BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)
 





 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-27-2012, 09:37 AM   #265
Obioban
Emperor
235
Rep
1,578
Posts

Drives: 05 M3, 95 M3 euro, 01 M5, e91
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: West Chester, PA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LH2 View Post
New guy here... Is the 128i's NA straight six history for the upcoming 2013 model?

I'm thinking the 128i is the car for me, with at least Sport & Xenons,... but it'll have to be a Steptronic, since the wife will end up driving it on occasion. Is that a good transmission, as automatics go, or should I try to get the 6MT if at all possible?
The NA 6 is being replaced with a turbo 4.

Get a manual. She'll suffer for a month or two to be happier for years after.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2012, 09:41 AM   #266
the1andonly
Lieutenant
31
Rep
539
Posts

Drives: black on black 128i manual
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: midwest

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LH2 View Post
New guy here... Is the 128i's NA straight six history for the upcoming 2013 model?

I'm thinking the 128i is the car for me, with at least Sport & Xenons,... but it'll have to be a Steptronic, since the wife will end up driving it on occasion. Is that a good transmission, as automatics go, or should I try to get the 6MT if at all possible?
The driving experince between a manual and auto 128i is night and day. Its probably the best manual ive ever driven. manual 128 vs auto 135, id take the 128 everytime
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2012, 10:09 AM   #267
AW128i
Major
AW128i's Avatar
United_States
30
Rep
1,002
Posts

Drives: E82 N51
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Southeastern, PA

iTrader: (1)

Send a message via AIM to AW128i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
The NA 6 is being replaced with a turbo 4.

Get a manual. She'll suffer for a month or two to be happier for years after.
Or he'll suffer because the wifey will not like it. In my experience, people who are iffy about driving a manual transmission revert back to an auto if they have the opportunity. The auto 128i isn't horrible, it's just not quite as fun as the manual version. Don't be fooled, however, you can have plenty of fun in an auto.

My solution to the somewhat lazy behaviors of the GM-sourced auto in the 128i has been to drive it in Steptronic mode whenever I'm not cruising the highway or driving in steady-state traffic. The only reason I was looking for a new car when I get my 1er was because I was tired of driving a manual in 3 hours of stop-and-go traffic five days a week. Looking back, had I really thought long and hard about it, I probably would've stuck with a stick shift. But, there are plenty of days when I'm thankful that I can stick it in Drive and just go.
__________________
"The Camaro's V6 makes so much horsepower because them horses are trying as hard as they can to run the fuck away from that ugly ass car." -Golden3ye
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2012, 10:13 AM   #268
dorkdog
Big Mouth No Filter
dorkdog's Avatar
United_States
32
Rep
586
Posts

Drives: 128i Montego Blue 6MT Sport
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Puyallup WA

iTrader: (0)

Same issue as OP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LH2 View Post
New guy here... Is the 128i's NA straight six history for the upcoming 2013 model?

I'm thinking the 128i is the car for me, with at least Sport & Xenons,... but it'll have to be a Steptronic, since the wife will end up driving it on occasion. Is that a good transmission, as automatics go, or should I try to get the 6MT if at all possible?
It's the same issue as 135/128. It's what YOU want or need; not what everyone else thinks. If you buy a Steptronic, your car (hopefully not you) may be called lame because you have a 'slush box' as referenced by those who have had them as loaners. If you buy the manual, you may be told that the manual is notchy and doesn't let you get the full experience like the Step does, etc. it's the way of this and similar forums.

I buy manual transmissions because that's what I learned on. Hard to let 40 years of 'advice' from dad drift by the wayside. I like a manual because it is familiar and comfortable, not because it is more fun or more convenient. That being said, I found the Steptronic very nice to drive, and I can see why someone would want one... just not me I bought a car once with an auto trans (granted not a step) and I was absolutely miserable in it. After the blush was off the rose (4000 miles) I got rid of it.

Returning to the spirit of the OP, 135/128 or option/no option is a personal choice. If you feel the desire to express those choices, expect that others will belittle them on occasion due to remorse, insecurity, or chest thumping. It's what we do.

