04-20-2011, 05:20 PM   #23
as7920
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2023 SG/FR M4 xDrive Competiti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joer View Post
Yup I also bought CAR. Couldn't find it anywhere yesterday!

Well this is the first car I've bought worth reading about. Looking forward to a proper write up by EVO.
Ditto.

Got both Auto Express and CAR today. Anyone know when the next EVO and Top Gear are out?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 05:21 PM   #24
das68
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 1M

I'm also looking forward to the EVO review (hopefully soon).
I also hope its by Chris Harris, I really rate his reviews, I met him on a Caterham drifting day he's a great driver, and a real car nut.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 05:28 PM   #25
das68
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///1M View Post
Thanks for the link.
Did you notice, they say it has a 6,500 RPM redline.
The redline starts at 6500 but turns solid at 7000rpm
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 05:31 PM   #26
das68
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxercup View Post
yeah, they also said it comes with 18 inch wheels and sat nav.
I've not got the magazine in front of me, but I have just checked the online verison (including full version on other thread) and it definatley says 19" wheels & standard climate control & blue tooth, no mention of sat nav.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 05:40 PM   #27
as7920
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Mag does indeed say 18" wheels and NAV however I suspect that section is done by part of the editorial/research team rather than the journalists.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 07:55 PM   #28
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Nice!
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 09:22 PM   #29
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Rival: Audi RS3
Hottest A3 is the same price and just as powerful, but uses a different approach. It has a five-door body, twin-clutch gearbox and four-wheel drive – and ultimately isn’t as much fun.

Read more: http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/carrevi...#ixzz1K7WlJsBh

looks like they concur with Car and Driver on which is the better car.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 09:30 PM   #30
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Rival: Audi RS3
Hottest A3 is the same price and just as powerful, but uses a different approach. It has a five-door body, twin-clutch gearbox and four-wheel drive – and ultimately isn’t as much fun.

Read more: http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/carrevi...#ixzz1K7WlJsBh

looks like they concur with Car and Driver on which is the better car.
That was TT-RS they (C&D) were comparing to, not the RS 3 (though granted they share same engine).

FWIW, as much as I would like to see the 1///M come on top of every comparo, I have long stopped believing in US car magazine reviews. The sponsorship dollars severely impair their objective judgement.
1998 Porsche 993 C4S: Zenith Blue, last aircooled widebody, Bilstein PSS10, Fister II + Fabspeed exhaust
2008 Audi B7 RS 4: Sprint Blue, Audi Exclusive Euro Bucket Interior, Premium+Titanium, many mods
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 09:40 PM   #31
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M1 View Post
The sponsorship dollars severely impair their objective judgement.
LOL.. says you right? Got any proof?

While I am sure it's fun to say this. It's tantamount to saying " all cops are bad" or " all doctors are quacks" etc.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 10:12 PM   #32
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
LOL.. says you right? Got any proof?

While I am sure it's fun to say this. It's tantamount to saying " all cops are bad" or " all doctors are quacks" etc.
LOL back. Don't get offended, it's not a cheap shot at All Americana Car Journalism, I am an American so it hurts me to say that too, but let's be objective here, our rags are extremely biased and blinded by the sponsorship dollars sent their way. The top 3 companies are all 'related' via ownership and regurgitate the same articles. Look no further than what in last month's issues C&D, MT and AM covered, same cars (Mustang Boss, Fisker Karma, Cayman R, etc.), same reviews, and whichever one does not cover a specific car in a particular month, no worries, those stories will be flipped across those sister magazines and you'll get to read the same vanilla story next month. If they were truly worth the paper they were written on, annual subscription would run more than the $10 they charge, don't you think.

Proof. There is plenty. Can connect you to a bunch of guys at Edmunds who can openly tell you why they don't get free fleet cars from Lexus anymore after several critical but accurate reviews. Or why they had to 'spin off' Inside Line and make it at least optically appear different than Edmunds so one can be realistic and unbiased without fear of sponsorship dollars being revoked from the parent.

History is yet another proof. Look at the many bloopers they've had selecting COTY over the years. In fact, one of few meaningful articles AM had last year was listing their blunders of cars they picked over the years as favorites. Mostly GM and Ford garbage, again directly proportional to 'lobbying' efforts and sponsorship dollars.

