BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-19-2010, 09:36 AM   #45
msos
always been a BMW fan.........
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Porsche 997

downshifts are VERY quick.......but no exprerience so for with High RPM downshifts as its being broken in under BMW quidelines.....sorry
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2010, 12:24 PM   #46
perral1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '11 135i Vert DCT LMB/Blk

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxnix View Post
No reason at all to be sorry. Not everyone wants someone else to abuse one's car!

It says "Twin Power Turbo" so is it an N54? Or Twin Scroll Turbo? Don't you hate dumb marketing types?

You have convinced me to take another long hard look at the 135i. Congratulations on your car.
Twin Power Turbo is the twin-scroll turbo in the N55. I agree, it seems deliberately misleading IMO.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2010, 07:37 PM   #47
msos
United_States
Rep

Ok 300+ miles now......

No idea on the turbo engine name (I agree its all quite misleading).......you all seem to know more than me.....all I know is it drives beautifully....Previous car was 6speed Audi RS4 with 420hp on tap it did not seem to be much faster than the 135......

Power is very smooth and very consistent all the way up to 100mph....and that is only pushing it to about 4K rpm......cant wait til the car is broken in.....0 complaints so far.......and this is moving to a 40K car from a 70K car........
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2010, 09:51 PM   #48
dextran
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 97 Honda Prelude

I would love to know your average mpg. Considering the N55 is more efficient and you're babying it right now.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2010, 08:37 PM   #49
JS135i
The Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: SOLD: 135i - Black/Black

Garage List
2011 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dextran View Post
I would love to know your average mpg. Considering the N55 is more efficient and you're babying it right now.
I am on my second tank of gas and if the trip computer can be believed I am averaging 26.3 mpg. Albeit conversative driving and some freeway and two lane. THe DCT is very eager, under light acceleration, to shift so that by the time I am going 35mph it is in D5 and headed for D6.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2010, 08:55 PM   #50
msos
United_States
Rep

960 miles

Getting close now to break in period end!!!!!!!! Shifting is very smooth and no issues to report. Only another week or so and we have full performance report.....................
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2010, 09:01 PM   #51
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpstinnett View Post
I am on my second tank of gas and if the trip computer can be believed I am averaging 26.3 mpg. Albeit conversative driving and some freeway and two lane. THe DCT is very eager, under light acceleration, to shift so that by the time I am going 35mph it is in D5 and headed for D6.
Hmm.. I'm wondering if it can be believed as well. That's very interesting if so.
      05-03-2010, 09:26 PM   #52
MyCorvette
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 750i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpstinnett View Post

Last night I went for a 90 mile pure highway trip, the computer said I am averaging 25.8 mpg.

I am still in break-in period (200 miles odo), so during the trip I was varying speed between 55 and 80 mph, engine rpm approx 1800 - 3000 (not always D7, sometimes D5 or D6)
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2010, 10:49 PM   #53
perral1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '11 135i Vert DCT LMB/Blk

Quote:
Originally Posted by msos View Post
Getting close now to break in period end!!!!!!!! Shifting is very smooth and no issues to report. Only another week or so and we have full performance report.....................
Sweet!

When you do get there, could you perhaps settle some questions that have been going around?

1) When in M mode, when you floor the gas (past the resistance point), does it downshift? IE what's known as kickdown, does it work in M mode?

2) Will it hold redline? I've read that it'll shift up for you after a little bit, maybe a few seconds or so. I know it's a lot to ask for you to hold the car at redline for any length of time though.

3) Is there any delay when downshifting 2 gears at once? This one is a lot more subjective, of course, because what seems quick to one person may seem slow to another, but any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks for the info! It helps make the wait for my far a little easier. At least, I think it does. It might actually be making me more excited and thus more anxious to get it!
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2010, 11:07 PM   #54
MyCorvette
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 750i

Quote:
Originally Posted by perral1 View Post
Sweet!

3) Is there any delay when downshifting 2 gears at once? This one is a lot more subjective, of course, because what seems quick to one person may seem slow to another, but any thoughts would be appreciated.
I think I can answer this question right now. I tried it on highway, was doing D7 gear. Pressed the gas a little bit harder, and almost at the same time (I mean really really short time) I felt the car get a 'boost' and accelerates. I knew it was downshifted, but to my amaze: I immediately look at the LCD and found it was already in D5 (D7 -> D5).

So in short, it actually downshifted two gears in the time frame that I though it can only do only one gear change.

ps. I followed the manual's break-in period instruction, the engine never went past 4.5k rpm.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2010, 06:59 PM   #55
SCMike
[ex-Stilyaga]
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too slowly...

Keep on keeping us posted as you do the 135i DCT strip-tease....fascinating stuff! You are pushing me closer and closer to actually entertaining the thought of replacing the E46 M3 w/SMG with a new 135i.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2010, 12:44 AM   #56
Alext
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: B M W

If you like to do a quick take off, like at the lights etc, I dont think the DCT will be any good as you need to set it to use launch control first which can be a bit of a chore. The car also needs to be fully warmed up for this too.

With a manual you can easily slip the clutch a little or traditional step auto quickly brake boost. I am not talking full drag strip launches by the way.

Let us know how you find fast take-offs.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2010, 06:38 AM   #57
JS135i
The Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: SOLD: 135i - Black/Black

Garage List
2011 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BForbes View Post
Hmm.. I'm wondering if it can be believed as well. That's very interesting if so.
I refilled. Actual miles 237, gas to full 9.7 = 25.21 for the second tank.
Will check again. The instant mileage shows good mileage while driving since the DCT is so eager to upshift. Due to the torque it rarely downshifts for acceleration.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2010, 06:58 AM   #58
msos
United_States
Rep

Not sure how much you are pushing your cars, but I do about 80% highway driving and only pushing to about 4K on shifting and about 60% of the time I have left it in auto mode and I am only averaging 20.2mpg.......I am sure once I start pushing the rpms.........(only about a week more til 1200 miles) I will dip below 20mpg.........
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2010, 07:04 AM   #59
pDz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135

Quote:
Not sure how much you are pushing your cars, but I do about 80% highway driving and only pushing to about 4K on shifting and about 60% of the time I have left it in auto mode and I am only averaging 20.2mpg.......I am sure once I start pushing the rpms.........(only about a week more til 1200 miles) I will dip below 20mpg.........
pretty good mileage numbers no matter what.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2010, 06:19 PM   #60
msos
United_States
Rep

1150 miles..............the true fun really begins in the next few days!!

Reading owners manual tonight regarding break in to be sure I am not going to screw things up now I have waited 3 weeks+......ordered my track tires and wheels today (Toyo R888 and Breyton GTS-R silver) for NASA Track day Homestead 5/22............cant wait!
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2010, 07:30 PM   #61
ennislaw
NCO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BSM 135i M-Sport

Quote:
Interesting, I have a 2010 135i with MT which is averaging 22.6 with about 1600+ miles. I limited the revs to 3500 during break-in, although I did hit 4500 accidentally two times. Most of my driving is mixed town and highway miles, top mileage maybe 40 per trip. I've been keeping separate gas mileage records on my iPhone (Road Trip) and the mileage between fill-ups vary as much as 4 or more mpg (no doubt due to the fuel nozzle not fitting properly into the tank filler neck), however the OBC seems spot on when compared to the overall average of the Road Trip app. Lots of 1Addicts say the mileage improves after break-in, so I'd be curious to know how your mileage runs, I haven't seen much improvement on mine yet. Just to note, it appears the 2011 DCT 135i is rated the same EPA mileage as the 2010 manual.

Even with all this talk about mileage, it seems nearly impossible to keep from dipping into the turbos. Keep up the posts!

pge
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2010, 08:20 AM   #62
pDz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135

The track time will definitely pressure test the DCT.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2010, 11:33 AM   #63
msos
United_States
Rep

1250 miles.......officially able to drive it to its limit...

Okay now we are talking........First impressions...........perfectly smooth/seamless shifting under full acceleration(to about 5500rpm). Unbelievable, in fact any smoother and you would feel nothing at all.......... which makes me see why new Ferrari 458 & PDK systems @ Porsche are getting such rave reviews even from the enthusiasts.......

Coming recently from what I thought was quite a technologically advanced car (2007 Audi RS4), its 6 speed system was kinda clunky and slow for those who a looking to seek out maximum track style performance.......Personally for every day driving I think I would still be torn between the 6 speed manual, but as this is also a "track toy" (usually about 6 Driving Events on track per year) the DCT is 100% for sure the way to go.......Even for those days when you simply must be on the phone or are just sitting in traffic I love the fact that the auto mode can simply take over.........

I had a conversation with a friend who just doesnot get the paddle shift thing.....but I can tell you after 30 years of driving manual transmissions, there is not a driver (even race car types) who can shift as quickly, smoothly as this DCT system....... and if they are even close they are definitely pushing the limits of human capabilities and almost certainly putting serious stress on the clutch systems of their vehicles. Yes for most who cares.....the difference is irrelevant, but for those who every 0.1 second counts........there is no substitute (BMW DCT is the way to go). This tranny has me sold for those who want the best current techology with the fastest possible and smoothest shifts)....

One big issue I have so far is accleration from 1-2 while turning the wheel, is kind of difficult as the paddles move with the wheel so your right hand is at a weird angle to pull the paddle if you have the wheel at a sharp angle while wanting to shift........this is going to take some practice.....but other than that......no regrets........The real test is gonna come in 2 weeks at Homestead Miami with its first track outing (Breyton GTSr and Toyo R888's with stock suspension set up)...........Cant wait for that!
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2010, 02:26 PM   #64
M34lnch
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 440i

Quote:
Okay now we are talking........

One big issue I have so far is accleration from 1-2 while turning the wheel, is kind of difficult as the paddles move with the wheel so your right hand is at a weird angle to pull the paddle if you have the wheel at a sharp angle while wanting to shift........!
Why not just turn the steering wheel with your left hand and shift with the tranny lever using your right hand from 1-2?
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2010, 04:00 PM   #65
Elsabor67
aiming for 450.....
United_States
Rep
Drives: Totaled :-(

Garage List
2009 135i  [10.00]
That is alot of great info. Now i'm really interested to test drive one with DCT.
      05-08-2010, 10:58 PM   #66
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Garage List
Quote:
Okay now we are talking........First impressions...........perfectly smooth/seamless shifting under full acceleration(to about 5500rpm). Unbelievable, in fact any smoother and you would feel nothing at all.......... which makes me see why new Ferrari 458 & PDK systems @ Porsche are getting such rave reviews even from the enthusiasts.......

Coming recently from what I thought was quite a technologically advanced car (2007 Audi RS4), its 6 speed system was kinda clunky and slow for those who a looking to seek out maximum track style performance.......Personally for every day driving I think I would still be torn between the 6 speed manual, but as this is also a "track toy" (usually about 6 Driving Events on track per year) the DCT is 100% for sure the way to go.......Even for those days when you simply must be on the phone or are just sitting in traffic I love the fact that the auto mode can simply take over.........

I had a conversation with a friend who just doesnot get the paddle shift thing.....but I can tell you after 30 years of driving manual transmissions, there is not a driver (even race car types) who can shift as quickly, smoothly as this DCT system....... and if they are even close they are definitely pushing the limits of human capabilities and almost certainly putting serious stress on the clutch systems of their vehicles. Yes for most who cares.....the difference is irrelevant, but for those who every 0.1 second counts........there is no substitute (BMW DCT is the way to go). This tranny has me sold for those who want the best current techology with the fastest possible and smoothest shifts)....

One big issue I have so far is accleration from 1-2 while turning the wheel, is kind of difficult as the paddles move with the wheel so your right hand is at a weird angle to pull the paddle if you have the wheel at a sharp angle while wanting to shift........this is going to take some practice.....but other than that......no regrets........The real test is gonna come in 2 weeks at Homestead Miami with its first track outing (Breyton GTSr and Toyo R888's with stock suspension set up)...........Cant wait for that!
Any info on the question above?

"Will it hold redline? I've read that it'll shift up for you after a little bit, maybe a few seconds or so. I know it's a lot to ask for you to hold the car at redline for any length of time though."

Will the DCT simple redline if you don't shift, or will it shift for you if you are slamming the needle.