Be sure and let us know what you end up with and don't forget a pic or two (I should talk, I have yet to post pics of my 128 but it's not 'ready' yet )
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2012, 11:16 AM   #269
Bimmer-Bob
!
Bimmer-Bob's Avatar
United_States
315
Rep
3,137
Posts

Drives: 2010 128i
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Anacortes, WA

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AW128i View Post
I was tired of driving a manual in 3 hours of stop-and-go traffic five days a week.
Wow, that would be pretty miserable no matter what you were driving.

It looks like these days the manual is a no-cost option. That's kind of a shame, because when I bought you had to pay extra for an auto. I mean, I would've ordered the manual no matter what, but of course it's always nice to be saving some dough (~$1200 in this case, IIRC). Maybe that's why the base price of the 128i seems to be creeping up? It used to be that opting for the manual was a sure fire way to shave a thousand bucks or so off a new car's final price, but many makes seem to be eliminating the price advantage of the MT.

Ironically, if I were set on getting an AT 1er right now, that might push me towards the 135i - just because of the DCT. It sounds pretty cool, for an AT. But I still prefer a 128i 6MT.
__________________
____________________________
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2012, 12:03 PM   #270
coda72
Private First Class
coda72's Avatar
United_States
2
Rep
186
Posts

Drives: 2012 128i convertible
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Glenside, PA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
The NA 6 is being replaced with a turbo 4.
Not sure if this is happening for the 2013 model year or not. We haven't heard much about the new 1 series (which will become the new 2 series). My guess is we have at least one more year of the current model with the NA 6 engine. The turbo 4 might not make it out until 2014 or maybe even 2015.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2012, 01:06 PM   #271
AKBimmerxi
Enlisted Member
United_States
2
Rep
38
Posts

Drives: 2012 128i M-sport/318iC/325xi
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Georgia, USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozola View Post
Joe

I remember you from the Ti list and always respected your comments. Having come from a Ti myself, I believe that you will thoroughly enjoy the power of the 128. But in all honestly you still miss the Ti toss-ability. A manual might have changed my mind.

In fact, I missed my Ti so much I bought one from my son..



Frederic.
I'm amazed that some Ti owners are still around, I did ED for my 1996 318ti Sport in Alaska Blue...I miss that car but have never found another. I still have the ol' Ti Club hat and sticker. If anyone comes across a Alaska/Avus blue sport 5speed give a shout
__________________
My Garage:
2012 128i M-sport LMB/6MT (enroute)
2001 325Xi / Sport / 5MT / Bilstein Sports / H&R
1991 318i (M42 motor) / 5MT
1991 318iC / 5MT / 47k original (S)miles
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2012, 02:21 PM   #272
Obioban
Emperor
235
Rep
1,578
Posts

Drives: 05 M3, 95 M3 euro, 01 M5, e91
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: West Chester, PA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AW128i View Post
Or he'll suffer because the wifey will not like it. In my experience, people who are iffy about driving a manual transmission revert back to an auto if they have the opportunity. The auto 128i isn't horrible, it's just not quite as fun as the manual version. Don't be fooled, however, you can have plenty of fun in an auto.
I've had the opposite experience-- most people who are iffy about manuals are iffy because they've never owned one, so they've never had a chance to get proficient. It's pretty much impossible to get actually good at driving stick without owning a stick car and DDing it for a couple months. Until you're good at it, it's not really a better experience than the auto.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-Bob View Post
It looks like these days the manual is a no-cost option. That's kind of a shame, because when I bought you had to pay extra for an auto. I mean, I would've ordered the manual no matter what, but of course it's always nice to be saving some dough (~$1200 in this case, IIRC). Maybe that's why the base price of the 128i seems to be creeping up? It used to be that opting for the manual was a sure fire way to shave a thousand bucks or so off a new car's final price, but many makes seem to be eliminating the price advantage of the MT.
The manual is still lighter and more involving than the slush box.

