BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-21-2019, 12:43 PM   #1
ChillFill
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i M-Sport Coupé

Haven't been here ina while! GLOVEBOX LOCKED-OUT

Not to drag this out, I use to come here a lot when I first bought my 135i. Did not fix the fuel pump issue, and others arise. Another thread will be posted on that.

SO, I bought new wheels, bought a squared set of 18x8. For $504 plus tax/ship = ~$570. Unreal deal from ECS Tuning. They made a mistake by sending me a more expansive set (I think?) which is staggered. So I have 18x8 and 18x9 in real of course.

Anyway, my 1er needed an alignment BAD before the wheels even came in. I'm at the tire shop (friendly guys we work with, do a lot of business with, kinda VIP customers if you will). So I'm locking all my valuables in the glovebox, using the internal key within the key fob. The guy signals me through the window to bring up the keys.

It's approx. 1:30pm, I have an exam at 2:00. I'm in a huge rush, the tire shop guys are busy as hell and are in a huge rush. Everyone's in a rush. When I walk in the manager tells me they're booked and the alignment, suspension expert (he really is) was absent that day. Ok, I'll come back another day. Suddenly I notice I'm missing the key to open the glove box. Searched EVERYWHERE, car, under seats (I use to detail professionally, I know all the nooks and crannies). Searched the parking lot; NOTHING.

There's $50 in there, a fairly pricey cologne, pricey sunglasses, vehicle registration/insurance. HOW can I get it open without going to a dealer? Anyway to come in underneath? I have a small shop full of tools for automotive use..

Afraid to go to the dealer as it may cost more than the $50 that's in them. I can reprint the paperwork, and have another pair of shades. Any suggestions? Anything at all will be hugely appreciated!

Pics of new wheels (cool to ask about wheels, don't want them to be focus on this post), and BMW caps coming in on Monday):
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 04:24 PM   #2
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep
Drives: In Exuberance

Garage List
Do you still have the spare key? That's my only suggestion...
      02-21-2019, 04:37 PM   #3
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

I'm trying to remember. But I think you can drop the entire glove box/lower dash assembly as a unit. I'll have to look at some pics I took when I had the dash apart which may jar my memory. But once you drop the glove box, I think the opening to allow access to the fuse block under the dash may allow you access into the contents of the glove box. I just don't remember with the glove box closed if it blocks off the opening in the back.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 05:00 PM   #4
Gizmo135i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i n55

You can get just the key blade from the dealer, only problem is your going to need to present your registration to them, that’s going to be difficult if it’s in your glove box lol

You can’t remove the glovebox without opening it.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 08:31 PM   #5
ChillFill
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i M-Sport Coupé

So I opened. For the first comment, yes I lost the little key that resides in the keyfob; hence the unfortunate ordeal. I had money in there, an Eau de Toilette and cologne (fairly sure I'm a minority here on the forum that's a men's fragrance collector/enthusiast). Anyway, searched the entire car for that key. AND I've dropped many things in between seats, under, all-over on countless occasions. Some were harder than others- but always retrieved. This was the 3rd time searching *thoroughly*; nothing. I will be giving my 1er a full detail Friday or on the weekend, we'll see if it turns up.

This is what I did. Took a blunt knife, stuck it in from the right side, pried it- once I got enough finger room I forced it open. The black handle piece with the lock broke off (it's still attached). Glove box seems in ok condition and repairable. The little hydraulic or w/e pipe that lets down the lid slowly popped out but did not break. God my valuables out. Money, Once of the fragrances. I decided to keep it open, as closing it will, well lock it again. Until my idiot friend closed it.. impart my fault for not letting him know about the situation.

Once I get around to fixing it, I may revive this thread or make a new one.

Thanks for the suggestions guys!
Appreciate 0