BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-05-2014, 07:29 PM   #1
ianc
Ex '87 Carrera
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 TiAg 6MT 135i

Code reader recommendations?

Hi folks,

Now that I'm out of warranty, it looks as though a code reader\clearer would be a good thing to have. I would primarily use this as problems come up, to view\clear codes when they appear as the car ages, both as a diagnostic measure, and to determine whether to attempt the repair myself or bring it to a local independent. For example, I just made a post this afternoon here about an issue that's come up that a scanner would be handy for.

I've done a bit of searching here and most of the posts I've found are from 2008\2009 vintage and talk about the BT tool. I took a look at their website and the page I found only claims compat through 2009. My car is a 2010. Also, from what I understand, this is basically a cable, and some software you download on your laptop. My laptop is rather old right now, so I don't much fancy dragging it out to my car every time I want to read a code; It seems to me a self-contained unit would be a better bet, unless the BT tool offers some tremendous advantage?

I've also seen some people mentioning the INNOVA 3130c from Equus, which can be found on Amazon (among other places). This would seem like a better bet since it is a self-contained unit, but is it missing some must-have feature I just don't know that I need?

I'd like to spend about $150-$250 I guess. Can anybody give me a bit of advice on what may\may not be important for my intended usage, and make some brand recommendations relevant to 2014?

Edited to say: anyone tried the BMWhat app for android?

Anything you've found particularly useful with your reader, or any tips you'd like to share with an OBD n00b?

Thanks muchly for any help!

ianc

"I got 328 loaner and was impressed with performance. It feels much faster than my 135i." - MOCKBA

Last edited by ianc; 05-05-2014 at 09:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2014, 02:33 PM   #2
Alex09_335
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335i

I know this thread is a little old but i am considering the same OBD scanner and looking of info.

Canadian tire has it on sale for 200$ and the Innova 3130 looks like it had some nice features including being able to report live data and BMW specific codes.

Any recommendations?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2014, 07:30 PM   #3
ianc
Ex '87 Carrera
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 TiAg 6MT 135i

I finally just went with the BMWhat app for android and a Bluetooth OBD adapter. It can read and clear BMW specific codes, do a bit of coding on the car, is very convenient, relatively cheap, and gets good support and frequent updates. They have a lite version you can try for free, so if you have an android device, give it a whirl...

ianc
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2014, 09:11 AM   #4
Alex09_335
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335i

Ill check to see if they have it for iPhone. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2014, 01:54 PM   #5
mr.fabulous
Captain
Rep
Drives: Women Crazy

A bit of current information from the folks at BT... I, too, wondered about support for the 135 as their site seems to say it's good only through a certain date... and so I dropped them a note and asked. Their response reads:

"The N55 engine is supported for the 135i. The latest release, version 1.9.4.0, includes this support. We will update the model feature matrix accordingly."

They cannot register a battery in an N55 car, however, grrrr....
Appreciate 0