DCT feels like an auto, it just doesn't have the parasitic loss of the slush box. At least back with SMG you still had to work for it.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2012, 08:38 PM   #273
roo97ss
Captain
22
Rep
814
Posts

Drives: 135i,GLE450, Camaro SS, Ram
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Delaware

iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorkdog View Post
It's the same issue as 135/128. It's what YOU want or need; not what everyone else thinks....Returning to the spirit of the OP, 135/128 or option/no option is a personal choice. If you feel the desire to express those choices, expect that others will belittle them on occasion due to remorse, insecurity, or chest thumping. It's what we do.
This is the best bit of advice i've seen in this post. Buy the car for YOU, not what everyone else recommends. Everyone will give you a biased opinion. One of my favorite cars of all time was an e46 zhp. A little more powerful than the 128, a fair bit better handling from the factory, but overall it was an excellent balance of the high revving i6, tidy dimensions, and a oneness with the car, and the only thing you can get from BMW that's close is the 128 (or z4 but then no rear seat or trunk).

I don't look down on the 128 at all. A few years ago the 230 hp was the premium e46, now it's nothing? I went 135 simply because i knew i'd be tuning it and while the power difference from 128 to 135 is noticable (probably 6-7 mph in the 1/4) it's dramatic from a 128 to a tuned 135 (probably 14 mph in the 1/4). Also i won't be keeping this car out of warranty that's for sure. Further I went step, why? it's as fast and for my daily driver i can sit in traffic, talk on the bluetooth, eat my lunch etc. I love the manual trans, have one in my wild weekend warrior, but for an everyday car the step 135 is right for ME and that's all that matters...
__________________
13 135i DCT, 10 Camaro SS 2.9 whipple and stuff, 16 GLE450 coupe, 16 ram quad cab
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2012, 09:50 PM   #274
1speedbike
Colonel
1speedbike's Avatar
145
Rep
2,938
Posts

Drives: 2008 BMW 135i
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: NJ, NYC, Baltimore

iTrader: (15)

Quote:
Originally Posted by roo97ss View Post

I don't look down on the 128 at all. A few years ago the 230 hp was the premium e46, now it's nothing?

Exactly. I think these "horsepower wars" are getting pretty ridiculous. Ever since the 90's, every company with a market in the US has been upping the output of all the cars to ridiculous levels. Do we need a 580 HP camaro from the factory? Or a 650 HP Mustang from the factory? Fuck no. That's a recipe for disaster on the roads. If you TUNE your Mustang/Camaro to those levels, I'm fairly certain you know what you're doing and in all likelihood can handle that power. I've seen M3 owners who don't even know how many cylinders their car has. They just bought it because "ooo BMW M3!" I've seen GT500 owners who don't know who Carroll Shelby is (RIP). Yeah, that's random knowledge, but it's basic stuff about the CAR YOU BOUGHT and don't seem to really care about other than "look at me in my car!" How many of these irresponsible idiots are going to endanger everyone else with their 500+ factory horses (400+ in the M3's case)?

You don't need scores of horsepower to be an enthusiast and love your car. If you're an enthusiast with a lower-output car then that's even more awesome. You're obviously not just in it for the dick extension.

I test drove a manual 128i and that's what made me fall in love with the car. I ended up with an automatic 135i due to a few reasons that kept me from holding on to my custom ordered car. I'm happy now, and I love the power, but it's not the same as the happiness the 128i gave me while accelerating and changing gears and man it just felt awesome. The 128i driver who appreciates their car (and didn't buy it because it's the cheapest thing with a roundel on the front) is ten times more an "enthusiast" than the guy who buys the auto 135i and mashes the gas pedal in "D" mode (not even Manual mode! I don't get how people with this AWESOME, fast, responsive steptronic don't use the manual mode and just guess what gear they're in!). Maybe that's the ONE thing I'd say is a legitimate complaint about the 128i. The ZF auto in the 135i is leagues beyond the GM auto in the 128i. And this isn't right.

Yes, tuning is fun, and 135is (and pretty much all turbo cars) are so easily tunable. It's a hobby, and if you don't want to break the bank turbo cars are easier on the wallet (somewhat negated by the "BMW tax"). But unless you're one of those "housewives of NJ" I see every week wearing their oversized white sunglasses in the 128i their wall street husband bought them, anyone who dismisses a 128i or it's driver is a complete tool and a moron.
__________________

Year 1 of the 1
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2012, 11:42 PM   #275
TheSt|G
Resident Tamed Racing Driver
TheSt|G's Avatar
United_States
185
Rep
4,736
Posts

Drives: 911, 130is, E39 M5, E36 M3
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Outside Philly

