BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-24-2013, 07:10 PM   #23
05C4R
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazz View Post
The styling looks a bit tame compared to a 1M. The only thing that will save the 1M in the long run will be the unavailability of manual transmissions as an option.

That 2002 turbo looks cool but the lag on those is terrible. Also the wide arches aren't moulded in on the originals, they are screwed or riveted to the body with a sealing strip around the edge. He's lucky to get one of those if it is a real 2002 Turbo.
apparently its one of two in Oz. it was auctioned a couple weeks ago. the plates in the engine bay look legit, 1974 model. boost gauge looks super cool on the dash. tiny bit of rust on the doors. i'm not an expert on them so i'm happy just to believe him
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2013, 02:44 AM   #24
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian///M View Post
The e-diff was enough for 'sporty' cars before. LSDs aren't really required for a street car. Perhaps the option is just a way of BMW making more money from options

LSD is a great option to offer though.
E-diff enough?.. yeah, sure, for the daily grocery getter haha... and better than nothing at all.. but good in general? nooooooooo

>
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian///M View Post
Well to put another way... It will cannibalise M car sales. The gaps is closing between the two segments.
mmm i know where you're coming from, but i don't neccessarily agree

that's like saying a 135i would cannibalize 1M sales... there's nothing about the 1M you can't do to a 135i for cheaper.

or that the 1M would cannibalise M3 sales, because it's so much faster.

they simply have to make the M1/M2 *THAT* much better than the lower models.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2013, 03:58 AM   #25
gazz
///Mbassador
Australia
Rep
Drives: The horse I fell off

Quote:
Originally Posted by TS135i View Post
The 1M doesn't need saving because its a discontinued model, or am I reading something else in your statement.
Sorry, I should have been clearer, I meant that it will be saved as a standout model compared to up and comers if it ends up being the last manual option car, ( even though it was a mandatory option ). Actually that is a pretty meaningless point, only history will bear out the 1Ms status as significant or otherwise. It may have some significance now but that will only last until some new gunslinger comes into town and blows it away.
I see a rider approaching and I think it's an M235i and he's mean and fast and out for revenge for the death of his big brother M3.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2013, 05:19 AM   #26
mcmn
Captain
Rep
Drives: MY10 AW 135i

I want a 2 series. It's the closest I'll get to my dads tinkering days with the 2002.
Appreciate 0