BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-29-2013, 03:02 PM   #1
AGAV13
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 135is (#363/586)

Painted license plate brackets

Does anyone have pictures of painted license plate brackets/know if there is a company who sells them. I would like to get an AW one for my car.
SOLD
2013 BMW 135is #363/586 - AW, Black Boston Leather w/ Exclusive Blue Stitching, Prem., Tech, DCT, Heated Seats, HK
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2013, 03:10 PM   #2
TiM235i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M235i

Garage List
2015 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Do you mean a painted frame? I bought mine here -- and it was a perfect match.

http://www.jlevisw.com/accessories/B...late-Frame.htm

2015 M235i
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2013, 04:00 PM   #3
AGAV13
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 135is (#363/586)

Not exactly what I meant but thanks for the link. I was talking about the license plate bracket that screws into the bumper. (The black plastic piece.) I think I want to either buy one or have mine painted white to blend in with the bumper better.
SOLD
2013 BMW 135is #363/586 - AW, Black Boston Leather w/ Exclusive Blue Stitching, Prem., Tech, DCT, Heated Seats, HK
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2013, 05:16 PM   #4
BLU135i
Senior Chief Petty Officer USN
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X5 35d

Bimmian has them.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2013, 05:12 PM   #5
128IB
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i

License plate braket alternatives

Bimmian does have painted brackets, but since my 128i is white and the black bracket looks ok, I decided to make lemonade since my dealer gave me lemons. For the 12 weeks it took for my car to be ordered from Germany, I constantly reminded my dealership NOT to install the plate bracket. Five minutes after the car came off the delivery truck and went over to a tech for prep, I reminded the sales staff NOT to allow the plate bracket to be installed. Everyone in that dealership knew not to install that bracket.....except the idiot (who did not look at the work order) who's job it was to install license plate brackets! Well, since I was now stuck with the damned thing, I decided to make the best of it. I considered options like a painted bracket, plugs for the holes, etc. Eventually I chose to embrace it in all its ugliness, and make it look as integrated into the car as possible. I found a plate frame that would conform to the curve of the bumper, and used nice quality stainless hardware with color matched screw head covers that mirror the hood emblem. While not my first choice, it is now something I can live with. Oh, and that dealership who screwed up.....just look at my plate!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-01-2013, 05:57 PM   #6
Stohlen
Major
Rep
Drives: AW 135i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [5.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 128IB View Post
Bimmian does have painted brackets, but since my 128i is white and the black bracket looks ok, I decided to make lemonade since my dealer gave me lemons. For the 12 weeks it took for my car to be ordered from Germany, I constantly reminded my dealership NOT to install the plate bracket. Five minutes after the car came off the delivery truck and went over to a tech for prep, I reminded the sales staff NOT to allow the plate bracket to be installed. Everyone in that dealership knew not to install that bracket.....except the idiot (who did not look at the work order) who's job it was to install license plate brackets! Well, since I was now stuck with the damned thing, I decided to make the best of it. I considered options like a painted bracket, plugs for the holes, etc. Eventually I chose to embrace it in all its ugliness, and make it look as integrated into the car as possible. I found a plate frame that would conform to the curve of the bumper, and used nice quality stainless hardware with color matched screw head covers that mirror the hood emblem. While not my first choice, it is now something I can live with. Oh, and that dealership who screwed up.....just look at my plate!
You could have just refused delivery of the car until they ordered you a new bumper and installed it properly. Then the people who ignored you would get fired and everyone would be better off. Food for thought next time.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2013, 06:36 PM   #7
128IB
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i

The dealer offered to have the bumper repaired, but would not allow for a new skin from BMW, so I opted to just live with the bracket. Knowing there was a poorly done repair up front would have bothered me more. I would have refused the car altogether, but it was a custom order, BMW may have already stopped production on the 1 series, and worst of all, they had 28K of my money as a deposit that was not refundable until the previously ordered vehicle could be sold. My solution really was the only answer in this case, but believe you me, they will NEVER hear the end of it. All I can say is that you have end up doing everyone else's job these days if you want it done right.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2013, 06:39 PM   #8
BLU135i
Senior Chief Petty Officer USN
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X5 35d

There is another member here that just had this repair done on his car at his dealer. I think it's in the cosmetic changes forum. I'd post a link but can't figure out how to do it on the iPhone app. Anyway his looks great.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2013, 09:26 PM   #9
Kouper
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is AW/Black 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 128IB View Post
The dealer offered to have the bumper repaired, but would not allow for a new skin from BMW, so I opted to just live with the bracket. Knowing there was a poorly done repair up front would have bothered me more. I would have refused the car altogether, but it was a custom order, BMW may have already stopped production on the 1 series, and worst of all, they had 28K of my money as a deposit that was not refundable until the previously ordered vehicle could be sold. My solution really was the only answer in this case, but believe you me, they will NEVER hear the end of it. All I can say is that you have end up doing everyone else's job these days if you want it done right.
128IB, Good for you for making the best of a bad situation....but question for you: I didn't think there was such thing as a non-refundable deposit in CA. Even if you put $500, $1K or $5K down, it has always been my understanding (and confirmed by the dealers) that if when the car came in I did not like it nor accept it, I would receive a full refund of my deposit. (And, I actually did receive a full refund of a $5K deposit on a Porsche I ordered but did not accept when it came in, no questions asked, a few years ago). The deposit is merely to show that I was "serious" about ordering the car. And these were custom orders also. So for my benefit, can you share how your situation was different? Thanks.

Enjoy your new propeller front plate! And.... I hope you at least received some type of credit or accessories from the dealer for your troubles and their screw up!
Appreciate 0