR and ER range?
Hi davo,

I have found the "BR Series" coilovers in my car to be excellent.

I imagine I have put around 10,000 km on them and they have performed flawlessly thus far.

I have not personally driven on both BR and ER type coilovers, but given that you can now purchase the double adjustable external reservoir units for what I originally paid for my single adjustable BC's, I would not hesitate to spend that bit extra on the ER Series if you have any intention of tracking your car.

By separating the adjustment for compression (bump) and rebound the ER Series allows you find tune the damping rate, to maximise suspension performance on the race track.

If on the other hand you are primarily looking to improve the damping of the vehicle for spirited street use or to drop the ride height for an aesthetic improvement, the BR Series are incredible bang for you buck, with all things considered.

Cheers,

JD.

Last edited by Justin@ADVAN Performance; 06-26-2012 at 03:17 PM.. Reason: Typo
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2012, 10:10 AM   #10
Justin@ADVAN Performance
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchy View Post
ah awesome, if they're comparable to the KW's, for the price that sounds good to me ^_^

how come the ER's aren't listed for teh 1 series on any BC racing product list?
Hi flinchy,

given that the BC's do not require you to purchase camber plates and the ER Series are double adjustable, IMHO they are every bit as good if not better, than the KW V2's, especially when considering price versus performance.

With regards the application listing, I suspect that is an oversight on the part of BC-Racing.

Pete is very confident that they are compatible with a 135i and given the amount of time he has spent underneath 1 & 3 Series vehicles, he is seldom wrong about such things.

Justin.

Last edited by Justin@ADVAN Performance; 06-26-2012 at 10:17 AM.. Reason: Typo
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2012, 08:57 PM   #11
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin@ADVAN Performance View Post
Hi flinchy,

given that the BC's do not require you to purchase camber plates and the ER Series are double adjustable, IMHO they are every bit as good if not better, than the KW V2's, especially when considering price versus performance.

With regards the application listing, I suspect that is an oversight on the part of BC-Racing.

Pete is very confident that they are compatible with a 135i and given the amount of time he has spent underneath 1 & 3 Series vehicles, he is seldom wrong about such things.

Justin.
true, considering camber plates set you back $500 alone for the good units, it'd then become an 'if you want retarded amounts of camber only for looks' situation

looking forwards to seeing them all on and finalized etc.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 04:18 AM   #12
Stuart@BMRAutowerkes
Major General
Rep
Drives: a black car

Coilovers from 1 and 3 series are interchangeable and will physically fit. Only difference would be in dampening and height, but that's adjustable anyway.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 04:34 AM   #13
koastal
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: F87

Was going to buy kw club sports but bought these and a set of track wheels and a new intake instead. And still saved some money
All reviews were positive and Tuv approved clinched it
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2012, 07:51 AM   #14
Tit
Australia
Rep
Drives: 964C2 // 1M // R56JCW

Quote:
Hi davo,
I have found the "BR Series" coilovers in my car to be excellent.
Hi Justin - are you able to give 'demo' rides to see how they feel on Sydney roads?
      06-30-2012, 07:57 PM   #15
Justin@ADVAN Performance
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by koastal View Post
Was going to buy kw club sports but bought these and a set of track wheels and a new intake instead. And still saved some money
All reviews were positive and Tuv approved clinched it
Hi Terry,

what were the track wheels and intake that you puchased?

I am looking forward to your findings following your next track day, after the BC's have been installed?

Just out of interest what was the price you were quoted on the KW Clubsports, were you buying them abroad or was Stu going to look after you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tit View Post
Hi Justin - are you able to give 'demo' rides to see how they feel on Sydney roads?
Hey mate,

you will normally find myself and my 1'er at Advan on Saturday's lending a hand to Pete.

So feel free to drop by and you can take it for a "demo" ride yourself, though it should be an interesting drive for anyone that is used to the OE clutch, as hopefully the OS Giken multi-plate will be installed next week.

Cheers,

JD.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2012, 08:49 PM   #16
Tit
Australia
Rep
Drives: 964C2 // 1M // R56JCW

Quote:
Hey mate,

you will normally find myself and my 1'er at Advan on Saturday's lending a hand to Pete.

So feel free to drop by and you can take it for a "demo" ride yourself, though it should be an interesting drive for anyone that is used to the OE clutch, as hopefully the OS Giken multi-plate will be installed next week.