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by coda72 View Post
Not sure if this is happening for the 2013 model year or not. We haven't heard much about the new 1 series (which will become the new 2 series). My guess is we have at least one more year of the current model with the NA 6 engine. The turbo 4 might not make it out until 2014 or maybe even 2015.
2013 Europe is the new body style with the turdbro 4, 2013 US is still the E82 with the I6.
__________________
2005 E46 M3 Interlagos/Cinnamon with Sunroof Delete
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 02:15 AM   #276
golf_234
Captain
39
Rep
685
Posts

Drives: E46, E90, F30
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Santa Monica

iTrader: (0)

coming from a 135i owner, i think the 128i is actually a better long term choice when optioned properly. i would take a 6MT 128i fully loaded white with the two tone brown interior over the same car in 135 trim. (pocketing the cash of course) the N/A bmw inline 6 is a tried and true motor. the turbos are fun but eh. the 128 is just a better keeper of a car imo. esp. with fuel prices and energy concerns the way they are. that being said i can't say i don't love my car. any way you break down the 1 series it is a win situation.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 02:32 AM   #277
TheSt|G
Resident Tamed Racing Driver
TheSt|G's Avatar
United_States
185
Rep
4,736
Posts

Drives: 911, 130is, E39 M5, E36 M3
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Outside Philly

iTrader: (2)

^^^

Pretty much what I did. Avoid the turbos and the iDrive and you skip the majority of problems with modern BMWs, and instead stick with what they have learned how to make over the last 20-30 years.
__________________
2005 E46 M3 Interlagos/Cinnamon with Sunroof Delete
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 12:14 PM   #278
coda72
Private First Class
coda72's Avatar
United_States
2
Rep
186
Posts

Drives: 2012 128i convertible
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Glenside, PA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1speedbike View Post
The 128i driver who appreciates their car (and didn't buy it because it's the cheapest thing with a roundel on the front) is ten times more an "enthusiast" than the guy who buys the auto 135i and mashes the gas pedal in "D" mode (not even Manual mode!
At the time I ordered my 128 vert, it was more expensive than a similarly equipped 328 sedan. So, the 128 is not always the cheapest option. Certainly if I wanted BMW's cheapest car, I would not have gotten the car I did. Ever since BMW released the 1 series in the US, I wanted a 128 vert. I jumped on it recently after hearing of the not too distant demise of the NA 6.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 01:01 PM   #279
ilikebmxbikes
Brigadier General
ilikebmxbikes's Avatar
815
Rep
4,605
Posts

Drives: S65 1M Clone & E92 M3 4.6L
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: San Francisco

iTrader: (42)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1speedbike View Post
Exactly. I think these "horsepower wars" are getting pretty ridiculous. Ever since the 90's, every company with a market in the US has been upping the output of all the cars to ridiculous levels. Do we need a 580 HP camaro from the factory? Or a 650 HP Mustang from the factory? Fuck no. That's a recipe for disaster on the roads. If you TUNE your Mustang/Camaro to those levels, I'm fairly certain you know what you're doing and in all likelihood can handle that power. I've seen M3 owners who don't even know how many cylinders their car has. They just bought it because "ooo BMW M3!" I've seen GT500 owners who don't know who Carroll Shelby is (RIP). Yeah, that's random knowledge, but it's basic stuff about the CAR YOU BOUGHT and don't seem to really care about other than "look at me in my car!" How many of these irresponsible idiots are going to endanger everyone else with their 500+ factory horses (400+ in the M3's case)?

You don't need scores of horsepower to be an enthusiast and love your car. If you're an enthusiast with a lower-output car then that's even more awesome. You're obviously not just in it for the dick extension.

I test drove a manual 128i and that's what made me fall in love with the car. I ended up with an automatic 135i due to a few reasons that kept me from holding on to my custom ordered car. I'm happy now, and I love the power, but it's not the same as the happiness the 128i gave me while accelerating and changing gears and man it just felt awesome. The 128i driver who appreciates their car (and didn't buy it because it's the cheapest thing with a roundel on the front) is ten times more an "enthusiast" than the guy who buys the auto 135i and mashes the gas pedal in "D" mode (not even Manual mode! I don't get how people with this AWESOME, fast, responsive steptronic don't use the manual mode and just guess what gear they're in!). Maybe that's the ONE thing I'd say is a legitimate complaint about the 128i. The ZF auto in the 135i is leagues beyond the GM auto in the 128i. And this isn't right.

