BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-23-2012, 03:11 PM   #199
Justin@ADVAN Performance
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: N54 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimMc View Post
Thanks Justin. Yeah, I fully understood why you went down that track. My main question, particularly to cars that are only rarely tracked liked my own was, "the lower thermostat setup. Like some others, I suspect there's a reason that BMW want to run these direct injected engines above a certain temp (though not the extreme temps you can get when you up the power & track the car).". There's talk that running higher oil temps on the road may stop some of the carbon build up on our DI engines. Why do BMW run such a high thermostat value? If my car was purely a track car I'd be comfortable with your lower value unit but as it's 99% a road car I'm not sure. Thoughts? I'm happy to be convinced either way.
Cheers, Tim.
Hey Tim,

there is a better way to reduce carbon build up on valves than by running unnecessarily high oil temps on the road.

The high thermostat value gives rise to higher oil temps under normal driving conditions, the benefit of this for BMW is that it improves fuel economy and lowers exhaust gas emissions.

An engine running at a higher temperature will see an increase in cylinder pressures, which makes for a more efficient burn of the air/fuel mixture in the combustion cycle.

If you have very little intention to track your car then our Stage 1 (15 row) oil cooler kit is perfect for your needs.

It still retains the use of OE thermostat, which does not begin to open until almost 105 degrees Celsius.

As such you will still see running temps in the vicinity of 110-115 degrees Celsius, pending ambient air temperature.

However on the occasion when you do track your car, your engine oil temps will not skyrocket as you now have an oil cooler which has 2.82 x the core volume of the inefficient BMW OE cooler.

It is also ideally located to see the maximum amount of "clean air" possible, which makes full use of the significantly larger core volume.

Cheers,

JD.

Last edited by Justin@ADVAN Performance; 02-24-2012 at 08:47 AM.. Reason: Typo
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2012, 06:50 AM   #200
TimMc
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Thanks for your explanation on why BMW run the high temps/thermostat value Justin. Apart from an OCC, I'm also interested to here your ideas on stopping the carbon build up too.

Yeah, it sounds like your Stage 1 kit may be what I'm after.

Cheers, Tim
      02-25-2012, 10:57 PM   #201
Justin@ADVAN Performance
Captain
Australia
Rep

Hey Gents,

here are a few pics of the -10 AN oil filter housing adapter, that we are using in our Stage 1 oil cooler kits, that retain the use of the BMW OE thermostat.

It's currently fitted to our 135i and I will snap off some pics of the installed component soon.

FYI,

the Stage 1 kit that was installed in my car, to ensure correct fitment and to evaluate oil temps, will be up for sale soon as it will be removed to make way for our Stage 2 kit.

Our group buy price for the Stage 1 oil cooler kit is $650.00, exclusive of shipping.

I can assure you as a slightly used kit, it will be going for a lot less than that.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-26-2012, 04:36 AM   #202
RimasRS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 SD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin@ADVAN Performance View Post
Hey Gents,

here are a few pics of the -10 AN oil filter housing adapter, that we are using in our Stage 1 oil cooler kits, that retain the use of the BMW OE thermostat.

It's currently fitted to our 135i and I will snap off some pics of the installed component soon.

FYI,

the Stage 1 kit that was installed in my car, to ensure correct fitment and to evaluate oil temps, will be up for sale soon as it will be removed to make way for our Stage 2 kit.

Our group buy price for the Stage 1 oil cooler kit is $650.00, exclusive of shipping.

I can assure you as a slightly used kit, it will be going for a lot less than that.
Is it possible to buy adapter separately how much? I need it please
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2012, 04:31 AM   #203
Justin@ADVAN Performance
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for your explanation on why BMW run the high temps/thermostat value Justin. Apart from an OCC, I'm also interested to here your ideas on stopping the carbon build up too.

Yeah, it sounds like your Stage 1 kit may be what I'm after.

Cheers, Tim
Hey Tim,

that's cool, no problem at all.

Believe it or not I feel Meth' injection is beneficial at reducing carbon build up on intake valves.

I have seen quite a few pics from the US 3 Series forum, that illustrate the valve cleaning process on various vehicles.

IMHO,

the guys that have been running Meth' on a regular basis for a long period of time, appear to have less carbon build up, than those guys that have never run methanol injection on their cars. (both have been using an OCC).

Just another reason to get yourself hooked on Meth'.

Lastly Tim,

FYI.

The Stage 1 kit that was installed in my car, to ensure correct fitment and to evaluate oil temps, will be up for sale soon as it will be removed to make way for our Stage 2 kit.

Cheers,

JD.

Last edited by Justin@ADVAN Performance; 02-27-2012 at 12:41 PM.. Reason: Typo
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2012, 12:46 PM   #204
Justin@ADVAN Performance
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RimasRS View Post
Is it possible to buy adapter separately how much? I need it please
Hi RimasRS,

I am sorry but we will not be selling individual components of our kits at this time.

Our prototype Stage 1 kit will be up for sale soon, I suggest you have a look at that as it will be very nicely priced.

