BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-16-2015, 07:23 PM   #1
PA135i
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i 08 CR-V

Bilstein Touring shocks

Anybody use these. Their $306 for all four for my 135i on Tire rack. I don't want to spend alot of money to replace my shocks and don't want a harsh ride either.
I want something with a stock or near stock comfort.
The Bilstein touring shocks are 10% stiffer than stock. that might be perfect for what I want. But I open to other suggestions..

Any advice is appreciated.. thanks.
Sparkling Graphite Metallic / 6MT / Terracotta Boston Leather / Sport Package / Comfort Access system / Gray Poplar wood trim / Heated front seats / iPod and USB adapter / HD radio / Premium hi-fi system / OE Tuning / VRSF Intercooler & charge pipe / BMW Performance short shift kit / BMW M Performance Handbrake Handle / BMW Stainless steel pedals / V1 hardwired / rear sun shades Pennsylvania 20 electoral votes
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 07:30 PM   #2
brocklanders
Major
Rep
Drives: the uno, mineral white

Garage List
06 325  [0.00]
I have a koni street kit I'd be willing to split up if you are interested. Right now I'm working and won't be home til the end of the week, so let me know and we could work something out. They are brand new never installed, I have no experience with them so you would have to do your own research. I simply chose a different route after I ordered them.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 07:39 PM   #3
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

I had the Bilstein Touring shocks(black color) on a VW Jetta I once owned... I was less than impressed. I was expecting a ride like their HD or Sport shocks. It was a very soft ride, like stock or even softer. I would not get them again(for any car). I am a fan of Bilstein HD's shocks and also Koni Yellows.

You can get a Bilstein B12 pro kit for $760... thats four shocks AND springs. I think that is a pretty good price.

http://www.ajusa.com/Bilstein-46-180...it-acb089.html
Appreciate 1
      03-16-2015, 07:51 PM   #4
PA135i
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Thanks Dack. can you tell me if the Bilstein HD's are not too harsh a ride? I will check into the deal. Do you recommend to do the springs also and why? Wouldn't my current springs be OK, Do they wear out like shocks? thanks
Sparkling Graphite Metallic / 6MT / Terracotta Boston Leather / Sport Package / Comfort Access system / Gray Poplar wood trim / Heated front seats / iPod and USB adapter / HD radio / Premium hi-fi system / OE Tuning / VRSF Intercooler & charge pipe / BMW Performance short shift kit / BMW M Performance Handbrake Handle / BMW Stainless steel pedals / V1 hardwired / rear sun shades Pennsylvania 20 electoral votes

Last edited by PA135i; 03-16-2015 at 07:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 07:59 PM   #5
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA135i View Post
Thanks Dack. can you tell me if the Bilstein HD's are not too harsh a ride? I will check into the deal. Do you recommend to do the springs also and why? thanks
Yes, I would replace the shocks AND springs. I would also replace the upper strut bearings(front shocks) and the rear shock hardware with Dinan shock mount kit.

Everyone says the springs are(too soft) to match the stiff run flat tire(sidewalls) on our cars. So that is why I would also replace the springs with ones that would give you a mild lowering ride height.

I've had the Bilstein HD's on VW's and my old e36 BMW. I like their ride. But they are "firm" shocks. You notice it mostly when say entering a driveway from a paved street to concrete driveway/slab. IF your area's roads have many potholes... its a hard choice. Koni Yellows are also stiff... but you can soften them with the "tuning knob". But the Koni's do seem to wear after a year or two. The Bilsteins seem to last forever... but they can be a little tough on rough roads. That's why I am interested in these new B12 shocks - they should be the best of both worlds.

Try searching... they are quite a few 1er's with the B10 or B12 shocks.

Dack
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 08:10 PM   #6
brocklanders
Major
Rep
Drives: the uno, mineral white

Garage List
06 325  [0.00]
I think most all would agree that the original shocks and struts leave a lot to be desired, but I think most would say if you are happy with the the suspension over all the original springs work well with an aftermarket strut as in a koni sport or the Bilstien hd.
Appreciate 1
      03-16-2015, 08:41 PM   #7
PA135i
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

This isn't an easy decision. I will need rear shocks at a minimum to pass state inspection here in PA. But thought why not do all four shocks. Then maybe the springs should be done also. All without a harsh ride. Guess I'll need to do alot of research, but thanks for the advice....I'm leaning toward the Bilstein HD's with the stock springs. After Dack's comment on the Bilstein Touring... They are out.

P.S. - The dealership wanted $1,100 to replace just the rear shocks.!
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2015, 07:29 PM   #8
PA135i
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Made an appointment today to replace the rear shocks with Bistein HD's.
Also having the car inspected, 4 wheel alignment, induction cleaning with new plugs and coilpacks. All for $1700 at a local indy shop. Thats seem like a good price for all I'm getting done.
Plus the shop will give me a free loaner.
Appreciate 1
      03-22-2015, 05:20 PM   #9
Olgeezer1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i 6MT Sport Pkg. 18"

Garage List
Used the Bilstein HD's with stock Sport package springs. Very happy with the results. Firm but not harsh. Runflats were harsh but they're long gone. Don't know that I'd change rears only though.
Appreciate 1
      03-22-2015, 09:15 PM   #10
PA135i
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olgeezer1 View Post
Used the Bilstein HD's with stock Sport package springs. Very happy with the results. Firm but not harsh. Runflats were harsh but they're long gone. Don't know that I'd change rears only though.
I asked the shop that about not doing all four. He said if the fronts are still OK with no bounce then I will be OK until they are in need of replacement.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2015, 02:53 PM   #11
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
I had the Bilstein Touring shocks(black color) on a VW Jetta I once owned... I was less than impressed. I was expecting a ride like their HD or Sport shocks. It was a very soft ride, like stock or even softer. I would not get them again(for any car). I am a fan of Bilstein HD's shocks and also Koni Yellows.

You can get a Bilstein B12 pro kit for $760... thats four shocks AND springs. I think that is a pretty good price.

http://www.ajusa.com/Bilstein-46-180...it-acb089.html
+1

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0