Know any foreign languages? If so, I suggest you read up on some foreign press and make your own conclusion, it will be pretty clear to you in a hurry what is a good publication and what is not. I am lucky to have learned 5 languages (so can proudly break the stereotype of a dumb uni-language American), which allows me to get subscriptions from all over the world. US rags make for great pics and tear sheets whenever they manage to get the stats right, but that is about it...
1998 Porsche 993 C4S: Zenith Blue, last aircooled widebody, Bilstein PSS10, Fister II + Fabspeed exhaust
2008 Audi B7 RS 4: Sprint Blue, Audi Exclusive Euro Bucket Interior, Premium+Titanium, many mods
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 02:06 AM   #33
M3Power79
Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: 1M sold - M4 MW DKG ordered

More and more i get convinced that BSM was the right choice
"... on the smiles-per-mile charts, the 1-series M coupe can't be beat. It is a challenging piece, a triple-X-rated driver's machine for semi-professionals. Its handling balance provides an open invitation to indulge in latent oversteer, and provides an opportunity to separate the men from the boys. It is an absolute hoot on the track and an addictive plaything on your favorite twisty back road. "
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 03:20 AM   #34
PSYMON81
BMW FANATIC
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 1M Black - 320d x touring

Nice article, but really bad pics......
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 03:37 AM   #35
as7920
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSYMON81 View Post
Nice article, but really bad pics......
Pics from Autobild.

Got the latest Autobild on my iPad. Couple of new pics not shown in Auto Express article but not much to get excited about.

I must admit I don't think the black looks that great in these photos. Derek's (WLKSFTLY) photos look more representative.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 06:23 AM   #36
///1M
Captain
Rep
Drives: On a good day, AW 1M coupe

Quote:
LOL back. Don't get offended, it's not a cheap shot at All Americana Car Journalism, I am an American so it hurts me to say that too, but let's be objective here, our rags are extremely biased and blinded by the sponsorship dollars sent their way. The top 3 companies are all 'related' via ownership and regurgitate the same articles. Look no further than what in last month's issues C&D, MT and AM covered, same cars (Mustang Boss, Fisker Karma, Cayman R, etc.), same reviews, and whichever one does not cover a specific car in a particular month, no worries, those stories will be flipped across those sister magazines and you'll get to read the same vanilla story next month. If they were truly worth the paper they were written on, annual subscription would run more than the $10 they charge, don't you think.

Proof. There is plenty. Can connect you to a bunch of guys at Edmunds who can openly tell you why they don't get free fleet cars from Lexus anymore after several critical but accurate reviews. Or why they had to 'spin off' Inside Line and make it at least optically appear different than Edmunds so one can be realistic and unbiased without fear of sponsorship dollars being revoked from the parent.

History is yet another proof. Look at the many bloopers they've had selecting COTY over the years. In fact, one of few meaningful articles AM had last year was listing their blunders of cars they picked over the years as favorites. Mostly GM and Ford garbage, again directly proportional to 'lobbying' efforts and sponsorship dollars.

Know any foreign languages? If so, I suggest you read up on some foreign press and make your own conclusion, it will be pretty clear to you in a hurry what is a good publication and what is not. I am lucky to have learned 5 languages (so can proudly break the stereotype of a dumb uni-language American), which allows me to get subscriptions from all over the world. US rags make for great pics and tear sheets whenever they manage to get the stats right, but that is about it...
Interesting. How did you come to learn the other four languages? (and what are they?)
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 09:46 AM   #37
MDivPower
Private First Class
Egypt
Rep
Drives: mk4 Jetta

evo and car are the best! bad thing is that i can't find them easily around!
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 09:48 AM   #38
discoboy1
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E82 1M VO/F30 328D

On a side note, discussions about 1M on the M3 board sure has gone quiet....

Keep those good reviews coming!!!
      04-21-2011, 10:11 AM   #39
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:

still not Proof. Just a lot of innuendo. Yes.. the three main US rags are inter-related by way of ownership currently, but it hasn't been that way forever, only due to the fact that companies have bought other companies just like the # of major BANKS in the US has reduced over the last decade. This doesn't make all BANKS in the US horrible.

As far as content being the same, NATCH.. if the new Boss Mustang comes out, each magazine is going to rush to get a review of it to press for their readership. Same thing happens with camera magazines, tech mags, stereo rags, etc. Many A/V magazines have gone the route of the US car magazine.

As far as Lexus not sending cars... that's their choice to send cars. If anything, the refusal to send the free fleet cars..... are you saying that access to these cars caused Edmunds to not write objectively? Clearly that's not what ocurred? this certainly doesn't make your point very well .

Mag is cheap to subscribe to? Sounds like an active advertising department is able to bring in lots of $$. Membership (i..e subscribers) get the privilege of this. As far as the COTY at certain magazines, well picking success at the COTY is probably about as successful as Heisman trophy winners that will do well in the NFL. It's easy to lob the " sponsorship dollars" softball up and hit it out of the park with your own fungoe and declare yourself the "winner".
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 10:12 AM   #40
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by discoboy1 View Post
On a side note, discussions about 1M on the M3 board sure has gone quiet....

Keep those good reviews coming!!!
I was thinking the same thing which is strange. There is more talk about Mustangs and AMGs but no talk about the new little brother.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 10:51 AM   #41
biggles
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3/1M (ordered)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDivPower View Post
evo and car are the best! bad thing is that i can't find them easily around!
Personally prefer autocar for road tests. They aren't as fluffy as the others and are a bit more scientific in their analysis. They generally come across as more objective too. I've even read a comment from clarkson on how highly he rates them!
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 11:09 AM   #42
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
still not Proof. Just a lot of innuendo. Yes.. the three main US rags are inter-related by way of ownership currently, but it hasn't been that way forever, only due to the fact that companies have bought other companies just like the # of major BANKS in the US has reduced over the last decade. This doesn't make all BANKS in the US horrible.
I am not putting everything under a common denominator and stating everything they write is 'horrible'. Certainly they have some credible material but on many of ocassion it is painfully clear reviews are prescripted and redacted to suit specific interest groups. Maybe you too believe lobbying in Congress does not exist and need 'proof' for that too? Yeah, corn grower Joe from NE all by himself wrote a petition to the government and as a result we are getting 15% ethanol in our fuel soon. Or maybe CNN has got you believing that is indeed a good thing. If you think we live in such a world you've been reading Karl Marx too much.

Quote:
Many A/V magazines have gone the route of the US car magazine.
Which is exactly why I stopped reading those too, or I should say, all I need to do is read one and that's all I need to know, as the same info is regurgitated in the N+1 other such rags. This is just another sign that 'true' journalism, at least when it comes to consumer goods, has long dissipated.

Quote:
As far as Lexus not sending cars... that's their choice to send cars. If anything, the refusal to send the free fleet cars..... are you saying that access to these cars caused Edmunds to not write objectively? Clearly that's not what ocurred? this certainly doesn't make your point very well .
I can gladly PM you the contacts of a senior employee at Edmunds, so you can hear it from the horses mouth, if you still need proof (in fact you can look forward to his story soon on the issues with carbon buildup on Audi's FSI engines, which BTW, no other magazine or publication has wanted to address depite knowing its gravity for fear of...you guessed it - less Audi GmbH 'love'). He can tell you exactly why exactly Lexus pulled out their 'sponsorship'' contributions after Edmunds was very objective yet critical of some of their products. And why Inside Line even exists as a 'standalone' entity (at least optically).

Quote:
As far as the COTY at certain magazines, well picking success at the COTY is probably about as successful as Heisman trophy winners that will do well in the NFL.
Don't see the inference or relevance of this comparo at all. A whole host of things can cause an athlete to perform as a star in one environment, and be a flop in another. Injuries, psychology, etc., something a machinery is devoid of...

Clearly you live in a small world and refuse to see beyond it, I know, makes for an easiler life, doesn't it? So not about to profess enlightenment to anyone, especially over the internet. Read and praise the US magazines all you wish, I would have thought the intellectual capacity of most piston heads on the forums is high enough to detect and realize bias and attempts at brainwashing, but I guess not... It's like watching CNN and thinking that's the real news. If we were 'allowed' to watch (i.e. have access to) more channels like BBC, Al Jazeera, etc. then the concept of what realy world news is quickly changes and the world is no longer an oyster.

Or perhaps you also believe the Obama Motors, oooops, I mean General Motors, bailout and Toyota fine was also unscripted. They should have just let that company fail. But what did the Obama administration do as soon as they became owners of GM and Chrysler? You kill the #1 competitor, that's what. That administration saw no shame in fining Toyota for $30 million and flaming them on government websites while constantly issuing press releases and public statements telling the public to tow their Toyota into the dealer or better yet, trade it for a GM car, not to mention all the costs to Toyota in recalls, lost sales, and reputation damage. Oh, the year-long study came out in early Feb and guess what? It was driver fault. No fault of Toyota. Did the administration so much as apologize? Yeah, right.

I guess for every train there are passengers, and I am sure US rags are happy to have a trusty and gullible reader base like yourself that can't see passed through the smoke screen...
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 11:39 AM   #43
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
I am not putting everything under a common denominator and stating everything they write is 'horrible'. Certainly they have some credible material but on many of ocassion it is painfully clear reviews are prescripted and redacted to suit specific interest groups. Maybe you too believe lobbying in Congress does not exist and need 'proof' for that too? Yeah, corn grower Joe from NE all by himself wrote a petition to the government and as a result we are getting 15% ethanol in our fuel soon. Or maybe CNN has got you believing that is indeed a good thing. If you think we live in such a world you've been reading Karl Marx too much.

Which is exactly why I stopped reading those too, or I should say, all I need to do is read one and that's all I need to know, as the same info is regurgitated in the N+1 other such rags. This is just another sign that 'true' journalism, at least when it comes to consumer goods, has long dissipated.

I can gladly PM you the contacts of a senior employee at Edmunds, so you can hear it from the horses mouth, if you still need proof (in fact you can look forward to his story soon on the issues with carbon buildup on Audi's FSI engines, which BTW, no other magazine or publication has wanted to address depite knowing its gravity for fear of...you guessed it - less Audi GmbH 'love'). He can tell you exactly why exactly Lexus pulled out their 'sponsorship'' contributions after Edmunds was very objective yet critical of some of their products. And why Inside Line even exists as a 'standalone' entity (at least optically).

Don't see the inference or relevance of this comparo at all. A whole host of things can cause an athlete to perform as a star in one environment, and be a flop in another. Injuries, psychology, etc., something a machinery is devoid of...

Clearly you live in a small world and refuse to see beyond it, I know, makes for an easiler life, doesn't it? So not about to profess enlightenment to anyone, especially over the internet. Read and praise the US magazines all you wish, I would have thought the intellectual capacity of most piston heads on the forums is high enough to detect and realize bias and attempts at brainwashing, but I guess not... It's like watching CNN and thinking that's the real news. If we were 'allowed' to watch (i.e. have access to) more channels like BBC, Al Jazeera, etc. then the concept of what realy world news is quickly changes and the world is no longer an oyster.

Or perhaps you also believe the Obama Motors, oooops, I mean General Motors, bailout and Toyota fine was also unscripted. They should have just let that company fail. But what did the Obama administration do as soon as they became owners of GM and Chrysler? You kill the #1 competitor, that's what. That administration saw no shame in fining Toyota for $30 million and flaming them on government websites while constantly issuing press releases and public statements telling the public to tow their Toyota into the dealer or better yet, trade it for a GM car, not to mention all the costs to Toyota in recalls, lost sales, and reputation damage. Oh, the year-long study came out in early Feb and guess what? It was driver fault. No fault of Toyota. Did the administration so much as apologize? Yeah, right.

I guess for every train there are passengers, and I am sure US rags are happy to have a trusty and gullible reader base like yourself that can't see passed [sic] through the smoke screen...

yawn.. didn't take long for your to stoop to name calling and insults as opposed to providing facts ??. .

and sure... PM your Edmunds contact.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 07:28 PM   #44
emathis
Private
Rep
Drives: X6//M + 1series V8

Thumbs up

"Best M car for a long time? Undoubtedley"

(I'm now glad I get mine in a few weeks time!)[/QUOTE]

9th of May will be "early Christmas" for me this year!
That's the delivery for mine
Appreciate 0