BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-27-2007, 10:24 PM   #23
mkiiieustyle
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: mk3 vr6 jetta, soon to be 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ~ View Post

I remember going UP the road to Big Bear Mountain really fast in a turbo MX-6 GT at night, popping the hood, and seeing the turbocharger GLOWING ORANGE. It was so hot, it was emitting visible light. Oil life has to be shortened in such high heat conditions.

ha my 91 626 GT did that too:thumbup:
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2007, 12:43 AM   #24
S62PWR
BMW CCA# 90345
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i Cpe 6 speed

Guys, thanks for the props. After reading the UOA reports on e90post, I think it makes sense to do a break in change and then 5K changes thereafter. I think the people who are consuming oil are not breaking in the engines properly. Follow the advise in the manual to 1,250 miles, change the oil, then DRIVE THE CRAP OUT OF IT. Obviously, wait till the engine oil is up to temperature before doing so, ALWAYS. Otherwise, the rings don't seal properly. Then use your head, cool the engine down by cruising easy for a few miles before shutting down. REPEAT for a 1000 miles or so (isn't this fun!!) Just my .02 cents. Always worked for me. BTW, a lot of arm chair engineers over there at E90post, but I guess that's the internet. At least we're getting some UOA figures for the N54 now. Worth keeping an eye out on this. ITMT, 5K oil changes for me. That is, when I get my 135i :tongue:
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2007, 12:30 PM   #25
VegasBimmer
Bimmer Freak
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfsburgerMitFries View Post

As a side note, most oils advertized as synthetics today are not really synthetic (including Valvoline), they are group III hydrocracked oils (highly refined rather than true synthetics). Mobil 1 is really the only widely and easily available oil that is still a true group IV polyalphaolefin base synthetic.
Way to put the scientific smack down on that one WolfsburgerMitFries!

For the thread: I have always changed oil in my BMWs at 4k - 5k miles. BMWs now have a fairly good sensor system in them that monitors usage of the vehicle and adjusts maintenance intervals based on usage. I drive my automatic transmission car in Sport mode all the time because the shift patterns around town match what I would do if I had a manual. As a result, my car asks for service more frequently because it thinks it is getting driven harder with the higher shift points (which it is on some occassions). Because of this, I have had more scheduled services under the warranty period. Which is nice because they are all free! And by free I mean everything including brake pads, windshield wipers and ALL fluids. BMW warranty/service is truly painless.

So, enjoy the car, keep the oil fresh even if you have to pay for the occasional oil change and drive it like it was meant to be driven.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2007, 02:21 PM   #26
mexglx
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
I drive my automatic transmission car in Sport mode all the time because the shift patterns around town match what I would do if I had a manual. As a result, my car asks for service more frequently because it thinks it is getting driven harder with the higher shift points (which it is on some occassions).
I know they are completely different engines and fuels and uses but extended oil drain intervals are nothing new in the comercial truck business. 15 liter diesels from our company have varying oil change intervals based on fuel burn. Severe duty or < 5.5 mpg = 15K intervals, 5.5-6.5 is considered normal duty with 25K intervals. Anything > 6.5 mpg is considered light duty and they can go 35k. If you use our "special" synthetic then 45k is a possibility.

I have customers who operate on 45,000 (Yes 45K) oil drain intervals. Most operate on around 25k. Different oils provide different capabilities. If you are really concerned you can always send your oil off to a lab for oil analysis and see what its doing. I truly believe that if you drive like miss daisy you can probably do the BMW recommended intervals w/o problems. But if you drive like me and its severe duty, you may want to do it sooner. Its not like its that expensive right? How much is a BMW oil change? Its $59 at VW for a synthetic Castrol with the catridge style filter.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2007, 04:46 PM   #27
Sherifftruman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

BMW oil changes are double or triple that the last time I heard. Still, you can do it yourself too.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2007, 01:36 PM   #28
VegasBimmer
Bimmer Freak
Rep
Drives:

Well, I just crossed the 53K mark and had my oil changed as part of Service 2 (just missed getting it done within the free service period). 7 quarts of BMW synthetic and a filter ran $65 at the dealer. Its really not much less doing it yourself at about $50 - $55 for Castrol or Mobil1 with a filter. Neither is it any harder to do yourself. I find its less of a hassle to spend 15 minutes swapping oil than to schedule a service, drive to the dealer, wait for the car. I only do dealer oil changes at full services, otherwise do it myself.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2007, 01:44 PM   #29
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexglx View Post
.... I truly believe that if you drive like miss daisy you can probably do the BMW recommended intervals w/o problems....

That accounts for probably 90% of us 1er purchasers. :wink:

I'm sure the engines you are talking about do not have much more displacement than the 3.0l N54, but have 3 times the amount of oil in them and never reach anywhere near 8k rpm, allowing them to have much longer oil change intervals.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2007, 05:13 AM   #30
manj
E90s DJ
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 323i

My new golf goes in at 8000km or 6 months which ever one comes first its in the book and the mechanic and the my salesmen told me to do it and from what i see the car is doing well and 10 - 15k for a v6 sounds about right
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2007, 11:01 AM   #31
mkiiieustyle
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: mk3 vr6 jetta, soon to be 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by manj View Post
My new golf goes in at 8000km or 6 months which ever one comes first its in the book and the mechanic and the my salesmen told me to do it and from what i see the car is doing well and 10 - 15k for a v6 sounds about right

i have a MK3 vr6 jetta right now, and i change my oil every 4k on the dot. with 140k on the clock i like to change it early to keep good fresh oil in there.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2007, 11:05 AM   #32
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

There's an old story that goes to the effect of a guy was taking his car into a New York City service garage where they had advertized an oil change special, "Leave your car and we'll change the oil for $19.95, pick it up after work and off you go!!" Well after having taken his car in for an oil change every day that week the garage owner asked him Friday afternoon why he thought he needed to change his oil every day. The guy answered, "Oil change? Hell, where else can I park all day in NYC for $19.95?" ; -)
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2007, 11:42 AM   #33
ibeam81
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 EBII M235i, 2004 Acura TL

Quote:
Originally Posted by atr_hugo View Post
There's an old story that goes to the effect of a guy was taking his car into a New York City service garage where they had advertized an oil change special, "Leave your car and we'll change the oil for $19.95, pick it up after work and off you go!!" Well after having taken his car in for an oil change every day that week the garage owner asked him Friday afternoon why he thought he needed to change his oil every day. The guy answered, "Oil change? Hell, where else can I park all day in NYC for $19.95?" ; -)
LOL... It's probably an urban legend, but still a great story nonetheless. Thanks for sharing.
Appreciate 0