E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Cannot get garage door to register with opener in the car.

04-09-2006, 09:20 PM   #1
azzurribaggio
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2004 330ci E46/2006 325i E90

Cannot get garage door to register with opener in the car.

We tried getting out garage door to be used as one of the 3 functions keys under the rear-view mirror, but it won't work.
I followed everything in the manual where it states to have the remote 2-8 inches from the function key button and wait till it blinks rapidly to know that the code has been locked in.
Still no workie
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2006, 09:25 PM   #2
pdxE91
Rep
Drives: E91/325xiT

I had trouble too. What finally worked for me was holding the transmitter a couple inches behind the rearview mirror (between the mirror and windshield).
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2006, 09:38 PM   #3
CALIF65GM
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e93-35 May08 ED

Garage List
What brand is the garage door opener?

Many newer models use a rolling code for security reasons. If yours has a rolling code then you need the car to synch/learn the rolling code. You'll need to get to the "Learn" button on the garage door drive motor.

Debadged 330xi ED 11/14/05 Auto/Mystic Blue/Gray leather with Alum/PP/SP/CA/Fold-down rear seats/Alarm. Sold to Carmax on 6/7/08 with 50,624 miles on clock
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2006, 10:24 PM   #4
Pretender
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 06 330i, 07 328i, 16 X1, >17M2

Garage List
06 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxE91
I had trouble too. What finally worked for me was holding the transmitter a couple inches behind the rearview mirror (between the mirror and windshield).
I had that problem before until I hold the transmitter 1 inch from the mirror. Work flawlessly evey time. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2006, 10:42 PM   #5
hotsand5
hotsand5
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i 6spd

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
I was able to use a remote also like an inch right by the mirror, and also using the actualy garage motor (there is a learn button on the back) and had a friend in the car, under the opener and then sync'd them both.

-2005 Yamaha Warrior 1700 102cu"
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2006, 02:27 AM   #6
slicck
Rep
Drives: 330i

I had some trouble getting it to work at first too. The way I finally got it to work was to push the button on the mirror and your garage remote at the same time, then move the remote around the mirror slowly until you get it to blink rapidly.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2006, 09:34 AM   #7
bilbarstow
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i SG 6M ZPP ZSP

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
I am seriously having this problem as well. I tried multiple times with my original garage opener transmitter (old non-rolling code), and was never able to make that work. I have gone so far as to purchase and install a new opener transmitter (new rolling code type) and have done the whole "Learn" button on transmitter, mirror button to activate UGDO - and it still doesn't work. The manual's instructions are crap - I know every transmitter is different / unique, but you would think that BMW could at least supply process instructions that were not confusing. I have these nice (expensive) buttons on my mirror and I still have to carry a separate garage door opener ? Does anybody have any suggestions on how to synch a Rolling Code transmitter with the car UGDO ?
      04-10-2006, 10:25 AM   #8
no1sportz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

I have the same problem and got so frustrated last time I tried synching it I just gave up. I use rolling code and also have an 06 Toyota 4Runner. It is so easy to program the Toyota. The BMW...nope. Don't understand. I have never had problems with my prior BMWs.
05 ///M3 Imola/Black...gone
04 ///M3 Carbon Black...gone
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2006, 10:32 AM   #9
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

Have you guys checked out the manufacturers website ?
Its got instructions
www.homelink.com

Here is a copy from one of the pages

For first time training, press and hold the two outer HomeLink buttons, releasing only when the HomeLink indicator light begins to flash after 20 seconds. (Do not perform this step when training the additional HomeLink buttons.)

2. Position the hand-held transmitter 1-3 inches away from the HomeLink surface (located on your overhead), keeping the HomeLink indicator light in view.

3. Using both hands, simultaneously press and hold both the desired HomeLink button and hand held transmitter button. DO NOT release until the HomeLink indicator light flashes slowly and then rapidly. When the indicator light flashes rapidly, both buttons may be released. (The rapid flashing indicates successful training.)

Note: Some garage door openers may require you to replace step 3 with the “cycling” procedure noted in the “View Canadian Instructions” section.

4. Press and hold the trained HomeLink button and observe the indicator light.

If the indicator light is solid/continuous, training is complete and your device should activate when the HomeLink button is pressed and released.
If the indicator light blinks rapidly for 2 seconds and then turns a solid/continuous light, proceed with the following training instructions for a rolling code device. A second person may make the following steps quicker and easier. Please use a ladder or other device. Do not stand on your vehicle to perform the next steps.

5. At the garage door opener receiver (motorhead unit) in the garage, locate the “learn” or “smart” button (usually near where the hanging antenna wire is attached to the unit). If there is difficulty locating the training button, reference the garage door opener’s manual or contact us.

6. Press and release the “learn” or “smart” button (the name and color of the button may vary by manufacturer). NOTE: Once the button is pressed, there are 30 seconds in which to initiate the next step.

7. Return to the vehicle and firmly press and hold the trained HomeLink button for two seconds and release. Repeat the “press/hold/release” sequence up to 3 times to complete the training process.
      04-10-2006, 10:39 AM   #10
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep

Here is the european sites interactive guide

http://www.eurohomelink.com/_uk/popup_programming.html
      04-10-2006, 10:44 AM   #11
bilbarstow
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Fleet - as always you have the shortest path to the best info. I thought that BMW would adequately document a system in their car. Silly me.
Nowhere in the BMW book does it indicate that you have to program the button from the hand-held activator first (for rolling-code) then do the transmitter-learn process. Unfortunately, yesterday when I was up on a ladder, I didn't have a computer at my disposal, while I could carry the manual to the garage. I'll try these more detailed instructions tonight.
      04-10-2006, 02:48 PM   #12
Pretender
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 06 330i, 07 328i, 16 X1, >17M2

Garage List
06 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bilbarstow
I am seriously having this problem as well. I tried multiple times with my original garage opener transmitter (old non-rolling code), and was never able to make that work. I have gone so far as to purchase and install a new opener transmitter (new rolling code type) and have done the whole "Learn" button on transmitter, mirror button to activate UGDO - and it still doesn't work. The manual's instructions are crap - I know every transmitter is different / unique, but you would think that BMW could at least supply process instructions that were not confusing. I have these nice (expensive) buttons on my mirror and I still have to carry a separate garage door opener ? Does anybody have any suggestions on how to synch a Rolling Code transmitter with the car UGDO ?
Feel you, man. Why didn't you just get the Chamberlan from Costco? Work great.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2006, 05:13 PM   #13
gr8sho
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by azzurribaggio
We tried getting out garage door to be used as one of the 3 functions keys under the rear-view mirror, but it won't work.
I followed everything in the manual where it states to have the remote 2-8 inches from the function key button and wait till it blinks rapidly to know that the code has been locked in.
Still no workie
Somewhere on this board is a great write-up on this problem. Try doing a search. But the real trick as pointed out for rolling code systems is the need to hold the remote right up against the back of the rearview.

Baggio era forte, ma quest'anno sara' quello di Toni!!!
Jet Black - Burl Walnut - Black Leather - 6MT
Sport Package - Premium Package - Cold Weather Package
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2006, 06:03 PM   #14
ex-poster
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2000 328, 2006 330

Also, the trick is to - sadly - ignore the BMW instructions in the manual and follow the ones from the Homelink site that E90Fleet posted above.

Not sure why the manuals are so hard to keep up to date, but apparently they are. RTFM in this case is actually a bad thing!
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2006, 09:25 AM   #15
bilbarstow
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
first - big thanks to e90Fleet the Homelink instructions did the trick as I was able to make this work last night.

second - gr8sho - I was coming here yesterday morning to do a search when - surprise - this very topic was towards the top of the first page of posts as posted by azzurribaggio - so I just chimed in with my .02 - and was rewarded by a fast response from Fleet. What a great community !

Pretender - I was able to get just a new transmitter and fobs for my existing Genie Garage Door Opener - so this was the cheapest fix without a difficult install.

and smithrh - unfortunately, I used to write manuals for a living, so out of respect for my former profession, I always RTFM. This is just one of many times that this has burned me. How hard would it have been for BMW to print the url to the Homelink site in their manual - it would have saved them at least half of a page of confusing instructions.
      04-11-2006, 10:08 AM   #16
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilbarstow
first - big thanks to e90Fleet the Homelink instructions did the trick as I was able to make this work last night.

Glad to hear you got it to work
      04-11-2006, 11:58 AM   #17
jbnimble
Ireland
Rep
Drives: E46 330i, E90 330xi

Once I got mine to work, I referred back to the BMW Manual and it actually does make sense.
You need to remember 2 steps:
1. You have to program your mirror button so that it has the same code as your remote device. This is done by using the learning function on the mirror (holding for 5+ secs) while transmitting from the remote device. Distance /Position varies from user to user but normally approx 3-5 inches from the mirror.
2. Once the mirror has learned what to transmit, you activate the learning feature on your door opener. While it's active, usually for 30 secs, you hit the appropriate mirror button. Your garage door opener should flash it's lights to indicate it has accepted the signal.
Hope this simplifies it a little.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2006, 04:52 PM   #18
norwesterman
Rep
Drives: 335 08/SGry/prem/sport/cold/ca

I finally got this to work.

Just finished going through the same level of frustration on my new 330 picked up yesterday (hard to be frustrated with anything at the moment!!!).

The salesman couldn't get my remotes to work, and same thing happened with me after a dozen tries each with two different remotes at all different differences.

The trick was to hold the remote just behind the mirror (forward, between mirror and windshield) about two inches away, left side of mirror, so you are directly behind (forward of) the button pad. This worked first try with both remotes, whereas they wouldn't take if held at any other location relative to the buttons.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2006, 05:35 PM   #19
azzurribaggio
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2004 330ci E46/2006 325i E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbnimble
Once I got mine to work, I referred back to the BMW Manual and it actually does make sense.
You need to remember 2 steps:
1. You have to program your mirror button so that it has the same code as your remote device. This is done by using the learning function on the mirror (holding for 5+ secs) while transmitting from the remote device. Distance /Position varies from user to user but normally approx 3-5 inches from the mirror.
2. Once the mirror has learned what to transmit, you activate the learning feature on your door opener. While it's active, usually for 30 secs, you hit the appropriate mirror button. Your garage door opener should flash it's lights to indicate it has accepted the signal.
Hope this simplifies it a little.
I can get #1 to happen because I see the #2 LED blink which indicates it has learnt the garage door signal?

I don't know what #2 is regarding the "learning feature" on the door opener? I don't have one of these I think.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2006, 08:04 PM   #20
firstkill
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e93

on the back of the garage opener motor... there are a few dial and a button of some bright color.

Thats for the 2nd step.

So program your car with the remote ( i held the remote facing the rearview mirrow between the mirror and windshield )

Then press the buttom on the back of the garage opener and then press the program button in your car until hte garage opens or closes.

Better to have a friend push the button on the back so u can be in the car.

*** do not leave your car under the garage door to get access to that button ***

~fk
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2006, 12:23 AM   #21
martieg
Texas
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i Black Sph PP/SP/NV/MTk

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Thanks! It worked

I have been trying without success to program the HomeLink garage door opener in my new 330i. I read the BMW manual as well as the HomeLink manual. Nothing.

But your tip on holding the opener just one inch behind the rearview mirror worked flawlessly.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2006, 02:09 AM   #22
eshamas21
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '06 330i

On my parents 745 we tried everything and then when we talked to the dealer and they said if you have an older model garage door the car does not read it... i dunno if they were just BSing us or what.
Appreciate 0