Yes, tuning is fun, and 135is (and pretty much all turbo cars) are so easily tunable. It's a hobby, and if you don't want to break the bank turbo cars are easier on the wallet (somewhat negated by the "BMW tax"). But unless you're one of those "housewives of NJ" I see every week wearing their oversized white sunglasses in the 128i their wall street husband bought them, anyone who dismisses a 128i or it's driver is a complete tool and a moron.
well said. I think your argument extends to the 1 series as a whole.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 02:35 PM   #280
golf_234
Captain
39
Rep
685
Posts

Drives: E46, E90, F30
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Santa Monica

iTrader: (0)

let's be honest it's a win win lol. i think the main difference is if you go 128 you had better get the manual whereas the 135 is pretty nice even with the step or dct
__________________
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 02:42 PM   #281
dorkdog
Big Mouth No Filter
dorkdog's Avatar
United_States
32
Rep
586
Posts

Drives: 128i Montego Blue 6MT Sport
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Puyallup WA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by golf_234 View Post
let's be honest it's a win win lol. i think the main difference is if you go 128 you had better get the manual whereas the 135 is pretty nice even with the step or dct
...and the Sport package!
__________________
We do not inherit the Earth from our parents; we borrow it from our children
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 02:43 PM   #282
golf_234
Captain
39
Rep
685
Posts

Drives: E46, E90, F30
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Santa Monica

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorkdog View Post
...and the Sport package!
ah, yes, sport all around lol. sport premium and fully loaded all around recommended.
pretty much the only thing i long for is the two tone terracotta interior. two tone almost always > all single color imo.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 04:53 PM   #283
NorthernDancer
Captain
75
Rep
899
Posts

Drives: 325iX & 128
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Ottawa On Canada

iTrader: (3)

no regrets

no regrets in getting a 128; I've got sport pkg and power seats only (6MT) Bought it used. It was the right color and an awesome price. Recently in northern NY and Vermont on mostly 2 lane at 60 & 65pmh I got 30.9mpUSg. Next tankfull I was 2/3rds at 60/65 and 1/3rd at 80mph + 30 minutes in a traffic jam. This time 29.0mpUSg. The mechanic at the BMW dealer was very impressed, quite peppy he said and he drives them all.
No regrets
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2012, 02:13 AM   #284
smellthebeans
Lieutenant Colonel
smellthebeans's Avatar
United_States
36
Rep
1,571
Posts

Drives: LPCs
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Tide Water Region

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
1990 325i  [0.00]
No regrets...cruzes the autobahn at 120mph with room (HP) to move around slower traffic.

In order to extract maximum enjoyment this driver keeps the engine over 4,000 rpm throught the corner when the roads are dry and traffic is sparse.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2012, 06:19 PM   #285
oldbimmercoupe
New Member
0
Rep
11
Posts

Drives: 1975 3.0CS; 2011 128i MSport
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: long island

iTrader: (0)

why worry

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoral View Post
I'm thinking about getting a 2011 or ordering a 2012 128i, but I'm really struggling with the decision.

I'm sure it's would be more than enough power for me (it has more power than my current and last 2 previous BMWs), but I have this feeling I will regret not getting a 135i. I haven't driven them back to back, but with the $3K price jump of the 2012 135i, that's over $8K more.

So are all the 128i owners happy with their decision? No pangs of regret? If you could do it over again, new 128i or low mileage CPO 135i?

(FWIW, I'm looking at 6MT + M Sport for both, those are only requirements).
if you cant get in trouble with a 128 I give up on you. the price diff is just not worth it. I got the M-sport Package and its a killer car. unless you are hormonally challenged, this is all you need.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2012, 06:54 PM   #286
ragingpanda
Lieutenant
43
Rep
519
Posts

Drives: 135i
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Florida

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbimmercoupe View Post
if you cant get in trouble with a 128 I give up on you. the price diff is just not worth it. I got the M-sport Package and its a killer car. unless you are hormonally challenged, this is all you need.
Different strokes for different folks.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:06 PM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST