BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-25-2011, 05:11 PM   #23
ModBargainsTech
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 335i/E90 335i/ E82 135i/

Quote:
Originally Posted by thez99 View Post
Even without a tune I can get into my car, floor it and smile big time. Dont try n sell a very NON pnp tune in a PNP thread. The COBB AP is a truly pnp tune, the JB's you need loads of time and instructions dicking around all inside the engine and the ecu compartment, all of which does NOT make me smile.
I wasn't trying to sell anything, but only suggested that he look into the JB4 because he was asking for any kind of insight/information for a plug & play chip for his vehicle.

The JB4 is still very much a PLUG N PLAY unit - it's just "plugged" in the ECU compartment vs. OBD II port. I would have to disagree with you that it takes "loads of time and instructions/dicking around all inside engine". Did you perhaps get the pinout version? The installation of the plug and play version doesn't take more than 30 minutes even by a novice installer. I'm pretty sure there are JB3/4 owners on this forum who can chime in and agree to this.

-Frank
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2011, 11:06 PM   #24
thez99
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi A4

Garage List
2013 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Fact is is the JB pieces are NOT pnp, plug n play is exactly what the COBB units are, you plug in and boom. The JB pieces no matter how easy you say it is, is really NOT that easy and you still have to take apart half the shit in the engine compartment to get to it, then pull apart you're whole ecu. Even with instructions, that is NOT something I wanna do. Others may not have a problem with doing so but I chose the path of least resistance when It comes to tuning a complex engine setup. If you are off your warranty and dont mind spending time rippin ur engine apart for a tune, then by all means, otherwise a flash is what a guy like me is into.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2011, 09:16 PM   #25
ESC OFF
Major
Rep
Drives: 1M, CaymanS, 914, 500 Abarth

Just installed the COBB Stage 1 93 Octane map, 20 minute install, very good results, it's probably not for everybody but as a Plug and Play I would highly recommend it.
      01-26-2011, 09:23 PM   #26
N55_BBM
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESC OFF View Post
Just installed the COBB Stage 1 93 Octane map, 20 minute install, very good results, it's probably not for everybody but as a Plug and Play I would highly recommend it.
do you say that because of the steep price?
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2011, 09:31 PM   #27
ESC OFF
Major
Rep
Drives: 1M, CaymanS, 914, 500 Abarth

Quote:
Originally Posted by N55_BBM View Post
do you say that because of the steep price?
Not at all, I looked into GIAC which would have ended up being more $$, there was no way I was going to use a piggy back but some people prefer that route. I look at the AP like any other mod, some people will love it, some will prefer another option. To me the $$ was less important than the simplicity of install (and removal). I was also familiar with COBB from my Subie days, I never had an issue in the past and that helped my make my decision.