BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-28-2016, 04:19 PM   #1
asbrr
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 335ix M-Sport

What else - wheel/spacer fitment question

Sorry guys, hate to add to the thousands of similar questions, but I'd like to add some spacers to my car which currently sits on a B12 kit w/ Dinan plates up front, and 18" BMW style 263 wheels. I've gone through most of the sticky thread on fitment, didn't find an exact match, found a few that are close and some said no issues and some said there was a bit of rubbing. Specs are below:

Front:
18x7.5 ET49
225/40/18 Bridgestone RE760
Section Width: 9/1"
Tread Width: 8.1" (so it has relatively "rounded" shoulders)
Planned spacer: 12mm which brings the offset to ET37

Rear:
18x8.5 ET52
255/35/18 Bridgestone RE760
Section Width: 10.2"
Tread Width: 9.3" (so it has relatively "rounded" shoulders)
Planned spacer: 12mm which brings the offset to ET40

B12 kit drops the car about 10-15mm lower than M-sport, the front is only 10mm lower on mine since I have the Dinan plates which add back 5mm or so. Camber on the front is currently -1.7 both sides, and camber on the rear is about -1.6 both sides.

I would like to run a 12mm spacer front and rear, looking for fitment opinions. The front has tons of room, I have no doubt a 12mm spacer would fit just fine. It's the rear I'm concerned about, specifically the fender side. Not interested in any rolling or cutting at all.

I would go with a 10mm on the rear just to be safe, however the hub "lip" measures what looks to be just above 10mm, which means I'd have to grind it down to get a 10mm spacer to fit flush. Again, not interested. See attached pics below and tell me if I'm reading that right???? I checked both sides at the rear and they are the same - even accounting for the extra "fake" 1mm on the ruler, it looks like a 10mm spacer won't sit flush right??

On the rear fender front, what are everyone's thoughts on a 12mm spacer with my current wheel/tire setup? Will this be a very close call or is the consensus this will fit with no issue?

Thanks in advance
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-30-2016, 10:47 AM   #2
asbrr
Major
Canada
Rep

Buehler? Anyone?

I guess to summarize my 2 questions in case my blabbing confused the issue

1. Given the picture/measurement in the original post, will a 10mm spacer fit the hub lips on my car? Doesn't seem so to me but maybe i'm missing something

2. With mild lowering of about 15mm in the rear (from m-sport), and factory camber of roughly -1.6 in the rear, would a 255/35/18 on 18x8.5 ET40 fit in the rear with no fender mods? The tire is not a "wide shouldered" tire.

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2016, 03:48 PM   #3
E82MSport
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' Crimson 135i

I would recommend hub-centric spacers if you plan on running over 5mm, along with longer wheel bolts. I would not run cheap flat spacers if going this wide.

Front ET49 + 10mm spacer = ET39 (+1 tire size 225) - you might run into tire clearance to fender if 15mm lower than stock ride. More negative camber or rolling the fenders will help. Seeing as you already are at -1.7 in front it might be ok but I would measure.

Rear ET52 + 10mm spacer = ET42 (+1 tire size 255) - I would foresee more issues in the rear due to limited ability to modify the rear fenders and 15mm lower. Camber might fix this but you might be out of adjustment with the OE camber arms.

Get some washers (measure thickness) and mock up the spacing you want. You will need quite a few so get a box. You might need some longer bolts so measure the thread pitch and diameter of the OE wheel bolt and buy some long all-thread rod and cut into 6 lengths. Buy a half dozen wheel nuts with the correct tapper to mount the wheels. My quantities are assuming three per wheel and two wheels so you can see how it looks as compared to one another.

To get the height 15mm lower just have a friend sit on the front or back and measure.
Ohlins Road & Track Coilovers / Apex ARC 8's 245/255-35 MPSS / Wagner Downpipes / Wagner EVOII Intercooler / ER Charge Pipe / Forge DV / PowerFlex RSFB / PowerFlex Differential Bushings / MFactory 3.46 Torsion LSD / MHD Flasher
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2016, 09:05 AM   #4
asbrr
Major
Canada
Rep

Hm - thanks for the tips - never thought o "mock up" a spacer with some cheap hardware like that.....will look into that.

Front really seems like there is tons of room because of the camber and relatively little lowering. The dinan plates add like 5mm in height and the front doesn't seem to have dropped more than 5mm to 8mm lower than M-sport as it is. You're right on the rear, that's my bigger concern.

It's surprising that people are running 18x9.5 ET50 in the rear and a 255 section tire with no fender mods, even some people with lower than M-Sport!? That works out to 4mm *closer* to the fender than an 18x8.5 ET42 (which is basically a 10mm spacer on the rear of stock wheels)....

Maybe some people just don't mind a bit of rub or don't notice any lol
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2016, 09:43 AM   #5
asbrr
Major
Canada
Rep

UPDATE: Got the spacers in yesterday (12mm x 2 and 10mm x 2 hubcentric from BMW) and had time for a quick test fitting. My aim was to use the 10mm on the rear and 12mm on the front, and was absolutely shocked that the 10mm fit over the rear hub lips with no grinding required!

So - using my picture in the original post, if your hub lips look like that/measure like that, a 10mm BMS spacer WILL FIT with no modification.

Will post updates on final fitment over the weekend.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2016, 05:14 PM   #6
asbrr
Major
Canada
Rep

UPDATE 2: Well, the driver side rear rubs on deep dips on the angled part of the inner fender....alignment shop was never able to get the rear camber set according to factory spec (only got -1.5, factory spec for m-sport is around -1.9). Going to try that first and see if it fixes it.

Disappointed, thought for sure they would fit in the rear with a 10mm spacer considering it's 4-5mm more "inboard" than what a lot of folks run with 18x9.5 ET50 in the rear and don't seem to have issues.

Also weird that it's only the driver's side (so far I guess).
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2016, 05:27 PM   #7
JEngland
Registered
Rep
Drives: 09 135i Coupe

I also run the factory 09 135i wheels with 225/40 and 255/35 Michelin Super Sports. I have the BMW yellow springs with Koni Yellows running close to stock alignment specs.
Originally I had Nitto Evo12 tires and ran a 12mm front and 15mm rear, the rears rubbed a little so I rolled the fenders and fixed that. When I switched to the Michelins, which have a significantly wider shoulders, I had to swapped the spacers and ran the 15mm up front and the 12mm in the rear. The right rear would rub a little on hard dips. I do think that by running the 15mm up front pushes the scrub radius out to much and caused additional tracking issues so I ordered some 10mm for the rears and put the 12mm back up front and am happy with this setup. No rubbing and the front doesn't wander anymore.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2016, 10:36 AM   #8
asbrr
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEngland View Post
I also run the factory 09 135i wheels with 225/40 and 255/35 Michelin Super Sports. I have the BMW yellow springs with Koni Yellows running close to stock alignment specs.
Originally I had Nitto Evo12 tires and ran a 12mm front and 15mm rear, the rears rubbed a little so I rolled the fenders and fixed that. When I switched to the Michelins, which have a significantly wider shoulders, I had to swapped the spacers and ran the 15mm up front and the 12mm in the rear. The right rear would rub a little on hard dips. I do think that by running the 15mm up front pushes the scrub radius out to much and caused additional tracking issues so I ordered some 10mm for the rears and put the 12mm back up front and am happy with this setup. No rubbing and the front doesn't wander anymore.
Yea - my setup is similar to yours likely in terms of height etc. It's weird, my car seems to be quite a bit more sensitive that most as far as aggressive fitment is concerned....luck of the draw I guess.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2020, 09:32 PM   #9
StarThreat
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: N54 E82

Quote:
Originally Posted by asbrr View Post
UPDATE 2: Well, the driver side rear rubs on deep dips on the angled part of the inner fender....alignment shop was never able to get the rear camber set according to factory spec (only got -1.5, factory spec for m-sport is around -1.9). Going to try that first and see if it fixes it.

Disappointed, thought for sure they would fit in the rear with a 10mm spacer considering it's 4-5mm more "inboard" than what a lot of folks run with 18x9.5 ET50 in the rear and don't seem to have issues.

Also weird that it's only the driver's side (so far I guess).
Hey fellow Torontonian! I am trying to figure out this exact same set up as well (https://www.1addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1744100). Alignment shop also got it at -1.5 rear camber. I do hear a metal grinding noise on deep dips. What did you end up doing (4 years later haha)?

I am thinking of asking them to go closer to a -2.0 deg camber, or should I just get the fenders rolled?
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2020, 08:07 AM   #10
asbrr
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarThreat View Post
Hey fellow Torontonian! I am trying to figure out this exact same set up as well (https://www.1addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1744100). Alignment shop also got it at -1.5 rear camber. I do hear a metal grinding noise on deep dips. What did you end up doing (4 years later haha)?

I am thinking of asking them to go closer to a -2.0 deg camber, or should I just get the fenders rolled?
Hey - replied to your post in the other thread, short answer, remove spacers or go to factory tire size or get the fenders rolled!! See here: https://www.1addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1271577
Appreciate 1