BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-16-2014, 03:26 PM   #1
mccandless
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Coil Question (is this a problem?)

I changed the spark plugs in my 135 today. everything went fine, but i noticed a white residue on the coil #3 (see picture). The rest of the coils were fine and the burn on the #3 spark plug was the same as the rest (normal brown color).

Does anyone know what this is or what causes it?

My car is a 2009 with 67000 km. I've had it for almost 2 years and this is the first time i have changed the plugs.

Thanks
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-16-2014, 03:50 PM   #2
Pig Farmer
Major
Rep
Drives: E92M

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccandless View Post
I changed the spark plugs in my 135 today. everything went fine, but i noticed a white residue on the coil #3 (see picture). The rest of the coils were fine and the burn on the #3 spark plug was the same as the rest (normal brown color).

Does anyone know what this is or what causes it?

My car is a 2009 with 67000 km. I've had it for almost 2 years and this is the first time i have changed the plugs.

Thanks
Looks like some water (or other liquid) made its way into the spark plug tube and boiled off. I've seen a little discoloration on a couple of my coils, but never that bad. It makes sense that it was found on the #3 coil. That coil sits under the oil fill cap. The engine cover is not perfectly sealed to the rubber gasket that sits under the oil fill cap. Any water, cleaner, etc. that runs off the engine cover at that location will spill down to the coils.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2014, 03:56 PM   #3
mccandless
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pig Farmer View Post
Looks like some water (or other liquid) made its way into the spark plug tube and boiled off. I've seen a little discoloration on a couple of my coils, but never that bad. It makes sense that it was found on the #3 coil. That coil sits under the oil fill cap. The engine cover is not perfectly sealed to the rubber gasket that sits under the oil fill cap. Any water, cleaner, etc. that runs off the engine cover at that location will spill down to the coils.
AH, that makes perfect sense. Maybe someone at the dealership cleaned the engine bay with water before i got it. I'm relieved that it's not a serious issued, thanks.
Appreciate 0