Cheers,

Justin.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2012, 12:55 PM   #205
RimasRS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 SD

Quote:
Hi RimasRS,

I am sorry but we will not be selling individual components of our kits at this time.

Our prototype Stage 1 kit will be up for sale soon, I suggest you have a look at that as it will be very nicely priced.

Cheers,
Justin.
Good thanks looking forward to it.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2012, 07:15 PM   #206
Justin@ADVAN Performance
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RimasRS View Post
Good thanks looking forward to it.
Hey mate,

we hope to have finalised the "production" oil cooler bracket for both our Stage 1 & Stage 2 kits, within the next few weeks.

Once we have the finished the mounting bracket I will be selling my Stage 1 kit, to allow fitment of our Stage 2.

So keep an eye out for it.

Cheers,

JD.

Last edited by Justin@ADVAN Performance; 03-01-2012 at 07:33 PM.. Reason: Typo
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2012, 11:58 PM   #207
TimMc
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Track day at Lakeside yesterday running Justin's old Toyo Proxes 888s. Managed to knock a couple of seconds off my previous best time, but as it was a very hot day I was seeing over 135 degrees of oil temp on every outing. Time for yet another oil change but I'm ready for better cooling now.
      03-03-2012, 01:47 AM   #208
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Quote:
Track day at Lakeside yesterday running Justin's old Toyo Proxes 888s. Managed to knock a couple of seconds off my previous best time, but as it was a very hot day I was seeing over 135 degrees of oil temp on every outing. Time for yet another oil change but I'm ready for better cooling now.
Hi Tim what times were you putting down mate? A couple seconds is a huge achievement, well done

+ 1 on better cooling. I want stage 2 though, not sure about replacing the thermostat or not though.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2012, 05:22 AM   #209
TimMc
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

1:03.5 was my best. Not as good as another forum member here, who I think has run a 1:02 on Dunlop semi slicks & no other mods. Bloody hot & humid & I'm told times should be ~1s better on a cooler day.
http://www.natsoft.com.au/cgi-bin/re...3/2012.LAKE.P1

I don't think I want to change the thermostat but just need to decide on the size of aftermarket cooler I'll run. May even upgrade the radiator.
      03-03-2012, 05:52 AM   #210
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
1:03.5 was my best. Not as good as another forum member here, who I think has run a 1:02 on Dunlop semi slicks & no other mods. Bloody hot & humid & I'm told times should be ~1s better on a cooler day.
http://www.natsoft.com.au/cgi-bin/re...3/2012.LAKE.P1

I don't think I want to change the thermostat but just need to decide on the size of aftermarket cooler I'll run. May even upgrade the radiator.
That's impressive Tim. You're in the upper echelon on that list. Well done.

I'm undecided on the oil cooler but think I will try and get the radiator too. Not too keen on the price but it's good insurance to protect the engine in the long term.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2012, 06:38 PM   #211
Justin@ADVAN Performance
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Hey Tim,

as I have mentioned before you will a significant improvement in oil temps with the use of our Stage 1 kit.

You would have even lower running temps and better stabilisation with our Stage 2 kit, as our Mocal external thermostat operates at 82 degrees Celsius and the Stage 2 kit also features a larger (20 row) core.

However I know you are apprehensive about deleting the OE thermostat, so the Stage 1 setup would be the better choice for you.

Cheers,

JD.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2012, 06:49 PM   #212
Justin@ADVAN Performance
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW86 View Post
+ 1 on better cooling. I want stage 2 though, not sure about replacing the thermostat or not though.
Hey mate,

IMHO if you are keen on the larger core it would be prudent to use the external thermostat.

You will be taking full advantage of the improved heat transfer capability of the 20 row Setrab core, with the use of the 82 degrees Celsius stat'.

If you retain the OE stat' the oil cooler will not see any oil flow until almost 105 degrees Celsius.

If you were living in a very cold climate perhaps it would better to run with the OE stat', but I can't imagine Brisbane has Winter's equivalent to parts of Europe or North America.

Just my 2 cents...
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2012, 07:05 PM   #213
pavo335
Banned
Rep
Drives: 3.5 wheeler

For se reason I assed the thermostat would be different in Europe, but if it the se then I guess the delete makes perfect sense. Have you had much interest in the kit (rad and oil) or still in the development phase?
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2012, 07:18 PM   #214
Justin@ADVAN Performance
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavo335 View Post
For se reason I assed the thermostat would be different in Europe, but if it the se then I guess the delete makes perfect sense. Have you had much interest in the kit (rad and oil) or still in the development phase?
The oil cooler kits are pretty much done, save the finished mounting bracket.

The PWR 5970 rad' is a done thing too, just sorting out a design revision with PWR, to ensure correct fitment for AT vehicles.

I have had the completed Stage 1 kit in my car for several weeks now, although the cooler is fitted up with our prototype bracket.

I will be removing the above shortly to make way for our Stage 2 kit, I am just waiting on the completion of our "production unit" mounting brackets.

I have taken a few orders for the PWR rad' from customers in Europe and the US, however with regards the oil cooler kits you could say the enquires have been mostly from "tyre kickers".

