BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-08-2013, 10:36 AM   #1
Jay-K
Brigadier General
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: Slow

Should i be worried, aluminum bolts

well, i just found out and have some time to read the stickers on my intake inlets. then i notice that the aluminum bolts MUST be replaced after it was opened.. but then i remember maybe last month i open it to clean the filters..
should i be worried then?
also is cleaning the filter with a compressor a good way to clean it? (i think i had oil filter)
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-08-2013, 10:48 PM   #2
Jay-K
Brigadier General
Indonesia
Rep

is this the aluminium bolts on the intake box or ?
i notice that you you guys have blue stickers...
what does it say?

i bought the car second handed with the afe intake box included that's why i had no idea how that black sticker is there..
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-08-2013, 11:37 PM   #3
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08 AW 6MT E82

I don't have an AFE CAI but from what I can see, it looks as though that black sticker there is from the AFE kit.

Personally I can't imagine why you would need to replace the aluminium bolts on the AFE CAI lid everytime you want to open/close it. The reason why they say you should replace it is because they're aluminium and it's possible for the heads to strip or for them to break off especially if you are torquing it too tightly. In saying that though, it's just a lid and I can't see why you would be tightening it enough to damage the bolt itself.

If my assumptions are correct, just ignore it. You've got nothing to worry about.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2013, 12:38 AM   #4
Jay-K
Brigadier General
Indonesia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by froop View Post
I don't have an AFE CAI but from what I can see, it looks as though that black sticker there is from the AFE kit.

Personally I can't imagine why you would need to replace the aluminium bolts on the AFE CAI lid everytime you want to open/close it. The reason why they say you should replace it is because they're aluminium and it's possible for the heads to strip or for them to break off especially if you are torquing it too tightly. In saying that though, it's just a lid and I can't see why you would be tightening it enough to damage the bolt itself.

If my assumptions are correct, just ignore it. You've got nothing to worry about.
thanks, but what i get is that the message in my "black" sticker are exactly the same as what was written in the blue sticker.. just without the BMW logo and stuff. there are also some numbers on down right ..

some say it was the bolts on the turbo or engine parts? that's why it really dont make any sense if i have to replace the bolts everytime i clean my filter..
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2013, 02:55 AM   #5
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08 AW 6MT E82

If it indeed is a factory sticker then they definitely wouldn't be referring to the bolts on your filter as it's aftermarket and the OEM airbox doesn't have any aluminium bolts on it.

There are some aluminium bolts and nuts located on the car which do need to be replaced when removed but I wouldn't know exactly where to find all of them. Possibly a Bentley manual would be able to list them per job.

I definitely know that a lot of the hex nuts used for the suspension are usually made of aluminium and need to be replaced whenever you are working on them but as for the engine and turbo I wouldn't know sorry.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2013, 03:30 AM   #6
RimasRS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 SD

IMO dont worry till you can torque them... Nice intake better tell us about it... Sound, gains?
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2013, 09:56 AM   #7
flzrider
Captain
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay-K View Post
thanks, but what i get is that the message in my "black" sticker are exactly the same as what was written in the blue sticker.. just without the BMW logo and stuff. there are also some numbers on down right ..

some say it was the bolts on the turbo or engine parts? that's why it really dont make any sense if i have to replace the bolts everytime i clean my filter..

That sticker you took a picture of is only in reference to assemblies that use aluminum bolts. The sticker is only placed on the intake tube because it is highly visible, not because the intake specifically uses aluminum bolts. So, in short, you are okay.
      07-09-2013, 10:43 AM   #8
Jay-K
Brigadier General
Indonesia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by flzrider View Post
That sticker you took a picture of is only in reference to assemblies that use aluminum bolts. The sticker is only placed on the intake tube because it is highly visible, not because the intake specifically uses aluminum bolts. So, in short, you are okay.
thanks man,
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2013, 10:44 AM   #9
Jay-K
Brigadier General
Indonesia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RimasRS View Post
IMO dont worry till you can torque them... Nice intake better tell us about it... Sound, gains?
i'm really sorry, i wish i could, i bought the car second handed directly with the afe intake.. so i never tried the oem before..
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2013, 02:38 PM   #10
RimasRS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 SD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay-K View Post
i'm really sorry, i wish i could, i bought the car second handed directly with the afe intake.. so i never tried the oem before..
ok never mind... just enjoy it
Appreciate 0