Cheers,

JD.
Cool - thanks. Won't be anytime in the next few weeks, but I'll get in touch next time we're down in the big smoke...
      07-02-2012, 03:01 AM   #17
koastal
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: F87

Quote:
Hi Terry,

what were the track wheels and intake that you puchased?

I am looking forward to your findings following your next track day, after the BC's have been installed?

Just out of interest what was the price you were quoted on the KW Clubsports, were you buying them abroad or was Stu going to look after you?

Hey mate,

Cheers,

JD.
hey Justin

Thanks for agreeing to sell me your coilovers.
Track wheels are euro divisions , and intake is bms for the n55.
Price for club sports was $3200 delivered which I think was very good particularly from a local supplier.
I think nearly any suspension will be better than std for track days as they are very sloppy on direction changes.
I am anticipating an improvement in track times.

Cheers great service by the way
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2012, 08:45 AM   #18
Justin@ADVAN Performance
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by koastal View Post
hey Justin

Thanks for agreeing to sell me your coilovers.
Track wheels are euro divisions , and intake is bms for the n55.
Price for club sports was $3200 delivered which I think was very good particularly from a local supplier.
I think nearly any suspension will be better than std for track days as they are very sloppy on direction changes.
I am anticipating an improvement in track times.

Cheers great service by the way
Hi Terry,

thanks for the info and happy to be of service.

What features do the KW Clubsports incorporate in comparison to the more commonly used Version 2's and do they include top mount camber plates for that price?

Have you put the car through its paces at the track since installing the BC-Racing coilovers, or at least enjoyed a spirited Sunday drive?

I am keen to hear your impression of those cheap and nasty Taiwanese coilovers.

Last edited by Justin@ADVAN Performance; 07-11-2012 at 08:53 AM.. Reason: Typo
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2012, 03:11 AM   #19
1_dez
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: 1er

Hi Justin,

I just installed these last week on my 135 and was wondering about the settings.. (compression and rebound)

Could you provide any comment as to what the settings you recommend for the street?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by 1_dez; 02-19-2015 at 02:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2013, 07:13 AM   #20
Justin@ADVAN Performance
Captain
Australia
Rep

Hey Gents,

we have sold and installed quite a few BC-Racing ER Series coilover kits of late.

Whilst these external reservoir double adjustable shock absorbers are superb value for money for the track-day enthusiast, we can also supply the single adjustable BR Type RA Series coilovers at a fantastic price for street use.

The RA Series coilovers are manufactured to the same exacting standards as the ER Series and feature a 30 way compression/rebound adjustment, camber adjustable aluminium alloy (anodised) pillowball top mounts and a superb ride height adjustment system.

The pillowballs themselves are of Japanese manufacture and their solid nature, eliminates any deflection associated with a standard rubber mount, further improving response and handling. The pillowball upper mounts (spherical bearings) utilised are top quality, they are noise free and will not knock like those found in cheaper Chinese made coilover kits.

The RA Series as too the ER Series can be setup to maintain a stock ride height of + 5-10 mm or allow the car to be decked to a point where it's pretty much unstreetable.

The below pics show a complete RA kit that went into a customers car today, the same kit can be supplied and installed into a 135i or 335i at a currently reduced price of $1,750.00 inclusive of GST.

The above price also includes a 4 wheel laser alignment, following the setting of vehicle ride height as per the customer's requirements.

We also allow for a second ride height adjustment, if the owner finds ground clearance or tyre scrubbing to be an issue, or perhaps "slammed" is just not low enough.

Cheers,

JD.
Attached Images

Last edited by Justin@ADVAN Performance; 03-11-2013 at 08:09 AM.. Reason: Typo
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2014, 06:43 PM   #21
martymil
Banned
Australia
Rep
Drives: Garage is to big to list.

I had these installed on Friday, it totally transformed the car.

Amazing is the biggest understatement.

I've driven on many suspensions setups and this is by far the best for the money and
rivals the far more expensive setups.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2015, 06:43 AM   #22
wideawake
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Sorry for bringing up an old thread.

I'm interested to get the BC ER from the local dealer in my country.
I visited them today and they said the pillow ball mount at the top of the shocks cannot be used to add camber. Is this true? In fact they said the setup will be noisy over time.

Any comments from people who has used it for at least 6 months?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0