Last edited by Justin@ADVAN Performance; 03-03-2012 at 07:22 PM.. Reason: Typo
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 02:58 AM   #215
TimMc
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Hey Tim,

as I have mentioned before you will a significant improvement in oil temps with the use of our Stage 1 kit.

You would have even lower running temps and better stabilisation with our Stage 2 kit, as our Mocal external thermostat operates at 82 degrees Celsius and the Stage 2 kit also features a larger (20 row) core.

However I know you are apprehensive about deleting the OE thermostat, so the Stage 1 setup would be the better choice for you.

Cheers,

JD.
Put me down for the group buy (if it's still happening), of the Stage 1 kit with the rad and all then. I'd be keen to know if you have any associates in Brisbane who you'd entrust to fit this too. How long do you think before all this will be ready? Don't worry about the AT guys. They're not important.
Somewhere in this thread there was mention of not using the OEM, or any, shroud. Is this still the case? Is this for the radiator?
Cheers, Tim.
      03-04-2012, 12:40 PM   #216
Justin@ADVAN Performance
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Put me down for the group buy (if it's still happening), of the Stage 1 kit with the rad and all then. I'd be keen to know if you have any associates in Brisbane who you'd entrust to fit this too. How long do you think before all this will be ready? Don't worry about the AT guys. They're not important.
Somewhere in this thread there was mention of not using the OEM, or any, shroud. Is this still the case? Is this for the radiator?
Cheers, Tim.
Hey Tim,

the group buy is still current.

Truth be told we were going to conclude the group buy at the end of January, as it was intended to be a "Pre-delivery" GB.

However we have had a lot more interest in the PWR rad' than our oil cooler kits, so the GB will be continued indefinitely until we have the minimum number of 5 for the "Complete Cooling Solution" or just an oil cooler by itself.

I will ask Pete if he knows of a trustworthy workshop in the Brisbane area he can put you in contact with.

I could pretty much sell you a Stage 1 oil cooler kit and PWR rad' right now.

However the retail pricing without the GB is not as attractive, we almost have the numbers for a radiator order of 5, but we are a little short of 5 on our oil cooler kits.

I suspect the many AT guys in the US would disagree with your assessment of them not being important.

That being said perhaps I should heed your advice, as one or two of them are proving more than a little difficult to deal with.

The "shroud" you are referring to was the OE airflow duct for the OE oil cooler.

As you can see from the below pic, due to our placement of the Setrab core, the OE duct is no longer required.

Lastly thank you for your order Tim, it's much appreciated.

Justin.
Attached Images

Last edited by Justin@ADVAN Performance; 03-04-2012 at 11:01 PM.. Reason: Typo
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 04:09 PM   #217
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

Thanks for the update. Any chance of a DIY for the guys that want to give the install a go?

In one of your previous posts you mentioned that it can be installed without removing the front bumper.

The more I read about this OC the more keen I get!

Last edited by BMW86; 03-04-2012 at 04:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 07:17 AM   #218
Justin@ADVAN Performance
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW86 View Post
Thanks for the update. Any chance of a DIY for the guys that want to give the install a go?

In one of your previous posts you mentioned that it can be installed without removing the front bumper.

The more I read about this OC the more keen I get!
Hey mate,

we have already considered the need for a DIY tutorial and will put something together once we have the numbers for the group buy.

Yes you are correct,

there is no need to remove the front bumper to install either our Stage 1 or Stage 2 oil cooler kits.

If you are genuinely interested in our kits, I can add your name to the group buy list for just the oil cooler if you wish.

Ay this stage there is no obligation to proceed with the purchase, but if we can get the ball rolling we are more likely to get the numbers required to be able to offer the fantastic GB pricing.

Cheers,

JD.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 07:28 AM   #219
Justin@ADVAN Performance
Captain
Australia
Rep

Hi Gents,

just a reminder with regards our REVISED group buy pricing,

on the Advan performance, N54 "Complete Cooling Solution".

- The Stage 1 kit that features a 15 row "Setrab" oil cooler & "PWR" MT 5970 radiator will NOW be available for $1,445.00

- The Stage 2 kit that features the 20 row "Setrab" oil cooler & "PWR" MT 5970 radiator will be available for $1,795.00

- The Stage 1 oil cooler kit can be purchased without the rad' for $650.00

- The Stage 2 oil cooler kit can be purchased without the rad' for $1,000.00

Please note that the above pricing is exclusive of shipment and fitment (for you local guys).

We require a minimum of 5 purchasers to be able to offer this fantastic pricing.

1. TimMc (Stage 1 oil cooler + MT 5970 rad')

2. BMW86 (Stage 2 oil cooler)

3. alik01 (Stage 2 oil cooler)

Please PM me with your expression of interest or simply post in this thread.

Cheers.

Last edited by Justin@ADVAN Performance; 03-08-2012 at 11:50 PM.. Reason: Typo
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 07:43 AM   #220
alik01
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Slowly & Responsibly

Justin, I am potentially interested also. However, is there anyone in Darwin that you can find for install? Also how much would shipping To 0800 be?